Dental Implants

At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?

I got 3 implants on back teeth several years ago, but it wasn't that terribly expensive about $12,000 and it works out fine.
Later, more implants on bottom front teeth were proposed, but I went with a cheaper "maryland bridge" with works out fine.

Every dental problem has more than one solution that can be satisfactory. Removable dentures, bridges, gumming it are all ideas that work out for some patients. It all about what you want to spend and how much time you want to sit in a dental chair.

Elizabeth Warren has a plan for this. As does Bernie Sanders. But some people insist on voting against their real personal interests in favor of vague issues that don't affect them one bit, but still make them "mad as hell".

Where did you get the idea that free dental care for the masses would mean "Cadillac level" treatments for everyone? Basic care for the proles, free extractions and cheap dentures.

At 74 years old, my teeth have started letting me down. I switched dentists recently (my dentist retired), and out of the blue she told me that I needed "some" extractions - by an oral surgeon, of course - and a couple other teeth that need work, one will require a root canal.

So I go to the recommended oral surgeon and he tells me that I need FOUR teeth extracted, which was kind of a shock, but when I queried him he seemed to be definitive that they had to come out. I am currently four days out from that procedure, and based on exploration with my tongue and bathroom mirror, I have at least three conspicuous holes in my mouth where teeth ought to be. They are not close to one another, so I don't know whether "false teeth" would be feasible, or I would have to spring for three separate implants.

There is also the question of whether my jawbone is sufficient to support implants. I'm waiting for feedback from the oral surgeon or my old doctor on that point.

But it is a very frustrating effort indeed to get an estimate of the cost for a dental implant. I see endless advertisements for dental offices that guarantee best prices, and thousands of dollars of savings, but they will not even put a range of costs out there. "Set up an appointment for a consultation."

No. I want to have some idea in advance. Anyone reading this been through a similar process?
Your teeth have been good to you holding up to 74. I started having root canals and extractions as a teenager in high school. Despite brushing 2-3 times a day and flossing all through high school, genetic issues with my teeth caused me to have poor oral health at an early age. I have diseases of the teeth inhearited by genetics dentists have told me. I could never have implants that question was already answered by dentists by how bad my jaw bone is. Dentists have told me I will probably need dentures before the age of 50, ugg.

Your teeth have been good to you holding up to 74. I started having root canals and extractions as a teenager in high school. Despite brushing 2-3 times a day and flossing all through high school, genetic issues with my teeth caused me to have poor oral health at an early age. I have diseases of the teeth inhearited by genetics dentists have told me. I could never have implants that question was already answered by dentists by how bad my jaw bone is. Dentists have told me I will probably need dentures before the age of 50, ugg.

Yeah,I fell off a roof when i was 16 and shattered most of my molars.
After years of bridge work I finally said fuck it yank em all out.
Had to get several bone grafts due to the lack of bone in my jaws in some places.
It was a total pain in the ass and I found that theres no such thing as having teeth replaced in one day.
It took around 6 months before mine were ready to install.
While it was a total cluster fuck in the end it was worth it.
But it is pricey.
The Wife said,think of it this way,it's cheaper than buying a new truck!!

Forum List

Back