Cardiac Rehabilitation

Blaster

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2022
My dad received a new heart valve in October and is now attending cardiac rehab. He feels strong and the sessions have been very beneficial to him. Has anyone here had the same experience?

My dad had the TAVR procedure and recovered very quickly.

I had a few major cardiac arrests that darned near took me out back in 2019/2020.

All because of my thyroid gland, incidentally. I always thought I was just high strung, but found out after the cardiac arrests and an episode of thyroid storm that it was hyperthyroidism at the root.

I was also a grouchy asshole back then, too. A whacky thyroid really affects your entire chemistry. Thinking back, I was really hard on some people on here. A couple in particular. Ha. I think coyote probably caught the brunt of it back then. I kind of feel bad about it sometimes, looking back.

Anyway, long story short, I did the cardiac rehab for a while. They monitor your body's response to activity pretty good. It's worth doing in that regard alone because your activity is monitored by health professionals and in that specific field of cardiology.

Since I've had the radiation to kill off my thyroid and on the artificial hormones to replace the thyroid function and no more heart problems to speak of, I've recently got back down in the dungeon pretty regularly. That's what I call my gym downstairs. And so I don't do the supervised/monitored activity any more.

Last edited:
My dad is my hero and best friend. I'd do anything for him and don't want to envision life without him. We live about 100 miles apart but I visit as often as possible despite my busy schedule.

My dad received a new heart valve in October and is now attending cardiac rehab. He feels strong and the sessions have been very beneficial to him. Has anyone here had the same experience?
if he is doing his physical therapy he'll be fine. maybe better than ever. my brother recovered from his, but he worked on it. walking is good, but bike is maybe a little better (low impact)

I had bypass surgery 30 years ago at age 42. I was in reasonably good shape and healthy in all other regards. I am sure the rehab was beneficial, but I think I could have rehabbed myself. However the majority of the other folks that were in the sessions with me were in worse shape physically and I am positive that the rehab benefitted them immensely. Not knowing your dad's age or condition, I would recommend he stick with it. It will help him regardless.

the advance in medical knowledge doubles each yr....think about that.15 yrs from now his procedure will be so yesterday

glad all is well

1705641514194.png

Attachments

• 1705641513387.png
    1705641513387.png
    290.6 KB · Views: 2
Yup

Forum List

Back