DNC Video: "The Government is the Only Thing We All Belong To"

Moonie, you can't walk back your take on this. The people are the government, not the other way around. I don't belong to government, it belongs to me.

You should be thanking those that still feel this way and are willing to fight for it, the alternative is rather scary.

if you don't belong to the government of the US govt.(fed, state and local) what govt. are you a part of?

The issue then becomes: where (and how) should the line between the free market and government intervention be drawn? Who should be taxed? How much? What benefits should the government provide? To whom should they be provided? What should the government provide to individuals --- and what should individuals provide for themselves?

The fact that few Republicans have attempted to address this in a forthright manner (DeMint notwithstanding), should be an embarrassment to the party. Republicans at all levels should openly be discussion the role of government in society --- not at the reactionary level of many hack Republicans (any government = bad government), but rather in terms of what government should provide for people --- and what we, as the governed, have a right to expect of our fellow citizens in exchange for contributing our tax dollars.

Republican Social Contract

Republicans or Dems neither one own the government. If either party went away tomorrow the PEOPLE would still be here, without a party. We could still vote the way we wanted. Party really doesn't matter. The whole idea is to meet somewhere in the middle for the good of the PEOPLE, not for the good of the government.

he sai we are all part of govt. can't get much clearer than that, he never states that we belong to the govt. in a subserviant nature

Take the cotton out of your ears. He quite plainly says we all belong to the government.

"The Government Is The Only Thing We All Belong To" Say what? I thought the government belonged to "We The People"? No wonder modern democrats don't sound like democrats...they aren't.

Obama campaign distances itself from video

:lmao:

So now, the Obama campaign is distancing itself from the party base to try and move away from a message the DNC approved. Only to realize later we aren't that fucking stupid or complacent.

Well it is true, except for anarchist.
That we belong to the government?
we don't belong to the govt. ?The man was saying we are all part of the government.And we are.

No we aren't.

if it weren't for the people, their would be no govt. such as we have.

That fact doesn't support your claim. If it weren't for people, the automobile wouldn't exist. Does that mean people are automobiles? Your logic is childish.

This whole thing is frankly difficult to understand.

I'm a part of my neighborhood, my city, my state, my country. But when I think of my neighborhood, city, state and country, I think of the people, not the federal bureaucracy. It's just strange to me that so many so quickly identify with the government, like it's some kind of comforting security blanket. I look at the government as a required entity, but I certainly don't have warm feelings for it.

I don't get it. Just me.

I look at government as a threat to my welfare.

So you people do not belong to any government? Are you sure cause many of you belong to the republican party, but I quess they are not a real governing group. But the repubs belong to the US govt., just like dems and indies. I havn't seen any real good repubs since the '90's. and the Contract with America era.

Sorry, turd, but no one uses those words that way.

I don't belong to government, government belongs to me and my neighbors.

read the
republican social contract if you think this is a dem phenomina.

The term social contract describes a broad class of philosophical theories whose subjects are implied agreements by which people form nations and maintain a social order. Such social contract implies that the people give up some rights to a government and/or other authority in order to receive or jointly preserve social order.

Dictionary - Definition of social contract

You didn't quote the "Republican social contract." You quoted some lame entry from Wiki.

In all, we've had one LOLberal come out to defend this talking point.

I'd like to see some of the other LOLberals give a shot at defending this "coming out of the closet" statement.

The issue then becomes: where (and how) should the line between the free market and government intervention be drawn? Who should be taxed? How much? What benefits should the government provide? To whom should they be provided? What should the government provide to individuals --- and what should individuals provide for themselves?

The fact that few Republicans have attempted to address this in a forthright manner (DeMint notwithstanding), should be an embarrassment to the party. Republicans at all levels should openly be discussion the role of government in society --- not at the reactionary level of many hack Republicans (any government = bad government), but rather in terms of what government should provide for people --- and what we, as the governed, have a right to expect of our fellow citizens in exchange for contributing our tax dollars.

Republican Social Contract

You still haven't quoted any "Republican social contract." All you've done is quote some hack who claims there should be one.

BTW, the idea of the "social contract" is a myth. There are no valid contracts that you haven't explicitly agreed to. So the so-called "social contract" is worse than a myth. It's an oxymoron.

Taking Moonglow in context, the government doesn't really own us, we just all belong to the same big government club. Membership is mandatory. We all support our club, we follow the club rules and don't disagree with the club leadership. We belong, as part of the club, we are of the whole.

Which makes the government like the Mafia.

I took the statement to mean "... the only thing we are all part of".

But even then, it is a stupid position, if for no other reason than we are all part of The United States, independent of and unreliant upon the governments found therein.

The points already made regarding the mindset of the left and how they see the relationship between government and the citizenry are spot-on.

It should be The COUNTRY is the only thing we all belong to.

I don't think that it's a huge overstatement to suggest there are many who believe that America IS its government, that our federal bureaucracy is what makes America great. I've seen them refer to the Constitution, and I agree there, but the Constitution is not the federal bureaucracy.

Forum List

Back