Do you think the person needs to serve in the military to be president

Maybe we should ask them if that's what they think?

Why? Its more fun to put words in their mouths.

Besides, if you read their posts you don't need to ask.

TDM has stated dozens of times that she would never vote for a Republican. Pretty much says it right there.

Immie

Oh, does that mean she thinks not being a Republican is a REQUIREMENT? Or just a personal preference of hers? Note that there IS a difference.

It means she thinks all Republicans are unqualified which is in effect stating that they do not meet the requirements.

Immie

Why? Its more fun to put words in their mouths.

Besides, if you read their posts you don't need to ask.

TDM has stated dozens of times that she would never vote for a Republican. Pretty much says it right there.

Immie

Oh, does that mean she thinks not being a Republican is a REQUIREMENT? Or just a personal preference of hers? Note that there IS a difference.

It means she thinks all Republicans are unqualified which is in effect stating that they do not meet the requirements.

Immie

Really? She said they were unqualified? Linkee. Let's set her straight together.

Immie

Really? She said they were unqualified? Linkee. Let's set her straight together.

Okay, bod, I'm sorry that you did not understand that it was an attempt at humor. I can't help you any more than to say that.

And you can search all you want through her posts. Good luck since she can't spell unqualified if she has a dictionary in front of her. She has stated dozens of times that she will not vote for a Republican for any reason whatsoever.

edit: not to mention the fact that she never misspells a word the same way twice either.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Okay, bod, I'm sorry that you did not understand that it was an attempt at humor. I can't help you any more than to say that.

And you can search all you want through her posts. Good luck since she can't spell unqualified if she has a dictionary in front of her. She has stated dozens of times that she will not vote for a Republican for any reason whatsoever.

edit: not to mention the fact that she never misspells a word the same way twice either.

Immie

So disappointed that you attributed things to her that she did not say.

Although I don't think it should be required, I feel a Commander-in-Cheif would be more qualified with even a nominal amount of military experience.
....As if present-day Republicans are (even) CONCERNED about....

....military experience!!!!

mn-insight19_phb_421803005.jpg

Oh great freaking Eisenhower!

He's the guy that instead of supporting a grass roots, legally correct (according to international law), and democratic movement (at the time) in South Vietnam, decided to support a French colonial dictator in violation of international treaty.

A glowing example of a military dickhead!

Immie

tissue?

Immie

Oh, well, I am so sorry to disappoint you. Not really, but I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Immie

I mean he is the commander and chief of the military. Dont you think he should know something about the military before signing any orders to send our troops off to war??? And yes Bush served in the National guards before you liberal asses say anything:eusa_whistle:

1. No I don't think it should be mandatory. I served with some officers who I wouldn't trust to walk a dog, let alone be CIC.
2. I can't think of a single worse example you could have brought up, than Junior Bush. The moron had a very simple formula for dealing with line officers and Director level intels. Tell him exactly what he wanted to hear or resign. Then if things go wrong, blame everyone else.

I think military service is in general a plus for a President. Being Commander in Chief is an important part of the job, and serving in the uniformed military gives a President relevant experience. I also think experience in business and economics is good, and experience with the justice system.

All good points. Business and economics can be handled by advisers, but I'd rather have a veteran deciding if we need to send our nation's sons and daughters off to war than a chickenhawk.

It'd be difficult to change the Constitution making this a requirement. Reinstituting the draft would be easier and, in the long run, more beneficial since I think Congress would be benefited by having more veterans rather than the slew of lawyers and businessmen we have now.

Number of veterans in Congress likely to drop - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times
Seth McCormick Lynn, executive director of the Veterans’ Campaign, said Thursday that the number of veterans in the Senate — now 26 — might increase as a result of the election. But in the House of Representatives, the number of veterans is certain to decline from the current 95.

Of the total, 61 are Democrats — including two delegates — and 60 are Republicans.

A drop in the number of veterans in Congress would be significant, Lynn said. “The lack of military experience in Congress has implications far beyond foreign policy and national defense,” he said. “Veterans share a common bond that transcends party affiliation. Fewer veterans mean increasing polarization and partisanship.”

Immie

tissue?

Thanks...got some.

I know it's not a popular notion, but I believe that every individual who has served our country in the military is entitled to respect for that service, regardless of his/her political affiliation.

Any politician in the country the can be appropriately denigrated enough for their political views, their personal flaws, and even their ugliness. God knows most of them are corrupt bottom-feeders who deserve criticism. But it really bothers me to see their military service dismissed, diminished and disrespected. We should be better than that.

I know it's not a popular notion, but I believe that every individual who has served our country in the military is entitled to respect for that service, regardless of his/her political affiliation.

Any politician in the country the can be appropriately denigrated enough for their political views, their personal flaws, and even their ugliness. God knows most of them are corrupt bottom-feeders who deserve criticism. But it really bothers me to see their military service dismissed, diminished and disrespected. We should be better than that.

Agreed. The non-military types like Karl Rove had no qualms about smearing the military records of their political opponents including John McCain. McCain later spoke out against those spreading misinformation and lies about John Kerry. While I don't think much of John Kerry as a politician or what he did when he came back, I won't knock his record of service.

Of course not. Rich kids seldom serve. You assholes won't vote for anyone but fatcats.
.....And, are doing a damned-fine-job o' eliminating those who DO serve!!!!

"Ashley says her husband Jared tried to come to grips with what he'd seen and done on his eight deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"And there's no way that any God would forgive him - that he was going to hell," says Ashley. "He couldn't live with that any more."

"He just wanted to know what it felt like to be normal again," she says.

Staff Sgt. Hagemann had orders to return to Afghanistan this month for a ninth tour of duty."

romney_five_sons.jpg

:rolleyes:

A military background was never a consideration as to whether or not someone was qualified to become President.

However, more American Presidents have served in various military capacities than have not. Many of them with distinguished service records. Teddy Roosevelt won the Medal of Honor, Johnson the Silver Star, JFK the Purple Heart and the Navy and Marine Corp Medal and Bush Sr was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in WWII. Washington was General of the Armies and Eisenhower held the title of Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WWII.

But there has been nothing distinguished or distinguishing about wars in which America has engaged since WWII. So whether or not the man/woman seeking the Office of President of the United States has served in any military capacity has no relevance.

I mean he is the commander and chief of the military. Dont you think he should know something about the military before signing any orders to send our troops off to war??? And yes Bush served in the National guards before you liberal asses say anything:eusa_whistle:

I think it would be nice, for no other reason than it would give him an understanding of the sacrifices he's asking these men and women to make when he sends them somewhere.

I think EVERYONE should have military service - mandatory - at least two years. Service to country - not a bad concept.

In cases like Obama, at least it would teach sissy's like him how to properly salute.

Every time he comes off of Marine One and salutes the Lance Corporal, it makes me about fucking vomit.

I'd be sympathetic to idea that one must serve in some kind of national service just to VOTE, let along to become POTUS.

I think it would be nice, for no other reason than it would give him an understanding of the sacrifices he's asking these men and women to make when he sends them somewhere.

I don't think it makes that much difference.

I served in the Coast Guard Reserves. I have no true military training although a little bit of law enforcement training... about enough to get me killed in any kind of situation. I have absolutely zero combat experience. If I were President, I would not have any more understanding of the sacrifices I would be asking than President Obama does. That doesn't mean either one of us are not/or would not be concerned about the men and women sent into harm's way.

President Obama's lack of military experience doesn't mean he doesn't care about our soldier's called to possibly give the ultimate sacrifice. He also has advisers to assist him in those kinds of decisions. A smart leader will use his advisers in such a situation.

I do think military service is a good thing and can be a very good thing for a Commander-in-Chief. I don't think it is a requirement.

And another thing, President Bush did serve. It was President Bush that initialized our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. Did he somehow have more understanding of the risks than President Obama? I don't really think so.

If you want understanding about the potential risks that a soldier going into battle would take from the CinC, then you would have to insist that the CinC not only have military experience but combat experience as well.

Immie

John Kerry put himself in for three purple hearts in a few months and re-submitted requests when they were turned down and then got the hell out on a technicality when he got them, then testified under oath he committed war crimes.

Al Gore had an entourage of personal security in Vietnam to make sure the Senators boy didn't get a paper cut.

John McCain on the other hand refused to leave the Hanoi Hilton because he was the son of a Senator because it wasn't his turn.

What John McCain has over the prior two is he actually is a war hero. How he's like the prior two is that he'd have made one God awful President. Military service is no litmus test.

There was no war going on when the "ass we have in office" was of fighting age.
I guess when the Lebonon war was going on we were not involved. Oh yeah we were. My husband was over there!:cuckoo:

Plus these others were happening in the 80. He is the same age is DH so I know he was of age.

Major civil discontent and violence occurred in the Middle East, including the Iran-Iraq War, the ongoing Soviet-Afghan War, the 1982 Lebanon War, the Bombing of Libya in 1986, and the First Intifada in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

I went to Lebanon myself, and I'm a service connected disabled veteran because of it. Yes the kenyan is plenty old enough to have served and been in a combat situation. He was to busy organizing the community though.

In answer to the OP, yes, I would prefer a President that has military experience. Should it be a requirement? I'm undecided.

I was there in 83 on an amphib

Forum List

Back