Do We Need Religion?

The mindset of religion, which embraces and honors ignorance ad shies away from discovery and open questioning and honest analysis, is counterproductive to human progress.

-James T. Beukema

I find it curious that all Christians can turn a critical eye to Islam, and dismiss Thor, Zeus, and innumerable other deities due to a lack of evidence- yet they steadfastly refuse to turn that gaze upon themselves, lashing out at any and all who dare question dogma or apply reason to their hypothesis. This trait seems inherent to religion itself, and has long been a great source of humanity's woes.

-JTB

The mindset of religion, which embraces and honors ignorance ad shies away from discovery and open questioning and honest analysis, is counterproductive to human progress.

-James T. Beukema

I find it curious that all Christians can turn a critical eye to Islam, and dismiss Thor, Zeus, and innumerable other deities due to a lack of evidence- yet they steadfastly refuse to turn that gaze upon themselves, lashing out at any and all who dare question dogma or apply reason to their hypothesis. This trait seems inherent to religion itself, and has long been a great source of humanity's woes.

-JTB

How honest is scientific analysis when it's conclusions are in complete denial? A vacant mind is a terrible thing to waste, JB. You might begin with that conclusion.

Anne Marie

How honest is scientific analysis when it's conclusions are in complete denial?
How love how much you can speak while saying absolutely nothing intelligence it's quite impressive. Since you deny scientific facts and reason that you accuse those smarter of you of being in denial of your delusions is laughable :lol:

How honest is scientific analysis when it's conclusions are in complete denial?
How love how much you can speak while saying absolutely nothing intelligence it's quite impressive. Since you deny scientific facts and reason that you accuse those smarter of you of being in denial of your delusions is laughable :lol:

I have a great deal of respect for science. What's remarkable about you is that Science does not explicitly address the issue of the spiritual realm as non-existent. You do. That says alot about your self-proclaimed caliber of intelligence and scientific expertise on a subject you deny even exists.

How remarkably interesting, indeed.

Anne Marie

What's remarkable about you is that Science does not explicitly address the issue of the spiritual realm as non-existent.

Nor doe sit 'prove that pixies and dragons don't exist' :cuckoo:

If you assert its existence, you bear the burden of proof to demonstrate that it does, in fact, exist

No actually I don't. Nor do I have to prove to anyone else except for the one I love that I love them. In fact that's not even a requirement beyond the obvious devotion I would naturally exercise to this person. The burden of proof is in the denial on your part, not it's reality. It's far better to be loved, then to be burdened with the insecurity of wondering what love is or if anyone loves you.

The bottom line here is that if I'm wrong about what I consider to be a reality in my life, then by your assertion I will just end up dead as a doornail. And so what? It won't matter then, one way or another once that time comes.

The difference between my way of thinking and yours is that I have not grounded myself for life until death. If I am delusional the quality of my life because of my spiritual beliefs still has enriched the lives of countless other people, in the meantime. I have lost nothing in the process. There will never be a time where God can be disproven in any realistic sense by anyone. And I have absolutely no need then to go beyond what I know in my soul to exist. And that is the only authority I go by. Certainly not yours.

For me it's a win, win situation. For you, it's a sad testimony of the lifelessness in your world, living in that little box of complete denial. Making a mockery out of quicksilver might land you dead on top of the genuine mother load.

Anne Marie

What's remarkable about you is that Science does not explicitly address the issue of the spiritual realm as non-existent.

Nor doe sit 'prove that pixies and dragons don't exist' :cuckoo:

If you assert its existence, you bear the burden of proof to demonstrate that it does, in fact, exist

No actually I don't. Nor do I have to prove to anyone else except for the one I love that I love them. In fact that's not even a requirement beyond the obvious devotion I would naturally exercise to this person. The burden of proof is in the denial on your part, not it's reality. It's far better to be loved, then to be burdened with the insecurity of wondering what love is or if anyone loves you.

The bottom line here is that if I'm wrong about what I consider to be a reality in my life, then by your assertion I will just end up dead as a doornail. And so what? It won't matter then, one way or another once that time comes.

The difference between my way of thinking and yours is that I have not grounded myself for life until death. If I am delusional the quality of my life because of my spiritual beliefs still has enriched the lives of countless other people, in the meantime. I have lost nothing in the process. There will never be a time where God can be disproven in any realistic sense by anyone. And I have absolutely no need then to go beyond what I know in my soul to exist. And that is the only authority I go by. Certainly not yours.

For me it's a win, win situation. For you, it's a sad testimony of the lifelessness in your world, living in that little box of complete denial. Making a mockery out of quicksilver might land you dead on top of the genuine mother load.

Anne Marie

I can prove that god doesn't exist: if god did exist, do you really think that we'd be still here arguing over its existence? Like seriously, do you?

Anyways, that god can't be disproven means it exist makes you one hell of a simpleton. Personnally, I'd prefer not to go through life as a simpleton.

“In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners.”
as0.gif
Jonathon Miller

Forum List

Back