Defense Bill Stalls on Procedural Vote, Senate Blocks 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Repeal

Interesting that the wingnuts would put those serving in harms way at higher risk because of their homophobia.

You're a dumbass. It wasn't the DADT add-on that caused the bill to be rejected. You liberals are the dumbest people I've ever seen.

Then educate me. What caused the bill to be rejected?

Well I am sure Refusing to even consider A single Republican Amendment to the Bill might have had something to do with it.

You're a dumbass. It wasn't the DADT add-on that caused the bill to be rejected. You liberals are the dumbest people I've ever seen.

Well I am sure Refusing to even consider A single Republican Amendment to the Bill might have had something to do with it.

Ah so your argument is, they didn't vote "No" because of stupid little bullshit the Dems tried to tuck into it; They in fact voted "no" because they didn't have an opportunity to tuck their own stupid little bullshit in?

I can jive with that. So DADT is the red herring and in fact they're just pissed they weren't allowed their own pet projects, no doubt they wanted to privatize the Secret Service with Guiliani's security firm or some stupid thing.

Ah so your argument is, they didn't vote "No" because of stupid little bullshit the Dems tried to tuck into it; They in fact voted "no" because they didn't have an opportunity to tuck their own stupid little bullshit in?

I can jive with that. So DADT is the red herring and in fact they're just pissed they weren't allowed their own pet projects, no doubt they wanted to privatize the Secret Service with Guiliani's security firm or some stupid thing.

:clap2: :clap2:

6n6c9sh00a.jpg

Queerness is a behaviour.

Behaviour is moot after death

The illustration seems to conveniently omit this relatively important point.

Imagine if the person exhibiting that behavior prevented someone who didn't exhibit that behavior from ending up in a casket...:eusa_eh:

Oh, and the point your make is only relatively important to someone who is prejudiced.

Last edited:
Interesting how most of us realized this political ploy by Reid and Associates, to recently add a few extra program ideas to make DADT a Dream Bill, knowing it would go down to defeat and then blame the Republicans. Obama campaigned on the repeal of DADT but was just now getting around to taking it seriously. Republicans wanted to take this Bill one add-on at a time. Two Dem Senators voted against it also. Political timing. :eusa_whistle:

SNIP:

The routine bill authorizing $726 billion in defense spending had turned into a political football in recent days as lawmakers feuded over add-ons that dealt with cultural hot buttons ranging from immigration to abortion to gays in the military. [Abortion and Illegals going to college ]

The vote Tuesday was a blow to gay rights advocates who saw the defense authorization bill as the only vehicle through which to repeal the law before the election.

FOXNews.com - Defense Bill Stalls on Procedural Vote, Senate Blocks 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Repeal

Here's a quick analysis, with humor, of who wanted to attach what amendments onto the bill (stalling it).

Are We Run by A**holes? - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 9/22/2010 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Does not supersede their unadulterated hatred of homosexuals.

FOXNews.com - Defense Bill Stalls on Procedural Vote, Senate Blocks 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Repeal

Ain't that some shit? After all the rabble-rousing about Democrats holding up a defense bill in 2007, holding out for withdrawal dates, the entire GOP and 2 Dems refuse to even let the $768B defense authorization bill proceed to debate due to opposition to repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

First Question: Does the GOP really give that much of a shit about DADT, or are they just trying to corner Obama into "Breaking another campaign promise?"

Second Question: Do the dems stand their ground, to the point of letting the bill fail and defunding the military? Or do they fold like a lawn chair, once again, to the minority party?

Some budding entrepreneur needs to develop a new board game:
THE 111TH UNITED STATES CONGRESS

Ya cause the dems never found a defense bill they couldn't tack some odious amendment on, right? The Defense bill is not the place for the Dream act or the removal of Don't ask Don't tell. If the Democrats were honest they would create a separate bill for each. They lost in an attempt to politicize this. The American people know what this attempt was. A blatant political ploy.

The dems campaigned on this issue, and the dems won. The electorate spoke very clearly.

I, for one, am sick of 41 dodos holding up the will of the nation.

So tell me, why is it more important to you to oppress homosexuals than it is to support our troops? It's a simple question.[

what else would one expect from the simpleminded?

One Republican, Susan Collins of Maine, said she voted to block the bill for procedural reasons despite supporting the provision to allow repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

“There are many controversial issues in this bill,” Ms. Collins said in a floor speech. “They deserve to have a civil, fair and open debate on the Senate floor, and that is why I am so disappointed that rather than allowing full and open debate and the opportunity for amendments from both sides of the aisle, the majority leader apparently intends to shut down the debate and exclude Republicans from offering a number of amendments.”....

Both Arkansas Democrats, Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor, sided with all 40 Republicans present in opposing debate. Mr. Reid switched his vote to no at the last minute, a procedural maneuver that allowed him to call for a revote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/us/politics/22cong.html?_r=1&hp

why do you hate freedom?

The late date for docketing the defense authorization bill doesn't allow for any time to debate amendments, period. Some members are already getting ready to take off earlier than the scheduled recess to go back home to campaign. Just the length of time it took for all these clowns to debate moving it forward into formal debate should have been a clue that it would go nowhere yesterday.

Queerness is a behaviour.

Behaviour is moot after death

The illustration seems to conveniently omit this relatively important point.
Relative to what, Samson?
Their sacrifice?
I think the sacrifice (the significance of the flag draped casket) is *more* relatively important than their behavior in the bedroom.

Relative to the LIVING.

Frankly, I don't really care if Queers want to be in the military, but its a little ridiculous to base the arguement on the dead (who, at least for most, have no sexual preference).

Someone may have already posted this. I haven't read the whole thread.

“When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.” — the tombstone epitaph of decorated Air Force Sgt. Leonard Matlovich, whose “medals, uniform and other personal effects make up the centerpiece of ‘Out Ranks,’ a new exhibit that documents the tortured relationship between gay troops and the U.S. military from World War II to the present.”

Matlovich, who died in 1988, was a decorated Air Force sergeant who came out to his commanding officer a month before the fall of Saigon, hoping to challenge the government’s ban on gay service members. In 1975, the idea of an openly gay combat veteran was incongruous enough to land him on the cover of Time magazine.

The goal of the show, though, is to illustrate that gays are and always have served their country, often with honor and always under the threat of dishonorable discharge. It opened on Flag Day as momentum builds in Congress for repealing the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, Don’t Pursue” policy adopted under President Bill Clinton.

The DADT definitely will be repealed, but Harry Reid is a scumbag for tacking it onto this particular legislation. You see, every single move made in politics is a rational move, meaning it has a purpose or a goal. Harry Reid knew he didn't have the votes for this, not because of DADT but because of the anti-amendment policy on this legislation, and the DREAM act that was added on. Thus, he knowingly blocked Republicans from amending this legislation because he knew it would force them not to vote for it, making republicans look like the bad guy (which they are at this point, but this is purely political and a waste of time) Reid is a savvy politician, but he is an idiot if he thinks he could rush through the DREAM act and DADT repeal without debate or results from congressional research department. Look, I'm all for this bill, it should pass even with the added acts to it, but if you know for a fact that you don't have support, why waste everyone's time? Why not focus on one thing, either DADT or Dream act and then push it through congress by itself, with debate. Why get everyone's hopes up for nothing? Then, in the end back down on tax cuts for the wealthy. Effing pathetic. They low ball us by tacking on important acts to the defense budget without debate or possibility of amendment, expecting it to fail (spineless) then they back away from a golden opportunity in tax cuts for the wealthy? (Spineless) Seriously democrats are retarded, but unfortunately the lesser of two evils. Republicans at this point can't be trusted to do anything, especially when the Tea party starts to look more reasonable than the band wagon republicans riding their coat tails.

Interesting how most of us realized this political ploy by Reid and Associates, to recently add a few extra program ideas to make DADT a Dream Bill, knowing it would go down to defeat and then blame the Republicans. Obama campaigned on the repeal of DADT but was just now getting around to taking it seriously. Republicans wanted to take this Bill one add-on at a time. Two Dem Senators voted against it also. Political timing. :eusa_whistle:

SNIP:

The routine bill authorizing $726 billion in defense spending had turned into a political football in recent days as lawmakers feuded over add-ons that dealt with cultural hot buttons ranging from immigration to abortion to gays in the military. [Abortion and Illegals going to college ]

The vote Tuesday was a blow to gay rights advocates who saw the defense authorization bill as the only vehicle through which to repeal the law before the election.

It should be blocked. Solves that for you .... leftwingnut nonrealist.

Forum List

Back