Do you believe oil is a limited resource?

Curious....how many people think oil to be a non-renewable resource and that it is made from plants and animals?

What if it is not and we have a LOT more then they are telling us? What if we can never run out because the earths creates more then what we can use?

How would that change your thinking about oil as a energy source?

Sustainable oil?

I'm familiar with this theory that petroleum is the by product of living organisms that thrive deep down in the earth.

The problem I have with it is that no such organisms have ever been found.

Sorry, that is not the theory.
And yes, some scientist believe it is created deep in the earth (20 miles) and is made from chemical reactions and tremendous pressure....but not from organic materials.

seems like if that were the case the process would be easily duplicated in the lab.

is that the case?

If you say so.

You obviously don't want to discuss it, you just want people to agree with you, so believe what you want.

Which is exactly why you don't ever quote ASPO. True believers certainly consider neither evidence, nor facts, nor history, prior to making up their minds and then forming a religion designed to co-opt others more gullible.

The same pop-culture idiots who believe that oil is a limited (American) resource apparently just love the stupid reality series that glorifies Arab oil wealth. What is it, the "sheiks of Beverly Hills" or some such nonsense? Yeah the resource is limited to another couple of hundred years but we need to use the God given resource while we try to create other sources of energy. Barry Hussein uses enough fossil fuel in a campaign tour to fuel every SUV in the US for a year and he never stops campaigning. The issue is phony.

The same pop-culture idiots who believe that oil is a limited (American) resource apparently just love the stupid reality series that glorifies Arab oil wealth. What is it, the "sheiks of Beverly Hills" or some such nonsense? Yeah the resource is limited to another couple of hundred years but we need to use the God given resource while we try to create other sources of energy. Barry Hussein uses enough fossil fuel in a campaign tour to fuel every SUV in the US for a year and he never stops campaigning. The issue is phony.

What perplexes me is the idolatry that is heaped upon the American Farmer.
Think about it- they are the Sheiks of Dirt in this country.

Domestic crude oil and natural gas producers are however frowned upon as simply the Dirt of this country. Yet, agriculture can not survive without hydrocarbons.

Now tell me, who is giving lip service and who is giving service.

Love one, fuck another.

Great point!
We destroy more land (and farmland) by putting up windmills and solar panels vs drilling for oil and digging for coal.

Not to mention the wastefulness of requiring us to use corn in our gas.

Agree or not....the evidence is in my favor.

If you say so.

You obviously don't want to discuss it, you just want people to agree with you, so believe what you want.

My point is that if this article is true (which I believe it is) then we are being lied to by the government and the oil industry.

Why would they lie?
Well to keep the value of oil artificially high. And to push for more tax dollars for alternative energy investments.

This is a world commodity that effects everyone.

Control the oil (if it is limited)....control the world.

Why would the oil industry want to keep prices high and encourage alternative energy investments?

If you say so.

My point is that if this article is true (which I believe it is) then we are being lied to by the government and the oil industry.

Why would they lie?
Well to keep the value of oil artificially high. And to push for more tax dollars for alternative energy investments.

Why would the oil industry want to keep prices high and encourage alternative energy investments?

What alternative? And who do you believe is investing in the "alternative energy"? The oil industry.

By keeping the cost of producing oil high by regulations and limited areas that can be drilled (aka not in ANWR) it keeps out competition. Plus they get tax breaks from our federal government.

So they control our energy and our government.

Open up drilling and lower regulations and you will see our economy take off.

Why would they lie?

What alternative? And who do you believe is investing in the "alternative energy"? The oil industry.

By keeping the cost of producing oil high by regulations and limited areas that can be drilled (aka not in ANWR) it keeps out competition. Plus they get tax breaks from our federal government.

So they control our energy and our government.

Open up drilling and lower regulations and you will see our economy take off.

You made the claim.
Here, let me remind you;
Why would they lie?

Depends, I suppose, on how one defines "limited"

Obviously there is not an infinite amount of it.

The real questions are how much is there and how quickly does the earth make it? We are taught that we are running out and that it takes millions of years to create it.

I believe (per the articles I sighted) that we have been lied to and oil is extremely abundant and is created in large quantities by the earth every day.

The real questions are how much is there and how quickly does the earth make it? We are taught that we are running out and that it takes millions of years to create it.

I believe (per the articles I sighted) that we have been lied to and oil is extremely abundant and is created in large quantities by the earth every day.

The OPERATIVE verb in the above is BELIEVE.

Do you also have any beliefs about HOW it is being made?

Is it being made by organisms or a product of geological forces and in either case, what forces are making it and out of what materials?

Of course Oil is a renewable resource. Even if it runs out underground we can always extract it from the heads of OWS protesters.

The OPERATIVE verb in the above is BELIEVE.

Do you also have any beliefs about HOW it is being made?

Is it being made by organisms or a product of geological forces and in either case, what forces are making it and out of what materials?

The theory's adherents believe that oil originated as carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas rising through the deep layers of the Earth's crust.[1] If this mixture was to find zirconium-containing minerals, it would react and produce petroleum hydrocarbons. Some of these would move close enough to the surface to be exploitable by humanity.

Last edited:
Hydrocarbons originate from carbon-rich organic matter. It is finite in terms of the human epoch.
And yes there's more of it than we're being led to believe.
Finding it and bringing it to market is the challenge.

Especially when you have an administration that is hostile to the industry.

Hydrocarbons originate from carbon-rich organic matter. It is finite in terms of the human epoch.
And yes there's more of it than we're being led to believe.
Finding it and bringing it to market is the challenge.

Especially when you have an administration that is hostile to the industry.

They didn't have a problem with it 100 years ago. Why now? Especially with the highway system we currently have.

Forum List

Back