Dems Went Around Congress To Feature Flukes' Testimony

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Limbaugh%20Furor_Spie.jpg

Dems Play Games Over Sandra Flukes' Temstimony

Given the intensifying political fight over Rush Limbaugh's remarks about Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown University activist/law student who was not allowed to testify at a February 16 House hearing on the contraceptive mandate issue, the question arises: Why didn't Republicans just allow Fluke to testify? The testimony she ended up giving at a Democrats-only meeting a few days later wasn't particularly compelling, and, had Fluke appeared before the full Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Republicans could have pretty easily challenged her positions. Yet the GOP refused to allow Fluke to appear, and events have raced along since then. So why not let Fluke speak?

"The Democrats played games with us the day before [the hearing]," says a Republican committee source. "After days of asking for a witness, they waited until the last minute, the afternoon before the hearing. They asked us to invite Rev. Barry Lynn [head of Americans United for Separation of Church and State] and Ms. Fluke. We said we'll invite one, per standard procedure. We formally invited Rev. Lynn, and the Democrats, at 4:30 pm, changed their mind and said they wanted Fluke. We said too late. They told Rev. Lynn not to show up the next day."

When the hearing took place, Democrats proceeded to clobber Republicans. "Where are the women?" asked New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney as she looked at the all-male first panel for the hearing. (Two women testified in the hearing's second panel, but Maloney and her fellow Democrats ignored that.)

Issa explained that Democrats had requested Barry Lynn, that Lynn was invited, and that Democrats then retracted the Lynn request. As for Fluke, Issa said Republicans had never heard of the Democrats' last-minute choice. "I asked our staff what is her background, what has she done," Issa said at the hearing. "They did the usual that we do when we're not provided the three days and the forms to go with it. They did a Google search. They looked and found that she was, in fact, and is a college student who appears to have become energized over this issue and participated in approximately a 45-minute press conference…I cannot and will not arbitrarily take a majority or minority witness if they do not have the appropriate credentials, both for a hearing at the full committee of the U.S. House of Representatives and if we cannot vet them in a timely fashion." (Fluke is in fact a 30 year-old law student with an extensive history of activism in leftist causes.)

So the Fluke controversy was born. In a letter to committee Democrats Friday, Issa said the "aspersions directed at Ms. Sandra Fluke made by radio show host Rush Limbaugh" were "inappropriate." But Issa also accused Democrats of "failure to recognize your own contributions to the denigration of this discussion and attacks on people of religious faith." Issa again explained his handling of the February 16 hearing, complaining that Democrats "have appeared outright giddy in attempting to distort the testimony offered and purpose of the hearing."

"All of you, even the minority members who walked out of the hearing before Dr. Laura Champion and Dr. Allison Garrett testified, knew very well that the rhetorical question, 'Where are the women?' and the claim that the hearing was somehow an assault on women was disingenuous and inflammatory," Issa wrote.

So Issa had his reasons for refusing to give Fluke a spot. And indeed, as it turned out, she didn't have much to say. The entire basis of her testimony to the Democratic Steering Committee the next week was that she had "a friend" who had a medical problem that required her to take birth control pills. Georgetown's policy covers her friend's condition, Fluke said, but did not actually pay for the pills, which caused her friend to stop purchasing and taking the pills and, later, to suffer a medical emergency. It was all pretty vague, and certainly wasn't expert testimony.

But then Limbaugh entered the picture and Democrats, including President Obama himself, jumped on the issue. Could it have been avoided if Issa had allowed Fluke, an unqualified witness but one the Democrats wanted, to testify? For Issa, it was a tough choice.

GOP: Dems 'played games' over Sandra Fluke | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

It has become clear that the GOP cannot trust the Democrats. They're constantly pulling these stunts.

How can anyone maintain their sanity in the Capital building with these shenanigans going on.

I would seriously kick somebody's ass. That's why I'd never make a good politician.

LOL. You wingnuts got a serious asskicking with the dumb comments you have made concerning women. You will pay in a big way come 6Nov12.

I know you can do something dumber for an encore. Don't have any idea what that would be, but I am sure you will not disappoint me.

It has become clear that the GOP cannot trust the Democrats. They're constantly pulling these stunts.

How can anyone maintain their sanity in the Capital building with these shenanigans going on.

I would seriously kick somebody's ass. That's why I'd never make a good politician.

So many members of The Party of Personal Responsibility™ don't seem to want to face up to the fact that it's ultimately their own members - notably one of their biggest mouthpieces - who are responsible for their current fortunes.

Yeah it was a political stunt. Unfortuantely, Rush played right into their hands. Which Im sure is pissing him off right now.

Given the intensifying political fight over Rush Limbaugh's remarks about Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown University activist/law student who was not allowed to testify at a February 16 House hearing on the contraceptive mandate issue, the question arises: Why didn't Republicans just allow Fluke to testify? The testimony she ended up giving at a Democrats-only meeting a few days later wasn't particularly compelling, and, had Fluke appeared before the full Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Republicans could have pretty easily challenged her positions. Yet the GOP refused to allow Fluke to appear, and events have raced along since then. So why not let Fluke speak?

"The Democrats played games with us the day before [the hearing]," says a Republican committee source. "After days of asking for a witness, they waited until the last minute, the afternoon before the hearing. They asked us to invite Rev. Barry Lynn [head of Americans United for Separation of Church and State] and Ms. Fluke. We said we'll invite one, per standard procedure. We formally invited Rev. Lynn, and the Democrats, at 4:30 pm, changed their mind and said they wanted Fluke. We said too late. They told Rev. Lynn not to show up the next day."

When the hearing took place, Democrats proceeded to clobber Republicans. "Where are the women?" asked New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney as she looked at the all-male first panel for the hearing. (Two women testified in the hearing's second panel, but Maloney and her fellow Democrats ignored that.)

Issa explained that Democrats had requested Barry Lynn, that Lynn was invited, and that Democrats then retracted the Lynn request. As for Fluke, Issa said Republicans had never heard of the Democrats' last-minute choice. "I asked our staff what is her background, what has she done," Issa said at the hearing. "They did the usual that we do when we're not provided the three days and the forms to go with it. They did a Google search. They looked and found that she was, in fact, and is a college student who appears to have become energized over this issue and participated in approximately a 45-minute press conference…I cannot and will not arbitrarily take a majority or minority witness if they do not have the appropriate credentials, both for a hearing at the full committee of the U.S. House of Representatives and if we cannot vet them in a timely fashion." (Fluke is in fact a 30 year-old law student with an extensive history of activism in leftist causes.)

So the Fluke controversy was born. In a letter to committee Democrats Friday, Issa said the "aspersions directed at Ms. Sandra Fluke made by radio show host Rush Limbaugh" were "inappropriate." But Issa also accused Democrats of "failure to recognize your own contributions to the denigration of this discussion and attacks on people of religious faith." Issa again explained his handling of the February 16 hearing, complaining that Democrats "have appeared outright giddy in attempting to distort the testimony offered and purpose of the hearing."

"All of you, even the minority members who walked out of the hearing before Dr. Laura Champion and Dr. Allison Garrett testified, knew very well that the rhetorical question, 'Where are the women?' and the claim that the hearing was somehow an assault on women was disingenuous and inflammatory," Issa wrote.

So Issa had his reasons for refusing to give Fluke a spot. And indeed, as it turned out, she didn't have much to say. The entire basis of her testimony to the Democratic Steering Committee the next week was that she had "a friend" who had a medical problem that required her to take birth control pills. Georgetown's policy covers her friend's condition, Fluke said, but did not actually pay for the pills, which caused her friend to stop purchasing and taking the pills and, later, to suffer a medical emergency. It was all pretty vague, and certainly wasn't expert testimony.

But then Limbaugh entered the picture and Democrats, including President Obama himself, jumped on the issue. Could it have been avoided if Issa had allowed Fluke, an unqualified witness but one the Democrats wanted, to testify? For Issa, it was a tough choice.

GOP: Dems 'played games' over Sandra Fluke | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

Has this chick ever heard of a brush or shampoo?

Yeah it was a political stunt. Unfortuantely, Rush played right into their hands. Which Im sure is pissing him off right now.

Well, anyone who falls for it deserves the kind of government the Democrats will bring.

I imagine Rush is really pissed at himself. That woman was an idiot and they could have totally made her look foolish. Now they have to be careful not to look like they're picking on her.

If the GOP had pulled a stunt like this the Dems would be looking into her personal life and be trashing her like they did Joe The Plumber. The media would have pounced on the Repugs about cheating and squished the shit out of them.

Has this chick ever heard of a brush or shampoo?

That's probably messy-look pomade.

Just keep talking Mud. I really like what you are saying. I wish you could express yourself on a national radio program. I am sure that would turn a couple of red states blue in November.

Just keep talking Mud. I really like what you are saying. I wish you could express yourself on a national radio program. I am sure that would turn a couple of red states blue in November.

It's clear you like a dishonest Mickey Mouse government.

We'll see if the rest of America is as stupid as you are.

If the GOP had pulled a stunt like this the Dems would be looking into her personal life and be trashing her like they did Joe The Plumber. The media would have pounced on the Repugs about cheating and squished the shit out of them.

I have no doubt that you are correct. But we aren't Democrats. We need to stop acting like them.

I have no doubt that you are correct. But we aren't Democrats. We need to stop acting like them.

True. Rush said exactly that this morning.

When you're losing the argument, change the subject. The dems were getting whacked on the freedom of religion thing, so they changed the subject. BFD, nobody's going to care about this, it'll blow over fairly soon.

What's bothering me though is the question of "what's next"? Today it's free contraceptives, what'll it be tomorrow, free breast exams, free cholesterol checks, free this free that. I wish democrats could understand that nothing is free, somebody is going to pay for it in some way.

When you're losing the argument, change the subject. The dems were getting whacked on the freedom of religion thing, so they changed the subject. BFD, nobody's going to care about this, it'll blow over fairly soon.

What's bothering me though is the question of "what's next"? Today it's free contraceptives, what'll it be tomorrow, free breast exams, free cholesterol checks, free this free that. I wish democrats could understand that nothing is free, somebody is going to pay for it in some way.

Today it's free contraceptives, what'll it be tomorrow, free breast exams, free cholesterol checks, free this free that.

The republicans were wrong to try and exclude a "coverage" that is basic for women's health - within their health insurance policy they are "paying" a premium for.

I started this thread because I wanted everyone to see what the Democrats did....what they are doing.

If you like it when your government representatives act like spoiled brats instead of adults then don't start complaining about how our federal government doesn't work anymore. This is why.

These are the kind of stunts Democrats and the White House are pulling on the GOP. When the cameras are off Obama storms out of meetings with Republicans and with world leaders he doesn't like. If we could see what they were doing few of us would think it was worthy of the positions they hold.

In this kind of environment nothing can get accomplished, yet the Democrats claim it's the GOP that's being uncooperative. This proves it's the Democrats are the problem.

I'm just wondering why so many can't see this.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mud. You have succeeded in exposing the Democratic party for the dishonest body that it is. Thank goodness we have the GOP to counter that dishonesty with undying integrity. They make this country work!

What depth and insight!

As is Rush, he put the matter BACK in internet news yesterday. Rush knows how to drag in millions.

What depth and insight!

I can tell you don't like rude people.

Why are you always so rude?

I repeat.......

I started this thread because I wanted everyone to see what the Democrats did....what they are doing.

If you like it when your government representatives act like spoiled brats instead of adults then don't start complaining about how our federal government doesn't work anymore. This is why.

These are the kind of stunts Democrats and the White House are pulling on the GOP. When the cameras are off Obama storms out of meetings with Republicans and with world leaders he doesn't like. If we could see what they were doing few of us would think it was worthy of the positions they hold.

In this kind of environment nothing can get accomplished, yet the Democrats claim it's the GOP that's being uncooperative. This proves the Democrats are at least a major part of the problem.

I'm just wondering why so many can't see this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back