Dirty Words.

Who makes the decision that one "bad word" is worse than another "bad word?" If you are going to allow bad words, then allow bad words . . . or don't allow bad words. A bad word that may be not offensive to YOU, might be to someone else. Let's use "bastard" for example. Maybe a bastard is insulted if you call him a bastard?

I suppose -- not speaking for USMB -- it has to do with advertisers. If you notice, we have a LOT of white and black racists on the board. The idea is to let them CONFRONT each other in LIMITED topics and have a discussion. Giving them the n-word is like the nuclear option. We don't want that escalation. It's not neccessary to the purpose of allowing free confrontation thru discussion.

Advertisers use their own sources to "filter" candidate sites. That's why the "no genitals or titties" rules is here. And because folks will push the limits -- that includes plastic, marble, or rubber or other materially constructed genitals and titties as well. :lmao:

Because the advertisers -- or more SPECIFICALLY -- the advertising BUNDLER will harass us until we fix it.

Who makes the decision that one "bad word" is worse than another "bad word?" If you are going to allow bad words, then allow bad words . . . or don't allow bad words. A bad word that may be not offensive to YOU, might be to someone else. Let's use "bastard" for example. Maybe a bastard is insulted if you call him a bastard?

I suppose -- not speaking for USMB -- it has to do with advertisers. If you notice, we have a LOT of white and black racists on the board. The idea is to let them CONFRONT each other in LIMITED topics and have a discussion. Giving them the n-word is like the nuclear option. We don't want that escalation. It's not neccessary to the purpose of allowing free confrontation thru discussion.

Advertisers use their own sources to "filter" candidate sites. That's why the "no genitals or titties" rules is here. And because folks will push the limits -- that includes plastic, marble, or rubber or other materially constructed genitals and titties as well. :lmao:

Because the advertisers -- or more SPECIFICALLY -- the advertising BUNDLER will harass us until we fix it.

But it's okay to show a "titty" if the nipple has a little pasty on it. :rolleyes-41: You should say nipples aren't allowed here.

Adding words to the word filter, at least on other software such as vBulletin, or SMF (and others) is super simple and easy to do.

After the M-Fking flame zone riots of the last couple of days, I got to thinking about what was actually allowed or not allowed here. My understanding is that a few words are banned, and the software automatically censors those words when used. Many enterprising posters get past that by using alternate spellings. Instead of "******", they write "niqqer". Similar bypasses are used for the other words. There is no ambiguity of what is actually being said. If you are going to the trouble of having the software censor those words, why don't you add the most common misspellings of banned words to the list? I'm not a big fan of censorship or handing out infractions, but to be consistent, you should either add those alternate spellings to your software, or pass out some sort of infraction for obvious efforts to bypass the rules. Just something for you to consider.

But it's okay to show a "titty" if the nipple has a little pasty on it. :rolleyes-41: You should say nipples aren't allowed here.

I do believe that's been done!

Believe it or not, there are certain words that are frowned upon by the internet giant Google. The very few words (only a handful) that are censored on this site are due to Google requesting it. Seems they have the power to make things happen (or not happen) as they see fit on something called 'the great big invisible internet'.

That's informative and damn sad!

Coming from Google, It's like a Roach Motel, once you check in, you can't check out. You're stuck.

(Unless you wipe everything and don't sign into Google next time) FYI: Once ou sign into Google on a phone, you cannot sign out, ever!

(Well, you can wipe the OS and start anew) Guess who's OS it is? That's right! It's Google's :spinner:

It's really Linux with some Google "Track your ass" addons.

As someone here has mentioned before: They have too much power.

Forum List

Back