Debt Ceiling Threats Not a Winning Formula

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nodoginnafight, Jan 4, 2013.

1. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I'm wondering how a party is going to re-brand themselves as the party of fiscal responsibility by threatening not to pay their bills?

What kind of climate does that create for big business when they can't know for sure whether or not the United States of America is goiing to pay their bills? It's impossible for business to thrive in a climate in which the U.S. has to haggle over whether or not to default every two years (or less).

"Yeah, I know we signed a contract with you for 25 planes (or 10 miles of road, or repairs to a dock, etc ...) but now we're thinking we just might not pay for it. Just depends on what the other guys are willing to do for US."

I think I join almost everyone in wanting to see some meaningful cuts in government spending. (Personally, I'd favor about 5% across the board - NO sacred cows - to start with.) But the uncertainty and damage done to EVERYONE by taking us to the brink of default is just wrong. It merely supports the claim that you are putting the good of the country on the back burner in order to promote your personal political agenda.

If that's NOT what you're doing, then prove it. Don't play political football with the debt ceiling. Make your case to the people - pressure the Democrats that way. I think it's a winning issue.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. LadyGunSlinger

LadyGunSlinger Conservative Babe Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,196
    How is borrowing money paying bills?? My God, you liberals are literally brain dead.

3. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Do I really have to explain it to you? Seriously?

4. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    That will be up to the Democrats.

The Republicans will certainly pass the needed legislation to raise the debt ceiling.

5. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    we will see.

and we will see what they demand "in return."

Not the place to play chicken. You'd think they would have learned that from the fiscal cliff issue. They are in no better position (right now) to win a stare down on the debt ceiling. Now, if they get out in fron, and present legislation to raise the debt ceiling that also includes spending cuts that appear reasonable to a majority, then they have a chance to do what you say - put the impetus on the Democrats to agree or be blamed.

But if they have to be careful not to step too far - else THEY will bear the burden of playing political football with something that should be routine - paying your bills.

6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,684
    if demoncraps will stop spending this izzewe will go away!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    For the first time I can remember, I actually agree with something you've posted.
    Yes, serious and meaningful spending cuts will (imho) take this issue off the table.

But if you think it's only Democrats who have participated in over-spending, then you've just been duped. BOTH parties have jumped at the chance to shower their buddies with goodies and favors in return for their support - using OUR money.

8. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    This guy ought to work for MSLSD. Gotta love his spin. :clap2:

9. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    So now that the House has a chance to get possible meaningful cuts you want them to cave.

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    No, we the people and Republicans should just bend over to the thug Obama and his comrades in arms along with their Lapdog lamestream media..

WE will be blamed anyway

people better start understanding the LAMEsteam media has become a enemy to a lot of us in this country