Dirty Words.

After the M-Fking flame zone riots of the last couple of days, I got to thinking about what was actually allowed or not allowed here. My understanding is that a few words are banned, and the software automatically censors those words when used. Many enterprising posters get past that by using alternate spellings. Instead of "******", they write "niqqer". Similar bypasses are used for the other words. There is no ambiguity of what is actually being said. If you are going to the trouble of having the software censor those words, why don't you add the most common misspellings of banned words to the list? I'm not a big fan of censorship or handing out infractions, but to be consistent, you should either add those alternate spellings to your software, or pass out some sort of infraction for obvious efforts to bypass the rules. Just something for you to consider.

I thought free speech was free speech...you got a different tune post to post...just depends on whose on your side and who isn’t.

I suppose you could call this discussing limits on free speech. That other thread had nothing to do with free speech.

After the M-Fking flame zone riots of the last couple of days, I got to thinking about what was actually allowed or not allowed here. My understanding is that a few words are banned, and the software automatically censors those words when used. Many enterprising posters get past that by using alternate spellings. Instead of "******", they write "niqqer". Similar bypasses are used for the other words. There is no ambiguity of what is actually being said. If you are going to the trouble of having the software censor those words, why don't you add the most common misspellings of banned words to the list? I'm not a big fan of censorship or handing out infractions, but to be consistent, you should either add those alternate spellings to your software, or pass out some sort of infraction for obvious efforts to bypass the rules. Just something for you to consider.

Dirty Words.

Faggot, as long as they don't censor the word Faggot to F***** then I don't care, if they censor the word Faggot to F***** then my responses to ******** ************ who is the forums biggest Faggot are not going to have the same affect :smoke:

MODS! MODS! Please do not censor the word Faggot :thup:

I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion, especially in the FZ , if you can call that discussion. I was thinking more along the lines of racial slurs used throughout the site, and rarely intended in a joking way. Like I said, I've had my little say, and other than this little explanation, I have nothing to add.

Re. Racial slurs, well the most infamous one is N***** a pretty horrible word in general, that is filtered but as you say the filter isn't actually needed when they write N!gger or sometimes Niqqer, so unless you had a filter for a ! or a filter for the letter q the actual forum filter that reduces it to N***** is basically pointless.

"I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion"

There must NEVER be a filter for The Purple Dildo, Bruce will agree with me :smoke:

Bruce_T_Laney

I do not see why the word Motherfucker is a problem, what is the problem with this word exactly? IMHO this word does not violate the Family Rule that is a forum wide rule that most people here generally respect.

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

I do not see why the word Motherfucker is a problem, what is the problem with this word exactly?

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou
Nothing...that is the whole issue :lol:

I do not see why the word Motherfucker is a problem, what is the problem with this word exactly?

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

Oh okay :eusa_doh:

Dirty Words.

Faggot, as long as they don't censor the word Faggot to F***** then I don't care, if they censor the word Faggot to F***** then my responses to ******** ************ who is the forums biggest Faggot are not going to have the same affect :smoke:

I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion, especially in the FZ , if you can call that discussion. I was thinking more along the lines of racial slurs used throughout the site, and rarely intended in a joking way. Like I said, I've had my little say, and other than this little explanation, I have nothing to add.

Re. Racial slurs, well the most infamous one is N***** a pretty horrible word in general, that is filtered but as you say the filter isn't actually needed when they write N!gger or sometimes Niqqer, so unless you had a filter for a ! or a filter for the letter q the actual forum filter that reduces it to N***** is basically pointless.

"I think we can all agree that the loss of words like faggot or discussion of purple dildos would completely change the nature of discussion"

There must NEVER be a filter for The Purple Dildo, Bruce will agree with me :smoke:

Bruce_T_Laney

Writing about the purple dildo is done in the taunting zone where it belong and not in general discussion where it does not belong.

Before any poster complain about the usage of purple dildo they should first clean their comments up seeing they have used the word twat against a minor. ( not you but Bulldog )

The Flame Zone and Rubber Room are areas where foul language is expected and if weak minded individuals can not handle it they should stay upstairs where snowflakes play...

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

What about Muther Phucker!?!

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

I am requesting that the below following words are subjected to the forum filter, they are outrageous and I think that nobody should have to be subjected to this type of filth.

The words are as follows:

Dirty Words.

Bruce_T_Laney

Writing about the purple dildo is done in the taunting zone where it belong and not in general discussion where it does not belong.

Before any poster complain about the usage of purple dildo they should first clean their comments up seeing they have used the word twat against a minor. ( not you but Bulldog )

The Flame Zone and Rubber Room are areas where foul language is expected and if weak minded individuals can not handle it they should stay upstairs where snowflakes play...

The Rubber Room is where all the forum Intellectuals post, you know like me and you VP Bruce and President miketx.

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

^^^^ STFU you Cockzucker :poke::popcorn:

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

^^^^ STFU you Cockzucker :poke::popcorn:

It is Kochzucher!:banana:

:banana2:

:banana:

:funnyface:

:scared1:

I thought free speech was free speech...you got a different tune post to post...just depends on whose on your side and who isn’t.

I suppose you could call this discussing limits on free speech. That other thread had nothing to do with free speech.
“Got it. You think everyone is obligated to debate anyone who asks. You know that's nuts, right? Do you think the people opposing those 40 speakers don't have the right to free speech? You are either sadly ignorant of what free speech means, oryou're just another whiny RWNJ. I suspect both.”

“You don't understand what the right to free speech means. Look it up, and then try again if you aren't too embarrassed by what you already posted.”

“Nobody denied anybody's free speech in the situation you are whining about. You would understand that if you found what our right to free speech includes.”

All these are post of you defending someone who’d rather rip Ben Shapiro’s arm out of his socket, than debate him, vs giving him a platform....you’re for this loony professors free speech (calling a Jewish anti alt right person, a white supremacist, and a Harvard law degree a fake degree...here you’re all for free speech), but not everyone else’s. You pick and choose which free speech is acceptable, so what’s changed?

Dirty Words.

Bruce_T_Laney

I have nothing but respect for discussion of purple dildos. I'll fight anyone who says differently. As far as calling that poster a twat, she/he was being a bit of a twat.

Coyote AyeCantSeeYou

I am requesting that the below following words are subjected to the forum filter, they are outrageous and I think that nobody should have to be subjected to this type of filth.

The words are as follows:

the-adventures-of-asterix-11.gif

:muahaha:

THere's really only about 3 filtered words. And I think everyone knows at least 2 of them. Writing a filter for this is complex and we're at the mercy of Xenoforo Software to do it for us. Anyone with programming knowledge can bypass a filter with BBCode or other methods that are supported. And the VARIATIONS on the cheats to get around a filter are a huge number of possibilities. VOLUMES of coder forum threads on writing that stuff.

SO -- ends up Moderation is the filter. And our only emphasis is in the upstairs forums, not the Taunting Forums.
We may delete posts, edit them or warn if it's chronic.

Really though, who cares? Stick and stones . . . you know the rest.

THere's really only about 3 filtered words. And I think everyone knows at least 2 of them. Writing a filter for this is complex and we're at the mercy of Xenoforo Software to do it for us. Anyone with programming knowledge can bypass a filter with BBCode or other methods that are supported. And the VARIATIONS on the cheats to get around a filter are a huge number of possibilities. VOLUMES of coder forum threads on writing that stuff.

SO -- ends up Moderation is the filter. And our only emphasis is in the upstairs forums, not the Taunting Forums.

It's really quite arbitrary. Why not just admit that?

What's arbitrary? We don't control content if it's in the RIGHT forum and the Right thread. The only reason there are ANY filtered words is that THOSE words are associated with racism or misogyny and would be over-used by some. Other than that -- If you're respecting the topic and your post is more substance than vile crap -- we probably don't even read "the vile crap".

So -- what's arbitrary?

Who makes the decision that one "bad word" is worse than another "bad word?" If you are going to allow bad words, then allow bad words . . . or don't allow bad words. A bad word that may be not offensive to YOU, might be to someone else. Let's use "bastard" for example. Maybe a bastard is insulted if you call him a bastard?

What's arbitrary? We don't control content if it's in the RIGHT forum and the Right thread. The only reason there are ANY filtered words is that THOSE words are associated with racism or misogyny and would be over-used by some. Other than that -- If you're respecting the topic and your post is more substance than vile crap -- we probably don't even read "the vile crap".

So -- what's arbitrary?

See my post #39.

Forum List

Back