Do Republicans have a history of helping the American Middle Class?

Capital gains was taxed as income in the late 1980's, but the tax was repealed by George Bush Sr.

What makes you think you deserve a penny of what an old man gets for selling his house? Or his stocks for that matter?

What is the difference between money made from your investments and money made from your sweat?

Not a whole lot. One you got in exchange for labor, the other you got in exchange for putting it at risk. I wonder if the same people who want to cap what you can make from investments would also accept a floor below which you can't lose any more money?

I'm talking about the last 30 years.

Does anyone have any examples of really good GOP policies that helped a lot of regular Americans?

From the few Republicans who dared to comment, it looks like the answer is "no".

Do must Republicans feel this way:

Rottweiler commenting on Healthcare: That's exactly right. The American people don't deserve shit.

I think this kind of proves why the country gets so damaged when Republicans are in charge. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Bush tax cuts were the biggest help middle and lower income Americans got from Republicans. They must have been a good thing or Obama would have got them repealed.

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

Bush Tax Cuts vs. Unemployment Extensions

You know that Republicans threatened to cut off unemployment benefits for millions of Americans if Obama didn't agree to the Bush Tax Cut Extension, right? It wasn't that long ago. Tell us you remember that happened.

I know that the Republicans wanted the unemployment benefits extension to be paid for with cuts to some other program that was not needed or with unspent money from the phony $870 billion stimulus program that the Democrats passed.

I also remember Obama and every one with more than half a brain agreeing that raising taxes during a recession with 9.6 unemployment was not a good idea.

You do remember that don't you?

What makes you think you deserve a penny of what an old man gets for selling his house? Or his stocks for that matter?

What is the difference between money made from your investments and money made from your sweat?

The money you invested came from the money you made from your sweat. You paid taxes on it before you invested it. The difference is you pay taxes on your investments if they make money and you stand a chance of losing ALL of your investment.

You paid taxes on your principle not your capital gain. Risk is part of the reward system with investments. The greater your risk, the greater your potential reward. You do not deserve a tax incentive for taking risk

You know what, Billy? If this was 2008...BEFORE the start of the Obama Administration you might have a point! You could talk about the "failures" of George W. Bush and how the innate brilliance of Barack Obama was going to be a game changer!

But this ISN'T 2008 and an Obama Presidency is no longer some vague notion about Hope & Change! Progressives came into power controlling the House...the Senate...and the Oval Office. What did they give the country with all of those things? The ACA...probably the most badly written piece of legislation in the history of the country. The Obama Stimulus...something that was supposed to create jobs and stimulate the economy but was handled so badly by you progressives that you had to invent a new statistic...job saved or created...to hide how few jobs you actually created. Then there is the constant stream of scandals from this group of incompetents. From Fast & Furious...through Benghazi...the IRS...the James Rosen wiretaps...Solyndra...the VA...and now this latest cluster fuck...a one for five trade that got us a soldier who appears to have gone AWOL in return for five high level terrorists who after a years vacation in Qatar will be right back to doing what they do best...killing Americans!

Shit, Billy...you're right...how CAN a conservative make an argument against THAT kind of record!!! (eye-roll)

You people are so dense. It was the CBO that originally said the stimulus created or saved 2.5 million jobs. If you knew a goddamn thing about economics you would understand what it means. Obama's act stimulated economic demand. $1.21 in economic demand was created per dollar spent. Businesses had more money to hire workers. Also, had they not gotten the stimulus, they would have had to lay people off. That is what the "saved" means. The stimulus prevented 100,000s of people from being laid off.

These are facts. Facts provided by the CBO. Its biggest flaw was that it was too small. That is why the unemployment rate didn't budge. We lost 8 million jobs before that.

Last edited:
1950's, 1960's, 1970's,1980's, 1990's. In the 90's GOP and Gingrich had to drag Clinton kicking and screaming to support earned income tax credit and balanced budget.

yeah, back when the gop could compromise.

That was back when the President could make a deal and didn't call the loyal opposition "the enemy" as this President has.

The money you invested came from the money you made from your sweat. You paid taxes on it before you invested it. The difference is you pay taxes on your investments if they make money and you stand a chance of losing ALL of your investment.

You paid taxes on your principle not your capital gain. Risk is part of the reward system with investments. The greater your risk, the greater your potential reward. You do not deserve a tax incentive for taking risk

I pay capital gains tax on my capital gains, and I pay income taxes on my salary.

Last edited:

I pay capital gains tax on my capital gains, and I pay income taxes on my salary.

Thanks for clarifying that Capt Obvious

You know what, Billy? If this was 2008...BEFORE the start of the Obama Administration you might have a point! You could talk about the "failures" of George W. Bush and how the innate brilliance of Barack Obama was going to be a game changer!

But this ISN'T 2008 and an Obama Presidency is no longer some vague notion about Hope & Change! Progressives came into power controlling the House...the Senate...and the Oval Office. What did they give the country with all of those things? The ACA...probably the most badly written piece of legislation in the history of the country. The Obama Stimulus...something that was supposed to create jobs and stimulate the economy but was handled so badly by you progressives that you had to invent a new statistic...job saved or created...to hide how few jobs you actually created. Then there is the constant stream of scandals from this group of incompetents. From Fast & Furious...through Benghazi...the IRS...the James Rosen wiretaps...Solyndra...the VA...and now this latest cluster fuck...a one for five trade that got us a soldier who appears to have gone AWOL in return for five high level terrorists who after a years vacation in Qatar will be right back to doing what they do best...killing Americans!

Shit, Billy...you're right...how CAN a conservative make an argument against THAT kind of record!!! (eye-roll)

You people are so dense. It was the CBO that originally said the stimulus created or saved 2.5 million jobs. If you knew a goddamn thing about economics you would understand what it means. Obama's act stimulated economic demand. $1.21 in economic demand was created per dollar spent. Businesses had more money to hire workers. Also, had they not gotten the stimulus, they would have had to lay people off. That is what the "saved" means. The stimulus prevented 100,000s of people from being laid off.

These are facts. Facts provided by the CBO. Its biggest flaw was that it was too small. That is why the unemployment rate didn't budge. We lost 8 million jobs before that.

You're the dense one, Billy. The reason that the Obama Administration came up with the whole "jobs created or saved" number is that it can't be verified one way or another. It was perfect for their purposes because using the existing method to determine how many jobs were created left them with such a small number that after spending 870 billion on their stimulus they knew they'd get roasted by the opposition. Their solution was to invent a number that couldn't be substantiated "jobs saved" and use THAT for their totals! So instead of having to admit that their stimulus only created 100,000 jobs they could stand up behind a podium and announce that their stimulus had "created or saved" 3,000,000 jobs! They hadn't created any more jobs then before but boy did that big number sound a whole lot better! They used the CBO to give some sort of dubious authority to the numbers they put out but the fact is when you start talking about "jobs saved" there is no way that the CBO or anyone else can come up with an accurate number. It's why nobody else in government ever used "jobs created or saved" until Barry and the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight came along. If Bush had tried something like that the main stream media would have laughed him out of the room when he announced it. Those are the "facts"...facts that you can't bring yourself to admit to...

Thanks for clarifying that Capt Obvious

What taxes do you pay on your principle investment? I merely wanted you to know that I don't pay taxes on my principle.

Top 10 Poorest States:

1. Mississippi - Republican
2. Arkansas - Republican
3. Tennessee - Republican
4. West Virginia - Republican/Democrat
5. Louisiana - Republican
6. Montana - Republican
7. South Carolina - Republican
8. Kentucky - Republican
9. Alabama - Republican
10. North Carolina - Republican

And that includes children and veterans.

And what about disaster victims?

Does anyone have any examples of really good GOP policies that helped a lot of regular Americans?

We ARE the Middle Class, you loon!

Top 10 Poorest States:

2. Arkansas - Republican
6. Montana - Republican
8. Kentucky - Republican
9. Alabama - Republican

Arkansas has a Democratic Governor, Mike Beebe. West Virginia has a Democratic Governor, Earl Tomblin. Montana has a Democratic Governor, Steve Bullock. It would be nice if you could bring just a "smidgen" of accuracy to your nonsense, Chris!

Not quite sure what it would prove if all of the poorest States DID have GOP Governors. Were they richer when they had Democratic Governors? A better analysis is whether GOP Governors or Democratic Governors are having success in their States. Pretty sure you don't want to have THAT discussion though, Chris because the truth is...people are putting Republicans in their State Houses because so many Democrats have gotten them into terrible fiscal positions.

And that includes children and veterans.

And what about disaster victims?

Since the commies have controlled congress most of that time I think you're asking about the wrong party.

How many time in the last 40 years did the 'commies' have a 60 vote majority in the Senate and a clear majority in the House?

This thread shows and proves beyond any doubt the statist mindset of dimocrap scum.

Government isn't here to help anyone. Government serves Government. That lesson has been learned the hard way over 5,000 years of recorded history time and again.

Government is what causes problems. Government is what causes tyranny. Government is what causes oppression. Government is what causes wars and death.

Government, too much Government, is what we rebelled against in 1776.

If we had wanted Big Government, we could have stayed with the British Empire.

Proof positive that dimocraps aren't Americans. They're government-dependent scum fighting everything this Country was founded on.

Government is NEVER the solution. It is ALWAYS the problem.

But you can't tell dimocrap scum that. They're too stupid.

Big business and un/deregulated greed.

go stand in line for your welfare, food stamps, etc

then you CAN bow to the Democrat party your new MASTERS

enslavement is their only priority

Top 10 Poorest States:

2. Arkansas - Republican
6. Montana - Republican
8. Kentucky - Republican
9. Alabama - Republican

Now let me get this straight as to why you posted this. Are you showing us that the Republicans are not the party of the rich and the democrats are? Or are you showing us that the poor have given up on the false promises of the Democrats. I think both.

Of course your come back will be that these people vote against their self interest. Which is the same as saying you know what is better for them then they do. A very self righteous attitude. Maybe that self righteousness is why the poor are turning away for party that actually will and did "put you all in chains."

Forum List

Back