Developer Claims Sex Offender Ruined Sales

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
We have a small business computer store in our neighborhood which employs a registered third degree "high risk" sex offender. I saw his picture, etc., on our state's registry.

I will not shop there, and I am sure I am not the only one. The owner must have lost business because of it. I don't know if the owner of the store hired this guy knowingly, but I expect that he knows now, since the police check up on the pervert's employment status periodically.

The developer in this story refuses to take a financial hit, and I don't blame him. What do you all think?

Saturday, February 05, 2005

SPRINGDALE, Ark. — A developer who claims sales in a subdivision stopped after a sex offender and his wife bought a home has sued the couple and the real estate company that arranged the purchase.

NGI Rental (search) filed the $2 million lawsuit Friday against Randall Dee Collins (search) and his wife, as well as the real estate company that arranged their new home purchase.

Randall Collins, 39, was convicted of molesting young girls and is listed on the Arkansas Crime Information Center (search) Web site. According to the lawsuit, his wife hired a real estate company to sell her old home, saying she had married a sex offender and that her home was too close to a school.

A day after the couple bought a home in a new subdivision, the police department distributed fliers detailing Collins' case.

The lawsuit claims residents indicated they would move if Collins did not leave the neighborhood — and that sales came to a standstill because the developer was required to tell potential buyers about Collins.

The lawsuit also alleged Collins called the developer and offered to move for $250,000, "or he would stay there and kill their subdivision."

A message left on a phone listed to a Randall Collins was not immediately returned Saturday.

Springdale is about 180 miles northwest of Little Rock.

Abbey Normal said:
We have a small business computer store in our neighborhood which employs a registered third degree "high risk" sex offender. I saw his picture, etc., on our state's registry.

I will not shop there, and I am sure I am not the only one. The owner must have lost business because of it. I don't know if the owner of the store hired this guy knowingly, but I expect that he knows now, since the police check up on the pervert's employment status periodically.

The developer in this story refuses to take a financial hit, and I don't blame him. What do you all think?

SPRINGDALE, Ark. — A developer who claims sales in a subdivision stopped after a sex offender and his wife bought a home has sued the couple and the real estate company that arranged the purchase.

NGI Rental (search) filed the $2 million lawsuit Friday against Randall Dee Collins (search) and his wife, as well as the real estate company that arranged their new home purchase.

Randall Collins, 39, was convicted of molesting young girls and is listed on the Arkansas Crime Information Center (search) Web site. According to the lawsuit, his wife hired a real estate company to sell her old home, saying she had married a sex offender and that her home was too close to a school.

A day after the couple bought a home in a new subdivision, the police department distributed fliers detailing Collins' case.

The lawsuit claims residents indicated they would move if Collins did not leave the neighborhood — and that sales came to a standstill because the developer was required to tell potential buyers about Collins.

The lawsuit also alleged Collins called the developer and offered to move for $250,000, "or he would stay there and kill their subdivision."

A message left on a phone listed to a Randall Collins was not immediately returned Saturday.

I wonder why I didn't hear about this. I was in Fayetteville on the day this story is dated, as I attend college there.

Just a thought......all registered sex offenders should have to contribute a percentage of their income to fund a community where only they can live.

This would be like community service twofold. They are contributing to their own community and staying out of ours.

Abbey Normal said:

As to the computer store - are you sure the employer did a background check? You would be surprised how many employers don't. And also, yes, the police are SUPPOSED to check, but well know they don't.

It is entirely possible that no one knows about this guy's past.

I find it interesting that the police distrubitued flyers - is this something they do with every sex offender in town? If this was something they just did on their own, the developer should include the PD in the lawsuit.

I also wonder if it is actually required (again) that the developer notify prospective buyers about all the people in the subdivision. Is it only sex offenders? What about people who were convicted of theft? Assault? Murder, etc.

I would have a problem with a drug offender, thief, someone who assaulted someone, along with a sex offender being in my neighborhood.

I may have an off the wall opinion of sex offenders having to register and/or living/not living here or there, but I feel when any criminal has paid his dept to society, leave him/her alone. If you want to punish a person after he/she has paid their dept to society, just sentence them to a longer prison sentence. If it were me getting out of prison for a crime and I had completed my sentence, I would tell them all to kiss where the sun didn't shine. I surely wouldn't register for anything. That said, if it were left up to me, I would sentence child molesters to life in prison without the possibility of parole on first offense.

GotZoom said:
As to the computer store - are you sure the employer did a background check? You would be surprised how many employers don't. And also, yes, the police are SUPPOSED to check, but well know they don't.

To update the offender registry's employment data, they would have to ask the employer. That is why I assume they know. But it is an assumption on my part.

It is entirely possible that no one knows about this guy's past.

I find it interesting that the police distrubitued flyers - is this something they do with every sex offender in town? If this was something they just did on their own, the developer should include the PD in the lawsuit.

I don't live in the state in the article, but about a year ago, we received a thick packet of flyers with data on sex offenders in our general area.

I also wonder if it is actually required (again) that the developer notify prospective buyers about all the people in the subdivision. Is it only sex offenders? What about people who were convicted of theft? Assault? Murder, etc.

I would have a problem with a drug offender, thief, someone who assaulted someone, along with a sex offender being in my neighborhood.

I doubt that we would ever be notified of other types of criminals. Sex offenders are such sure recidivists, that they may fall into a special class. Besides, it was tough enough getting Megan's (?) law passed with all the libs crying that perverts' consitutional rights were being violated.

Merlin said:
I may have an off the wall opinion of sex offenders having to register and/or living/not living here or there, but I feel when any criminal has paid his dept to society, leave him/her alone. If you want to punish a person after he/she has paid their dept to society, just sentence them to a longer prison sentence. If it were me getting out of prison for a crime and I had completed my sentence, I would tell them all to kiss where the sun didn't shine. I surely wouldn't register for anything. That said, if it were left up to me, I would sentence child molesters to life in prison without the possibility of parole on first offense.

Statistically, they just keep on assaulting. And I have seen many articles quoting sex offenders saying they will do it again given the chance, so I don't think we can ever trust them. Your last sentence works for me.

Forum List

Back