Do you think the person needs to serve in the military to be president

John Kerry served in Vietnam, then scraped his knuckles 3 times while dragging his camera around to record his "heroism" (sic). He was awarded a medal for this "bravery" (sic). He later came back and disgraced himself and our country by lying to Congress about his exploits.

So no, I don't think military service is as important as the the character of person we elect.

And your Viet Nam exploits to compare with Kerry's?

i spent christmas in cambodia with kerry.

we compared our collections of gook ears.

Ah, Brown Water Navy, eh?

John Kerry served in Vietnam, then scraped his knuckles 3 times while dragging his camera around to record his "heroism" (sic). He was awarded a medal for this "bravery" (sic). He later came back and disgraced himself and our country by lying to Congress about his exploits.

So no, I don't think military service is as important as the the character of person we elect.

What are yours to compare with Bush's? Or is that different?

i got drunk in texas- same/same

Oh, there are a lot of things I didn't do. I didn't:

- Put myself in for purple hearts without missing a single day of duty
- Leave Vietnam on a technicality
- Re-put myself in for purple hearts when my first request was turned down
- Wait for my commander who turned down my purple hearts without my missing a day of duty to be re-assigned then re-re-put myself in for purple hearts
- Leave Vietnam with three "purple hearts" I received without missing a day of duty
- Claim I knew the US was in Cambodia because I was on a river between Cambodia and Vietnam on Christmas when I was never in Vietnam on Christmas and there is no river between Cambodia and Vietnam
- Claim to have thrown the ribbons I still have over the White House fence to protest Vietnam
- Call our troops in Iraq "terrorists"
- Claim I committed war crimes under oath in congressional testimony
- Claim I lived the life of the movie "platoon" while spending three months on a boat

What did you do in Vietnam?

So what did you do in Viet Nam?

As I said, if you have a problem with Kerry's medals. Take it up with the Department of the Navy. Judicial Watch already tried to paint Kerry as a "false medial recipient" and failed. The Navy ruled he was entitled to his awards.

So good luck with that.

I didn't do anything in Viet Nam. I wasn't born yet.

the navy ruled that they couldn't go back 30 years and determine the truth.

not quite the same thing.

my draft number was 13 in 1973-nixon ended the war- i entered NROTC

Okay, they determined that the medals were properly awarded. So either Kerry was entitled to them (properly) or his commanders were involved in fraud.

I'll go with Occam's razor. I find it obnoxious to characterize Kerry's purple hearts as "band aid" awards. The standard for "combat wounded" doesn't require the loss of life, limb, or eyesight. He still volunteered during a time of war, found himself in the combat zone, and was wounded three times and received a Silver Star.

I can understand why people would be pissed about what Kerry did when he got home. It doesn't change the nature of his honorable service.

I think military service is in general a plus for a President. Being Commander in Chief is an important part of the job, and serving in the uniformed military gives a President relevant experience. I also think experience in business and economics is good, and experience with the justice system.

What are yours to compare with Bush's? Or is that different?

Well, I actually served Regular Navy, and didn't try to dodge anything and showed up for duty every day for 21 years. I missed Vietnam, was already overseas during Grenada and Panama, and VOLUNTEERED for Desert Storm One, but it ended before I was shipped.

So what did you do in Viet Nam?

As I said, if you have a problem with Kerry's medals. Take it up with the Department of the Navy. Judicial Watch already tried to paint Kerry as a "false medial recipient" and failed. The Navy ruled he was entitled to his awards.

So good luck with that.

I didn't do anything in Viet Nam. I wasn't born yet.

Okay, they determined that the medals were properly awarded. So either Kerry was entitled to them (properly) or his commanders were involved in fraud.

I'll go with Occam's razor. I find it obnoxious to characterize Kerry's purple hearts as "band aid" awards. The standard for "combat wounded" doesn't require the loss of life, limb, or eyesight. He still volunteered during a time of war, found himself in the combat zone, and was wounded three times and received a Silver Star.

I can understand why people would be pissed about what Kerry did when he got home. It doesn't change the nature of his honorable service.

he lied repeatedly. he's a fraud. he did spend 4 months incountry.

i've got no use for him, and i consider him an embarrassment to the naval service.

i've got no use for him, and i consider him an embarrassment to the naval service.

Lied about what?

Lied about what?

pick a subject. he's lied about it.

he lied about giving his medals back in protest over nam.

he lied about being in cambodia.

he lied under oath about atrocities in nam.

he lied about paying taxes on his goddamn boat (still hasn't paid them, btw)

i've been saddled with him as a senator for longer than i care to think about, and if he's spoken about it, he's lied about it-or been for it before he was against it, if you prefer. :lol:

but he did spend 4 month incountry

I mean he is the commander and chief of the military. Dont you think he should know something about the military before signing any orders to send our troops off to war??? And yes Bush served in the National guards before you liberal asses say anything:eusa_whistle:

No, I don't think they need to serve, many haven't, but it sure does no harm if they did. They have instant credibility on certain issues.

"natural born being defined as both parents having also been born in the United States, which means the Usurper in Chief is ineligible to be president."

Sorry.... Couldn't resist.

For the record, I did not say nor insinuate that. Nor have I been one of the conspiracy theorist who harp about his citizenship. However, when the issue did first come to my attention, I did entertain the idea that if it were true it would end his hope of becoming POTUS.

Immie

I know. I was kidding.

I know. I wasn't.

Immie

More service then the ass we have in office ..

There was no war going on when the "ass we have in office" was of fighting age.
I guess when the Lebonon war was going on we were not involved. Oh yeah we were. My husband was over there!:cuckoo:

Plus these others were happening in the 80. He is the same age is DH so I know he was of age.

Major civil discontent and violence occurred in the Middle East, including the Iran-Iraq War, the ongoing Soviet-Afghan War, the 1982 Lebanon War, the Bombing of Libya in 1986, and the First Intifada in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

I went to Lebanon myself, and I'm a service connected disabled veteran because of it. Yes the kenyan is plenty old enough to have served and been in a combat situation. He was to busy organizing the community though.

In answer to the OP, yes, I would prefer a President that has military experience. Should it be a requirement? I'm undecided.

There are only three requirements for President...everything else is just the voter's preferences.

According to some there are four.

1) natural born citizen

2) Age 35

3) Having lived in the U.S. for 14 years

4) Being an extreme liberal.

Some people exchange conservative for that fourth requirement.

Immie

Have my copy of the Constitution right here...can you point out where #4 is please?

Note the opening sentence of my post:

Who said it was constitutional? It just seems to be what some people think. I didn't say they were right. Nor did I say you were one of those. I was thinking TDM, rdean and a whole buttload (excuse the french) of conservatives.

Immie

1) natural born citizen

2) Age 35

3) Having lived in the U.S. for 14 years

4) Being an extreme liberal.

Some people exchange conservative for that fourth requirement.

Immie

Have my copy of the Constitution right here...can you point out where #4 is please?

Who said it was constitutional? It just seems to be what some people think. I didn't say they were right. Nor did I say you were one of those. I was thinking TDM, rdean and a whole buttload (excuse the french) of conservatives.

Immie

Maybe we should ask them if that's what they think?

Immie

Why? Its more fun to put words in their mouths.

Besides, if you read their posts you don't need to ask.

TDM has stated dozens of times that she would never vote for a Republican. Pretty much says it right there.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

TDM has stated dozens of times that she would never vote for a Republican. Pretty much says it right there.

Immie

Oh, does that mean she thinks not being a Republican is a REQUIREMENT? Or just a personal preference of hers? Note that there IS a difference.

Lied about what?

pick a subject. he's lied about it.

he lied about giving his medals back in protest over nam.

he lied about being in cambodia.

he lied under oath about atrocities in nam.

he lied about paying taxes on his goddamn boat (still hasn't paid them, btw)

i've been saddled with him as a senator for longer than i care to think about, and if he's spoken about it, he's lied about it-or been for it before he was against it, if you prefer. :lol:

but he did spend 4 month incountry

As I said, of all those objections, one of them actually relates to Kerry's service in Viet Nam (maybe two if you count the Winter Soldier stuff). As I said, If people want to loath Kerry for what he did when he got home, I get that. I don't get why people want to attack his service record, when there is no indication that he falsified anything. It's not terribly inspiring to me that a fraud like Jerome Corsi was the "creative mind" behind the whole SBVT campaign.

As for "Cambodia", I can chalk that up to a "lost LT". It's without doubt that he was close to Cambodia. At any rate, with the exception of one, every single man who served under Kerry supported him and said he was a good officer. That says more to me than anything else.

At any rate, Kerry clarified the manner. He was close to Cambodia on Christmas. He was across the border later on ferrying SOG operatives.

"Meet the Press" transcript for Jan. 30 - Meet the Press - msnbc.com

For the record, I think Kerry is a douche too. I voted for him, because I hated Bush. However, he's a lousy politician. He'd walk across a room to stick a foot in his mouth.

I respect his service though, and find that many of the people who are willing to smear it never saw a day of service, let alone combat service.

Immie

Oh, does that mean she thinks not being a Republican is a REQUIREMENT? Or just a personal preference of hers? Note that there IS a difference.

:rolleyes:

thanks for pointing that out, cdr obvious

Forum List

Back