Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don't think we'll ever know until we die

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Something Else (Specify)

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
I love 2 Timothy!

2 Timothy 3:16

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."
Like I said, the guys wrote whatever they wanted to ("breathed out by god", completely without foundation). And it's profitable! Gee, who woulda thunk it? :D

Men write everything, but you just want to pick and choose what you believe.
that being said, yes, I believe the men that wrote the Bible had the Holy Spirit guiding them in their writings.
I totally understand why a non-believer would consider Christianity silliness. Even God says that as well....

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God

A god that if not adulated, burns you forever, surely does not exist.

that's not how it works.
God doesn't burn you. You make the choice to reject him.

Or Any Of These Little Goobers:

There were 42 death penalty sins in the Old Testament:

1. Murder. Genesis 9:6.

2. Failing to circumcize. Genesis 17:14.

3. Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Exodus 12:15, 19.

4. Smiting parents. Exodus 21:15.

5. Kidnapping. Exodus 21:16.

6. Cursing parents. Exodus 21:17.

7. Negligence with animals that kill. Exodus 21:28-32.

8. Witchcraft. Exodus 22:18.

9. Bestiality. Exodus 22:19.

10. Idolatry. Exodus 22:20.

11. Making holy anointing oil without authorization. Exodus 30:33.

12. Putting holy anointing oil on strangers. Exodus 30:33.

13. Making the holy perfume without being commanded to do so. Exodus 30:38.

14. Defiling the Sabbath. Exodus 31:14.

15. Working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2.

16. Eating the flesh of the peace offering in uncleanness. Leviticus 7:20-21.

17. Eating the fat of sacrifices. Leviticus 7:25.

18. Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the Tabernacle. Leviticus 17:1-9.

19. Eating blood. Leviticus 17:10-14.

20. Incest. Leviticus 18:6-29.

21. Eating sacrifices at the wrong time. Leviticus 19:5-8.

22. Consecration of children to idols. Leviticus 20:1-5.

23. Spiritualism. Leviticus 20:6, 27.

24. Adultery. Leviticus 20:10.

25. Men lying with men in religious prostitution. Leviticus 20:13.

26. Relationship with a menstrous woman. Leviticus 20:18.

27. Whoredom. Leviticus 21:9.

28. Sacrilege. Leviticus 22:3.

29. Refusing to fast on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:29.

30. Working on the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:30.

31. Blasphemy. Leviticus 24:24:11-16.

32. Failure to keep the Passover. Numbers 9:13.

33. Presumptous sins. Numbers 15:30-31.

34. Gathering fire-wood on the Sabbath. Numbers 15:32-36.

35. Failure to purify one's self before worship. Numbers 19:13, 20.

36. False prophesy. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

37. Leading mean away from God. Deuteronomy 13:6-18.

38. Backsliding. Deuteronomy 17:2-7.

39. Stubbornness and rebellion. Deuteronomy 21:18-23.

40. Gluttony. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

41. Drunkenness. Deuteronomy 21:20-23.

42. False dreams and visions. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.

I love 2 Timothy!

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."
Like I said, the guys wrote whatever they wanted to ("breathed out by god", completely without foundation). And it's profitable! Gee, who woulda thunk it? :D

that being said, yes, I believe the men that wrote the Bible had the Holy Spirit guiding them in their writings.
I totally understand why a non-believer would consider Christianity silliness. Even God says that as well....

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God
So your god had his gofer nailed to wood in a diaper so you could see his power? Ya, I'm scared. :D

I love 2 Timothy!

Yep.....the mind is capable of a lot when someone is delusional:

Mark 16:
17"These signs will accompany them that believe: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; 18they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

20140226_113914_Kentucky-Snake-Handlers.jpg

It's a shame you categorize people and generalize..
Not all Christian's are like this or believe this is Godly etc.
The people (as above pictured) do more damage to the Christian faith then any nay-sayers can or ever will.
It's a shame because there is an abundant and glorious life to be found in Christ Jesus..

The people (as above pictured) do more damage to the Christian faith then any nay-sayers can or ever will.
It's a shame because there is an abundant and glorious life to be found in Christ Jesus..
Then simply translate this scripture and tell me what it means:

Mark 16:
17"These signs will accompany them that believe: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; 18they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

One thing Christians have in common. They read the book then make up their own minds what it means. That's why as of 2012 there were about 45,000 different Christian denominations.

The fact of the matter is that it is the most contradictory thing I've ever read. 'Course who expected much more than that from people who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. All this came about 500 years before paper was invented and it was in Asia then.

Last edited:
Then simply translate this scripture and tell me what it means:

Mark 16:

But not for show.. many do this for show, not for God..... it simply means they will not be harmed, as Paul was bitten by a snake and survived....

I agree, but it was still kind of funny. Lol. My auntie is nothing like a lot of other Christians. She is a "live and let live" kind of person. She spreads the word by taking people into her home around the holidays who don't have anywhere else to go, giving of herself by doing a LOT of volunteer work to help those who are less fortunate, etc.

Spin all you like but the simple imperative sentence "Fear God" is very straightforward. Verb; direct object. No reference to extraneous qualifiers. Don't sit here and preach to me about ignorance; I need English lessons from no one.
Yep, you're absolutely correct, Pogo. "Fear God." is exactly that. Fear God. If you stand in front of God and feel at that very instant you are about to be sent to the very depths of Hell you do not know God.

I guess technically that's true -- what you do "know" is the agenda of those who put the God-puppet up and then stood offstage going " whooo! Scary monster!".

--- which of course is usually followed by, "but good news... I have the exclusive way to keep you safe. Just send us $____ in "protection" money. Nice human existence you have there -- would be a shame if something were to... you know.... happen to it... "

Spin all you like but the simple imperative sentence "Fear God" is very straightforward. Verb; direct object. No reference to extraneous qualifiers. Don't sit here and preach to me about ignorance; I need English lessons from no one.
Yep, you're absolutely correct, Pogo. "Fear God." is exactly that. Fear God. If you stand in front of God and feel at that very instant you are about to be sent to the very depths of Hell you do not know God.

I guess technically that's true -- what you do "know" is the agenda of those who put the God-puppet up and then stood offstage going " whooo! Scary monster!".

--- which of course is usually followed by, "but good news... I have the exclusive way to keep you safe. Just send us $____ in "protection" money. Nice human existence you have there -- would be a shame if something were to... you know.... happen to it... "

The "fear of God" is how they got people to behave back in the old days. With no way to police all of the citizens in a specific area, I think they realized they had to do something because MAN is not inherently a "nice guy." :)

The "fear of God" is how they got people to behave back in the old days. With no way to police all of the citizens in a specific area, I think they realized they had to do something because MAN is not inherently a "nice guy." :)
It's also a whey they kept women in their place...as sub-servant to the male dominance...

Eh --- I dunno, that's a cynical way to look at it. I think my view that it's a mass-manipulation tool to channel sociopolitical power into the hands of the power-greedy is actually less cynical in that it means "man" (humanity) is basically good, except for those who set out to institutionalize their own greed.

Every society that's ever developed anywhere comes up with social and moral codes that keep their masses in line. They usually rely on the peer pressure of each other (real people) rather than a contrived mythical Guy-in-the-Sky. It's what we call, especially when we overdo it, "PC".

Eh --- I dunno, that's a cynical way to look at it. I think my view that it's a mass-manipulation tool to channel sociopolitical power into the hands of the power-greedy is actually less cynical in that it means "man" (humanity) is basically good, except for those who set out to institutionalize their own greed.

Every society that's ever developed anywhere comes up with social and moral codes that keep their masses in line. They usually rely on the peer pressure of each other (real people) rather than a contrived mythical Guy-in-the-Sky. It's what we call, especially when we overdo it, "PC".

Well.....most of them need a little something from the supernatural:

rel_pie.gif

Oh, I agree. But back then, things were much different. A lot of people were not educated and were ignorant. I really do believe that is why religion was invented. It was a way to keep the people in line without having to police large areas. I'm sure they also lacked jails and officers of the law, so . . . they came up with a "fear of a God" if you misbehave. :D

Oh, I agree. But back then, things were much different. A lot of people were not educated and were ignorant. I really do believe that is why religion was invented. It was a way to keep the people in line without having to police large areas. I'm sure they also lacked jails and officers of the law, so . . . they came up with a "fear of a God" if you misbehave. :D

That 10% of everything people worked for wasn't too sleazy either. If you doubt for a minute that there's not some serious money donated to churches consider Vatican City then consider that churches own more real property than any entity in the world except the governments. I figure there are millions of lazy assholes working a couple of days a week when they should go out and find an honest job.

That 10% of everything people worked for wasn't too sleazy either. If you doubt for a minute that there's not some serious money donated to churches consider Vatican City then consider that churches own more real property than any entity in the world except the governments. I figure there are millions of lazy assholes working a couple of days a week when they should go out and find an honest job.

Well, to be fair, that is the recommendation, but I don't think you HAVE to give that much or anything at all if you can't. However, I see your point. Televangelists are even more sleazy though. Lol. I sometimes wonder how these people can lay their heads on their pillows and sleep at night.

Well, to be fair, that is the recommendation, but I don't think you HAVE to give that much or anything at all if you can't. However, I see your point. Televangelists are even more sleazy though. Lol. I sometimes wonder how these people can lay their heads on their pillows and sleep at night.

WOW! My sentiments exactly. Jerry Falwell was the founder of "The Moral Majority" and Liberty College. He lived in a mansion behind a 12ft. high fence with a lot of security cameras and the like. I've often wondered what he was afraid of. I guess he didn't believe the scripture about a rich man having as much chance of going to heaven as a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.
Two young missionaries from his college showed up at my kitchen door about six or eight weeks ago. When they told me what they wanted and asked where we could sit down(I didn't invite them into the house) I told them not to waste their time because I wasn't superstitious. When folks come to my door with that stuff that's my standard reply. A couple of years ago a man came to my door doing the same thing for Jehovahs Witnesses and when I told him I wasn't superstitious he said, "On What I Have For You isn't Superstition." I replied, "The Hell It Isn't...To Me It Is!"

Forum List

Back