Deal made- gov. stays open..

No, he doesn't. Thomas is a neocon and social Conservative.

and a drunk

Least my sister will now be paid on time..She was worried.

And before any jackoff says shit, she is in the navy, and her husband is a marine.

From what I have read leading up to this, the military (at least the essential personnel) were scheduled to be paid even if the government was shut down.

Can I ask if you had different information in that regard as I am curious to know.

If you have an answer to this and I don't respond tonight, thank you but I am headed to bed shortly.

Immie
the military ,SS, and the US mail will stay open and paid ,
the repigs use filibusters and government shutdown , the Dems cave no matter what , the Dems are like the french , surrender is their first thought

for someone who advocates for a 500 billion dollar carnival trick, I guess thats what I could expect.

Nonsense. The attacks on that originated with Paul Ryan. The very same Paul Ryan who incorporated that "carnival trick" wholesale into his budget proposal.

Granted, those savings don't actually make sense in the context of his proposal. But at least he's made it clear that his charges were simply empty posturing. Because that wasn't obvious all along.

Most of the crap was taken out, including the Planned Parenthood part.

That can be said in two words, Luissa, and has been by many in this thread.

Those two words: Boehner caved.

And like I said yesterday, he did it on Friday night. They announced it after midnight and by Monday morning most everyone will be bitching about something else. No one will even remember this in 2012.

Immie

Last edited:
I thought Boehner and the GOP came out of it pretty well, they got historic spending cuts from a democratic Senate and WH and avoided a shutdown that many might have blamed them for and used against them next year. This was it, as good as they were going to get, and besides it showed Boehner has enough control over his caucus to make them very formidable in the budget talks for FY 2012. Looked to me like they (GOP) were dealing from a position of resolute strength thanks in part to the TP and all those freshman reps.

Well, now we know something about you. You are an optimist.

Immie

The gutless Republicans and Tea Partiers BLINKED FIRST. At this point there is no way that I could vote for any of them again. PERIOD. They are no better than the Democrats or RINOs in my mind.

for someone who advocates for a 500 billion dollar carnival trick, I guess thats what I could expect.

Nonsense. The attacks on that originated with Paul Ryan. The very same Paul Ryan who incorporated that "carnival trick" wholesale into his budget proposal.

Granted, those savings don't actually make sense in the context of his proposal. But at least he's made it clear that his charges were simply empty posturing. Because that wasn't obvious all along.

ah well, we are making progress, so it was a budget trick?

If Ryan et al perpetrate similar frauds, I have no issue calling them out on it, I don't give a hoot as to who, I give a hoot as to how.

ah well, we are making progress, so it was a budget trick?

No. That's my point.

If I were a betting man, I'd be offering 10:1 odds that Boehner and company caved and 50:1 odds that come next election the Republicans and Tea Party will have forgotten.

Immie

I'd bet 100:1 odds that you're a parasite sucking on the government tit.

You're right. I'm unemployed and have been for 14 months. I've continued to pay all my bills so far, drained my savings and my 401(k) and am draining my IRAs and paying the frigging penalty for doing so as well, but I am still paying my bills while accepting the unemployment insurance I have paid into for 30 years, but I am still sucking off the government's tit.

Your point is... oh, that is right, that I should thank Boehner and company and the Tea Party. For doing what may I ask?

The federal government has to cut spending. They haven't cut shit here and they are still funding PP.

Have you listened to Michele Bachmann about this? She's making excuses already! Come 2012, you guys are going to be telling us that Bachmann and company are better than the Democrats (which they marginally are) so we have to ignore the fact that they didn't do what they promised. In the mean time, we will slide further and further into debt.

But dagnammit, you should vote for your "tea party" candidate because they "promise" to cut spending. Screw that shit.

Immie

Last edited:
and a drunk

Least my sister will now be paid on time..She was worried.

And before any jackoff says shit, she is in the navy, and her husband is a marine.

From what I have read leading up to this, the military (at least the essential personnel) were scheduled to be paid even if the government was shut down.

Can I ask if you had different information in that regard as I am curious to know.

If you have an answer to this and I don't respond tonight, thank you but I am headed to bed shortly.

Immie
the repigs use filibusters and government shutdown , the Dems cave no matter what , the Dems are like the french , surrender is their first thought

I'm sorry, the Dems caved? Are you serious. They got everything they wanted in this including making Boehner and company looking like nitwits, but the Dems caved? Really? You must have wanted another trillion or two "stimulus" money in this years budget.

Immie

The GOP did the right thing. The real battles are the Debt Ceiling and the Real Budget (The Ryan Plan). Delaying getting to these by fighting over a few $billion is a waste of dry powder.

Now the real work can begin - and the troops in the field are no longer held hostage by the Dems.

Immie

I'm sorry, the Dems caved? Are you serious. They got everything they wanted in this including making Boehner and company looking like nitwits, but the Dems caved? Really? You must have wanted another trillion or two "stimulus" money in this years budget.

Immie

Are you kidding? They caved big time, especially Reid. The Dems WANTED a shut down.

Also, there is going to be a separate Senate vote on the bill to cancel ObamaCare. That is huge.

The GOP did the right thing. The real battles are the Debt Ceiling and the Real Budget (The Ryan Plan). Delaying getting to these by fighting over a few $billion is a waste of dry powder.

Now the real work can begin - and the troops in the field are no longer held hostage by the Dems.

I hope you're right. The armor on my chosen knights has been tarnished for some time though, and nobody wants to see it shined back up more than me.

Michelle Bachmann voted "no" on the continuing resolution. I'm not sure she voted 'no' for all the right reasons, but she voted 'no' so her credentials with the Tea Partiers will remain solid.

But if our fearless leaders don't dig in and start some real reforms over the next several months, I think the GOP is done for as well as it being a very bad situation for us all. I think we are nearing a critical tipping point that may make it virtually impossible to turn it around in our generation.

Immie

Are you kidding? They caved big time, especially Reid. The Dems WANTED a shut down.

Also, there is going to be a separate Senate vote on the bill to cancel ObamaCare. That is huge.

Are you kidding?

The Dems wanted Boehner to shut down the government. When Boehner and company accepted their offer, Reid had no choice but to move forward.

A separate vote on removing the funding of Health Care Reform? Reid promised a vote on HCR in the Senate... controlled by Dems. Big deal, everyone knows that is not going to pass, if he even allows it. My understanding is they promised the same thing on Planned Parenthood funding.

In the meantime, they cut $38.5 billion out of this year's budget. We don't yet even know what that consists of which is something I can't wait to hear. Truthfully, I would not be surprised if it didn't all come out of the defense budget to further prove that Boehner is weak. I highly doubt it came out of anything near and dear to the Democratic Party since it is supposedly what they offered in the first place.

Immie

PS: forgive me if I sound a bit cynical about the Republicans who have promised to reduce the deficit.

Last edited:
They cut $80B from the Obama budget. A tiny amount in the scheme of things - but the CR issue was gating getting to the real budget discussions. Now it is no longer a distraction.

Immie

Are you kidding?

The Dems wanted Boehner to shut down the government. When Boehner and company accepted their offer, Reid had no choice but to move forward.

A separate vote on removing the funding of Health Care Reform? Reid promised a vote on HCR in the Senate... controlled by Dems. Big deal, everyone knows that is not going to pass, if he even allows it. My understanding is they promised the same thing on Planned Parenthood funding.

In the meantime, they cut $38.5 billion out of this year's budget. We don't yet even know what that consists of which is something I can't wait to hear. Truthfully, I would not be surprised if it didn't all come out of the defense budget to further prove that Boehner is weak. I highly doubt it came out of anything near and dear to the Democratic Party since it is supposedly what they offered in the first place.

Immie

PS: forgive me if I sound a bit cynical about the Republicans who have promised to reduce the deficit.

I don't know Immie, seems they got what they could now, while not allowing the Democrats to blame them for the shut down. While the last election switched the House, it didn't change the Senate or President. Here's another way to look at the same results:

Boehner Wins Big - By Andrew Stiles - The Corner - National Review Online

Boehner Wins Big
April 9, 2011 2:21 A.M.
By Andrew Stiles

President Obama’s 2011 budget called for a spending increase of $40 billion. Tonight, he touted a bipartisan agreement on “the largest annual spending cut in our history” — some $38.5 billion [emphasis added]. All told, he got $78.5 billion less than he originally requested.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) didn’t want to cut anything at first. But bowing to political reality, eventually ponied up a measly $4.7 billion in cuts. He ended up with $33.8 billion less spending than he wanted. And he called it an “historic” accomplishment. (Not surprisingly, the left is appalled).

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio), on the other hand, initially proposed $32 billion in spending cuts. House Republicans, led by an undaunted freshman class, bumped that number up to $61 billion ($100 billion off the president’s budget), before settling on $38.5 billion.

That’s $6.5 billion more than Boehner asked for to begin with, and $5.5 billion more than the $33 billion that Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Democrats claimed had been agreed to less than two weeks ago. It remains to be seen how much of that will be “real” cuts to discretionary spending, but all told, it appears that we’'ll see a substantial reduction in baseline spending that will yield hundreds of billions in savings over the next decade.

But unlike Obama and Reid, the speaker didn’t quite feel the need to pat himself on the back over it. As he has said all along, “Our goal to cut spending and keep the government open.” He did just that. “We fought to keep government spending down,” Boehner told reporters in a brief speech after the deal was announced. And they’ll keep fighting, because the biggest battles — over the debt limit and the 2012 budget — are still to come...

The Dems will try to spin this as a loss for the GOP, but it's a move of desperation. They spent the past week hysterically blaming the GOP for being willing to shut down the government just to KILL WOMEN BY DENYING THEM HEALTH CARE.

Are you kidding?

Immie

I don't know Immie, seems they got what they could now, while not allowing the Democrats to blame them for the shut down. While the last election switched the House, it didn't change the Senate or President. Here's another way to look at the same results:

Boehner Wins Big - By Andrew Stiles - The Corner - National Review Online

Boehner Wins Big
April 9, 2011 2:21 A.M.
By Andrew Stiles

President Obama’s 2011 budget called for a spending increase of $40 billion. Tonight, he touted a bipartisan agreement on “the largest annual spending cut in our history” — some $38.5 billion [emphasis added]. All told, he got $78.5 billion less than he originally requested.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) didn’t want to cut anything at first. But bowing to political reality, eventually ponied up a measly $4.7 billion in cuts. He ended up with $33.8 billion less spending than he wanted. And he called it an “historic” accomplishment. (Not surprisingly, the left is appalled).

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio), on the other hand, initially proposed $32 billion in spending cuts. House Republicans, led by an undaunted freshman class, bumped that number up to $61 billion ($100 billion off the president’s budget), before settling on $38.5 billion.

That’s $6.5 billion more than Boehner asked for to begin with, and $5.5 billion more than the $33 billion that Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Democrats claimed had been agreed to less than two weeks ago. It remains to be seen how much of that will be “real” cuts to discretionary spending, but all told, it appears that we’'ll see a substantial reduction in baseline spending that will yield hundreds of billions in savings over the next decade.

But unlike Obama and Reid, the speaker didn’t quite feel the need to pat himself on the back over it. As he has said all along, “Our goal to cut spending and keep the government open.” He did just that. “We fought to keep government spending down,” Boehner told reporters in a brief speech after the deal was announced. And they’ll keep fighting, because the biggest battles — over the debt limit and the 2012 budget — are still to come...

If I am not mistaken, TM used to preach something about the fact that Democrats were cutting the budget by insisting that Bush's X% increase be lowered to a smaller number, but still an increase. It was such a ludicrous argument that I can't do it justice here.

Although we are told that this budget is the largest spending cut in history (dollar wise) the argument of adding the additional $40 billion that President Obama initially wanted into the equation is the same kind of ludicrous argument.

I have developed budgets before. Department heads always ask for more than they expect so that they get what they want and those that don't only end up losing more than they hoped, and next year, they are smart enough (if they are still employed that is) to know to ask for more than they need so that they have what they need when it is cut.

The argument that they cut $78.5 billion out of the budget rather than $38.5 billion is smoke and mirrors, but they will get away with it.

Immie

The Dems will try to spin this as a loss for the GOP, but it's a move of desperation. They spent the past week hysterically blaming the GOP for being willing to shut down the government just to KILL WOMEN BY DENYING THEM HEALTH CARE.

Well that's true. My liberal friends and relatives have been blasting the GOP all morning on Facebook. It's amazing what they accuse the GOP of wanting.

I guess I am sufficiently alarmed at the rate we're losing U.S. sovereignty to other nations that don't like us very well purely because we are having to allow them to fund our debt that is increasing hour by hour. I hope we have time to fix that slowly and carefully and with small bites as it appears will be the case.

The sooner we stop talking about $Bs of cuts and get to $Ts of cuts the better.

Well that's true. My liberal friends and relatives have been blasting the GOP all morning on Facebook. It's amazing what they accuse the GOP of wanting.

I guess I am sufficiently alarmed at the rate we're losing U.S. sovereignty to other nations that don't like us very well purely because we are having to allow them to fund our debt that is increasing hour by hour. I hope we have time to fix that slowly and carefully and with small bites as it appears will be the case.

Hmmm:

News Headlines

Toxic Dollar: Why Nobody Seems to Want US Currency
Published: Friday, 8 Apr 2011 |
By: Simon Hobbs

Traders are warning of a dramatic change in dollar selling. They fear central banks from the Middle East may force their Asian rivals to more aggressively drive the dollar down. ...

Forum List

Back