Do you believe oil is a limited resource?

akelch

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Curious....how many people think oil to be a non-renewable resource and that it is made from plants and animals?

What if it is not and we have a LOT more then they are telling us? What if we can never run out because the earths creates more then what we can use?

How would that change your thinking about oil as a energy source?

http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/05/24777/

Oil is a renewable resource that comes from organic material. There was no period of time, no epoch in which there was organic material, and after that there was no more organic material. It's like saying the world could run out of lava if the volcanoes keep spitting up.

Oil is a renewable resource that comes from organic material. There was no period of time, no epoch in which there was organic material, and after that there was no more organic material. It's like saying the world could run out of lava if the volcanoes keep spitting up.

Are you sure it is organic? We have been taught that it comes from the breakdown of organic materials...thus taking "millions" of years to create.

Some scientist believe that the earth makes it continuously through non organic elements ...thus the production does not take years to makes and we can never run out.

They also say that the current estimated world oil reserves could be way off....maybe by a factor of 100.

Food for thought as our gas prices reach $5.00 a gallon this summer.

Curious....how many people think oil to be a non-renewable resource and that it is made from plants and animals?

What if it is not and we have a LOT more then they are telling us? What if we can never run out because the earths creates more then what we can use?

Sustainable oil?

I'm familiar with this theory that petroleum is the by product of living organisms that thrive deep down in the earth.

The problem I have with it is that no such organisms have ever been found.

Hydrocarbons originate from carbon-rich organic matter. It is finite in terms of the human epoch.
And yes there's more of it than we're being led to believe.
Finding it and bringing it to market is the challenge.

Yes, the sun is a limited source of energy. It's just a matter of time.

Running out of oil is not the problem. Getting more energy from it is the problem. Declining oil EROEI & increasing Chinese consumption means a decline in the amount of oil energy each of us get reguardless of the price you pay.

This is having the same effect as "Peak Oil" theory. What we are truly having is peak net oil energy reguardless of price. Declining EROEI means declining net oil energy. That means less gas in consumers tanks because oil producers keep using more fuel to get oil out of the ground.

Sustainable oil?

I'm familiar with this theory that petroleum is the by product of living organisms that thrive deep down in the earth.

Sorry, that is not the theory.
And yes, some scientist believe it is created deep in the earth (20 miles) and is made from chemical reactions and tremendous pressure....but not from organic materials.

Sustainable oil?

Living organisms that were never found before are found all the time.

NASA Finds New Life (Updated)

Giant Viruses Are Ancient Living Organisms : Discovery News

Just a couple for instance.

The vast majority do not agree with you.

Agree or not....the evidence is in my favor.

If you say so.

You obviously don't want to discuss it, you just want people to agree with you, so believe what you want.

My point is that if this article is true (which I believe it is) then we are being lied to by the government and the oil industry.

Why would they lie?
Well to keep the value of oil artificially high. And to push for more tax dollars for alternative energy investments.

This is a world commodity that effects everyone.

Control the oil (if it is limited)....control the world.

Abiogenic petroleum

Abiogenic petroleum origin is a hypothesis that was proposed as an alternative mechanism of petroleum origin. It was popular in the past, but most geologists now consider it obsolete, and favor instead the biological origin of petroleum.

According to the abiogenic hypothesis, petroleum was formed from deep carbon deposits, perhaps dating to the formation of the Earth. Supporters of the abiogenic hypothesis suggest that a great deal more petroleum exists on Earth than commonly thought, and that petroleum may originate from carbon-bearing fluids that migrate upward from the mantle.

The hypothesis was first proposed by Georg Agricola in the 16th century and various abiogenic hypotheses were proposed in the 19th century, most notably by Prussian geographer Alexander von Humboldt, the Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev and the French chemist Marcellin Berthelot.

Abiogenic hypotheses were revived in the last half of the 20th century by Soviet scientists who had little influence outside the Soviet Union because most of their research was published in Russian. The hypothesis was re-defined and made popular in the West by Thomas Gold who published all his research in English.

Although the abiogenic hypothesis was accepted by many geologists in the former Soviet Union, it fell out of favor at the end of the 20th century because it never made any useful prediction for the discovery of oil deposits.

The abiogenic origin of petroleum has also recently been reviewed in detail by Glasby, who raises a number of objections, including that there is no direct evidence to date of abiogenic petroleum (liquid crude oil and long-chain hydrocarbon compounds).

Geologists now consider the abiogenic formation of petroleum scientifically unsupported, and they agree that petroleum is formed from organic material. However, the abiogenic theory can't be dismissed yet because the mainstream theory still has to be established conclusively.

Abiogenic petroleum origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back