Dirty Words.

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
After the M-Fking flame zone riots of the last couple of days, I got to thinking about what was actually allowed or not allowed here. My understanding is that a few words are banned, and the software automatically censors those words when used. Many enterprising posters get past that by using alternate spellings. Instead of "******", they write "niqqer". Similar bypasses are used for the other words. There is no ambiguity of what is actually being said. If you are going to the trouble of having the software censor those words, why don't you add the most common misspellings of banned words to the list? I'm not a big fan of censorship or handing out infractions, but to be consistent, you should either add those alternate spellings to your software, or pass out some sort of infraction for obvious efforts to bypass the rules. Just something for you to consider.

O
After the M-Fking flame zone riots of the last couple of days, I got to thinking about what was actually allowed or not allowed here. My understanding is that a few words are banned, and the software automatically censors those words when used. Many enterprising posters get past that by using alternate spellings. Instead of "******", they write "niqqer". Similar bypasses are used for the other words. There is no ambiguity of what is actually being said. If you are going to the trouble of having the software censor those words, why don't you add the most common misspellings of banned words to the list? I'm not a big fan of censorship or handing out infractions, but to be consistent, you should either add those alternate spellings to your software, or pass out some sort of infraction for obvious efforts to bypass the rules. Just something for you to consider.

Of course I don't see much need for any changes in the FZ. Somebody demented enough to go there shouldn't whine about what someone else might write, but in the more civilized parts of the site it might be something to consider.

I think the Mods rely more on vigilant members to report posts
that have trolling or cursing that violates rules.
I think alternate spellings still count as using that word.

However I don't think Mods can change any programming.
Any such words are best reported by members flagging them when you spot them!

Obviously you haven't read many posts by the more racist posters here. I'm pretty sure adding a few words to a list wouldn't be a problem for whoever maintains their software.

Obviously you haven't read many posts by the more racist posters here. I'm pretty sure adding a few words to a list wouldn't be a problem for whoever maintains their software.

I don't think you know how hard it is to get programmers to change anything when the forum and website are free for users.

I don't think you know how hard it is to get programmers to change anything when the forum and website are free for users.

I have no idea how much they pay monthly for site maintenance, but I know adding a few words to a list can't take more than 5 minutes, no matter which programming language is being used.

I suspect it would amount to a game of whack-a-mole. Soon as you add "niqqer" to the auto list, a poster shifts to "ni66er" --- and so on in endless permutations.

I suspect it would amount to a game of whack-a-mole. Soon as you add "niqqer" to the auto list, a poster shifts to "ni66er" --- and so on in endless permutations.

You could be right. It just seems silly to go to all that trouble to ban words when a slight modification that does nothing to change the meaning is just fine. Mods don't care as long as the spelling is a little different. Just seems inconsistent to me. I've had my say. I guess I'll just shut up for now.

If it does not violate the filter it does not violate the rule. The so called rules on words are far from equal anyway.

Banning words is kind of silly, by it seems to confort some people.

Instead of spelling the most famous banned words out.......I can simply say Joe is a F’ing N-word. For some reason this seems more acceptable even though 99% of the people probably know what “F’ing” and “N-word” are substitutes for.

Oops....Fucking isn’t even a banned word.

Dirty Words.

Faggot, as long as they don't censor the word Faggot to F***** then I don't care, if they censor the word Faggot to F***** then my responses to ******** ************ who is the forums biggest Faggot are not going to have the same affect :smoke:

MODS! MODS! Please do not censor the word Faggot :thup:

The crying never ends, does it?

cry baby 5.jpg

Dirty Words.

Faggot, as long as they don't censor the word Faggot to F***** then I don't care, if they censor the word Faggot to F***** then my responses to ******** ************ who is the forums biggest Faggot are not going to have the same affect :smoke:

I would rather that no smoking zones be established. Dirty words don’t give me cancer. :banana:

Dirty Words.

I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion, especially in the FZ , if you can call that discussion. I was thinking more along the lines of racial slurs used throughout the site, and rarely intended in a joking way. Like I said, I've had my little say, and other than this little explanation, I have nothing to add.

Dirty Words.

I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion, especially in the FZ , if you can call that discussion. I was thinking more along the lines of racial slurs used throughout the site, and rarely intended in a joking way. Like I said, I've had my little say, and other than this little explanation, I have nothing to add.
N-word, N-word, N-word!

Censoring words seems counterproductive. There are people so sensitive that innocent words are being needlessly removed from our language. Niggardly, is a prime example. If people are too damned dumb to know the meaning of this extremely old word, that's their own fault. They should look at their education, of lack thereof, rather than robbing the rest of us of a perfectly good word.

On the other hand, the "N" word does offend a lot of people. But, does it offend them because they actually understand the history of the word. Or, do they simply react to the word hysterically because they've been "told" it should offend them, or because they are expected to be offended by it.

Does putting the "N" word out of bounds, avoiding it at all costs do any good? Worrying about it in all of its many different spellings. Freaking out whenever someone dares to speak it, only gives it a HUGE power that the word never before had. It assures that the "N" word will continue to exist, but from now on out it will have far greater strength and meaning. Wouldn't it be better to allow it to be used in everyday language. Let people get used to its sound and its presence, so that it loses some of the magical power we're giving it by outlawing its use?

Believe it or not, there are certain words that are frowned upon by the internet giant Google. The very few words (only a handful) that are censored on this site are due to Google requesting it. Seems they have the power to make things happen (or not happen) as they see fit on something called 'the great big invisible internet'.

I thought free speech was free speech...you got a different tune post to post...just depends on whose on your side and who isn’t.

Forum List

Back