Deal made- gov. stays open..

The Republicans came out on top. More real cuts in spending will be coming. If the Democrats were still in control of the House,there would have been no cuts in spending at all. $38 Billion is clearly not enough but it's a start. I think Boehner & Ryan did all they could do considering the Democrats still control the Senate and White House. I just don't see how they could have done more. If you want more,then vote all Democrats out in 2012. The Republicans are finally acting like Conservatives again. And i honestly didn't think i would ever see that again. So kudos to Boehner & Ryan. They got all they could get. I'm ok with that.

Apologies if somebody has already posted this somewhere. It's from Carl Cameron at FoxNews, saying that Boehner and the GOP came away from this showdown as the winners. Okay, it's FoxNews, what else are they going to say, but look at what he says and tell me where he's wrong.

While Republicans wanted to cut more spending in Saturday's early morning compromise to keep the government open, they think they got the better of the deal.

Here's why: HR1 was originally to seek spending cuts of $32 billion until Tea Party conservatives insisted on more than $ 60 billion. House Speaker John Boehner won more cuts than he originally sought and got the Senate to agree to votes to defund the health care reform law and groups like the nation's largest abortion provider Planned Parenthood - once votes Senate Majority leader Harry Reid said he'd never allow to come to the floor.Back on February 3, Reid called $32 billion in cuts "extreme" and "draconian."

At a news conference New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., agreed, "I happen to think some of their cuts are extreme and go overboard. But every week they keep upping the ante and proposing extreme cuts."

Over the next decade the cuts are expected to save hundreds of billions of dollars.

The deal mandates a host of studies and audits of Obama administration policies. It also blocks additional funds for the IRS sought by the Obama administration and bans federal funding of abortion in Washington, D.C.

The history of offers on this bill goes something like this. Democrats first offered no cuts, then $4 billion, then $6.5 billion, then $33 billion, then settled at $38.5 billion.

Boehner made numerous adjustments to his offer in recent days too, but started at $32 billion, then with a Tea Party push went to $62 billion, then dropped to $40 billion, then $38.5 billion.

Democrats claimed they met Republicans halfway after the $10 billion in cuts that already passed this year were approved. They settled late Friday night at three and a half times more.

Boehner came in $8.5 billion higher than the halfway point between his high offer of $61 billion in cuts and the Democrats opening bid of zero cuts.

what done is done, though I laud especially the reductions in baseline spending that will reduce spending by approx. 300 billion over the next several years, I still have a hard time buying that 80 billion is the best we could have done.

anyway, another plus....(I take exception to the word "controversial" being applied here but the wapo cannot always help itself);

Budget deal includes D.C. abortion rider, money for school vouchers
By Ben Pershing

The spending deal agreed to Friday night to avert a government shutdown includes a provision banning the District from spending its own funds to provide abortions to low-income women as well as funding to continue a controversial school voucher program.

The inclusion of the abortion policy “rider” represents a victory for Republicans, who previously imposed such a ban when they controlled Congress and who included the provision in the version of the continuing resolution passed by the House in February. And it marks a sharp defeat for D.C. leaders, who fought to keep the ban out of a deal.

more at-

Budget deal includes D.C. abortion rider, money for school vouchers - D.C. Wire - The Washington Post

Last edited:
Tea Partiers need to be careful they don't begin being known as a bunch of miserable Whiners. Obviously $38 Billion is not enough but it is a start. The Republican Party is headed in the right direction. They should be encouraged to continue moving in this direction. All the whining & complaining about these cuts not being enough is not helpful. There would be no cuts at all if the Democrats still controlled the House of Representatives. So it's important to stay positive on this. Real cuts wont happen until the Republicans take the Senate & White House back. Look to 2012 and try to stay positive. Things are changing.

The Republicans came out on top. More real cuts in spending will be coming. If the Democrats were still in control of the House,there would have been no cuts in spending at all. $38 Billion is clearly not enough but it's a start. I think Boehner & Ryan did all they could do considering the Democrats still control the Senate and White House. I just don't see how they could have done more. If you want more,then vote all Democrats out in 2012. The Republicans are finally acting like Conservatives again. And i honestly didn't think i would ever see that again. So kudos to Boehner & Ryan. They got all they could get. I'm ok with that.

Okay. You're in such good company with your opinion on this that I have to believe you all aren't way out of step, so I have to consider I may be the one seeing it wrong. So I'll deep six my disappointment for a bit and put this into wait and see (and hope) mode.

I really do prefer that all of you be right and me be the one wrong on this one. :)

Okay. You're in such good company with your opinion on this that I have to believe you all aren't way out of step, so I have to consider I may be the one seeing it wrong. So I'll deep six my disappointment for a bit and put this into wait and see (and hope) mode.

I really do prefer that all of you be right and me be the one wrong on this one. :)

I understand where you're coming from. But keep in mind,no cuts in spending would have happened at all if the Democrats still controlled the House of Representatives. I'm gonna go ahead and think Glass Half-Full on this. The Republicans seem to be headed in the right direction. I think it's unwise to constantly only complain about these cuts not being enough. That's just not helpful.

The Tea Partiers really do need to be careful. If they're only gonna whine & complain about the Republicans,they'll begin to tune them out. No one likes a constant whiner. many Republican Politicians will turn on the Tea Partiers if they only stand for negative complaining. This wasn't a great deal but it is a start. Tea Partiers should applaud these cuts and not just complain about them not being enough. They may begin to alienate themselves. Lets just applaud this and look to 2012. Taking the Senate & White House back will lead to real change. So come on 2012!

I understand where you're coming from. But keep in mind,no cuts in spending would have happened at all if the Democrats still controlled the House of Representatives. I'm gonna go ahead and think Glass Half-Full on this. The Republicans seem to be headed in the right direction. I think it's unwise to constantly only complain about these cuts not being enough. That's just not helpful.

The Tea Partiers really do need to be careful. If they're only gonna whine & complain about the Republicans,they'll begin to tune them out. No one likes a constant whiner. many Republican Politicians will turn on the Tea Partiers if they only stand for negative complaining. This wasn't a great deal but it is a start. Tea Partiers should applaud these cuts and not just complain about them not being enough. They may begin to alienate themselves. Lets just applaud this and look to 2012. Taking the Senate & White House back will lead to real change. So come on 2012!

I agree as stated earlier that they probably got the best deal they could. However, the second part regarding the tea parties? Not so much. There's no doubt that the elite of the Republicans hate what is happening as much as the Democratic elite. Both parties of the political elite tried to ignore then ridicule the tea parties. It didn't work out well for any of them.

What I do fear is the extreme right trying to co-op the tea parties, but that can only happen if the fiscal conservatives let it. It's not the 'tea parties' that would be holding out for PP, whether or not they are pro or anti-abortion.

When did the Republicans ever "propose" $30 billion? $100 billion is what they proposed.

February 3, 2011:

WASHINGTON — After clamoring loudly about their plans to curtail federal spending, House Republicans announced Thursday that they would cut $32 billion for the remainder of the fiscal year — a minuscule amount compared with a projected annual deficit of nearly $1.5 trillion.

The Republican proposal is effectively $58 billion less than the domestic and foreign aid programs in President Obama’s budget request for 2011 — far short of the $100 billion in cuts that Representative John A. Boehner promised before the November elections that catapulted Republicans into the House majority and made him the speaker.
Ah, you mean the RINOs in the party proposed $33 billion until the TEA party members stiffened their spines.

Deals have to be made. That's just how it works. The Republicans only control the House of Representatives. The Democrats still control the Senate & White House. Nothing more could be accomplished. You want real cuts? Then make sure you vote out all Democrats in 2012. Because that's the only way you're gonna see significant cuts in spending. I thought Boehner and Ryan did a great job in leading on this. Just seeing the Republicans moving back towards Conservatism is enough for me.

Tea Partiers need to be careful whining & complaining so much on this stuff. They should instead be encouraging Republicans to continue moving in the right direction. They risk becoming irrelevant if they only want to whine & complain all the time. If they keep it up,many Republican Politicians will choose to turn on them and tell em to go fuck themselves. This wasn't a great deal but it's the best deal they were gonna get. Real cuts wont happen until the Republicans take the Senate & White House back. I'm choosing to be optimistic & positive on this. Their heading in the right direction. And for now that's good enough for me.

But dagnammit, you should vote for your "tea party" candidate because they "promise" to cut spending. Screw that shit.

Immie

Who should we vote for, Harry Reid, Nazi Pelosi and Bawney Fwank?

Neither of them would be on my list.

I've got no solution, but don't tell me that the Tea Party is any different than Democrats or Republicans. And for God's sake, don't tell me that the Tea Party is here to save the day! If they are we're already screwed.

Personally, I think if someone wants the job, they should be automatically disqualified from holding office.

Immie

"Up to 40Billion in cuts."

Not nearly enough.

Fuck them all. It is time to clean house.

If it is incumbent, it has to go.

If it is DNC, or GOP, it better be fucking awesome to even get my attention.

They didn't get the message, so we need to send it again in 2012, even louder this time.

Don't vote "FOR" anyone. Vote "AGAINST" them all. It simply can't be any worse.

There was no message sent. You can't vote against the Republicans, if you're voting for somebody with a R next to their name-tea party affiliated or not. I for one don't understand why people don't get this.

Not saying you, but many ultra-conservatives on this website love to blast Obama for not bringing change to Washington like he said he would (and I agree with that). Yet are surprised when the Republicans don't either. It's a two party system, and anybody who doesn't have a R or D next to their name isn't invited. The only way to get one is to please the party enough for them to allow you to have it. Sad but true.

The tea party wont change a thing, especially if they continue to exist as a section of the GOP.

Here's all you need to remember. The asshole in chief was willing to punish the troops to score cheap political points. End of story.

do the 'tea partiers' feel retarded yet? they voted in neocon corporate scum and expected them to reign in a smaller government LOL

Don't worry were taking notes, and names. Any Republican not serious about cutting the Deficit is going to find it very hard to be re-elected. If that helps the Dems then so be it. Tea Party supporters, which I think I am becoming, Care about the Issues, more than helping Republicans win.

I say hats off to them. Fuck the Republicans, Fuck the Dems even more. At this point I would vote for a rock if I thought they would cut the Deficit, and reign in the fed.

I was all with the tea party until it got taken over by social conservatives and the usual corporate-backed scum. at that point it just become a slightly more to the right version of the GOP.

I could do with out the Social Conservatives myself as well. To me it does not even make since that they latched on to it. The Tea party was suppose to be about Limiting government, and cutting spending, Keeping to constitutional Principles. It is beyond me why the Social conservatives thought that would be a good home for them.

The tea party wont change a thing, especially if they continue to exist as a section of the GOP. James in Florida)

James, those who are knowledgeable about the tea party know that it doesn't have any political affiliation. Dem's are fond of giving the T-Party a conservative label. This is done because the T-Party is opposed to most liberal ideology. I've been to many T-Party events. I've found democrats, republicans, and independents present. The Tea Party only has a few goals; restore fiscal responsibility, along with honor, and integrity to Washington. The liberal party is fighting us tooth and nail to keep things as they are. They are amazed at the success that we've had. To date Libs haven't figured out the fact that we aren't pushing a political agenda. We are pushing reform. We don't care what side of the political aisle that a reformist is sitting on. We will vote for them.

The deal that was just struck in Washington is not an exceptional deal. But it did get close to 40 billion dollars in cuts. The libs wanted zero dollars in cuts. This deal was struck in part because of pressure brought to bear over none payment of salaries to the troops. That stumbling block is being removed. Congress, is making a bipartisan push to pass a bill guaranteeing military pay in the event of future shut downs. House Passes Military Spending Bill as Shutdown Looms - Dacula, GA Patch

The real debate will come with the budget bill for 2012. Senator Rand Paul, is calling for 500 billion dollars in budget cuts in one year. "Paul said the proposal would roll back federal spending to 2008 levels and eliminate what he considers the most wasteful programs.'' A detailed look at the Rand Paul spending bill | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

The tea party wont change a thing, especially if they continue to exist as a section of the GOP. James in Florida)

James, those who are knowledgeable about the tea party know that it doesn't have any political affiliation. Dem's are fond of giving the T-Party a conservative label. This is done because the T-Party is opposed to most liberal ideology. I've been to many T-Party events. I've found democrats, republicans, and independents present. The Tea Party only has a few goals; restore fiscal responsibility, along with honor, and integrity to Washington. The liberal party is fighting us tooth and nail to keep things as they are. They are amazed at the success that we've had. To date Libs haven't figured out the fact that we aren't pushing a political agenda. We are pushing reform. We don't care what side of the political aisle that a reformist is sitting on. We will vote for them.

The deal that was just struck in Washington is not an exceptional deal. But it did get close to 40 billion dollars in cuts. The libs wanted zero dollars in cuts. This deal was struck in part because of pressure brought to bear over none payment of salaries to the troops. That stumbling block is being removed. Congress, is making a bipartisan push to pass a bill guaranteeing military pay in the event of future shut downs. House Passes Military Spending Bill as Shutdown Looms - Dacula, GA Patch

The real debate will come with the budget bill for 2012. Senator Rand Paul, is calling for 500 billion dollars in budget cuts in one year. "Paul said the proposal would roll back federal spending to 2008 levels and eliminate what he considers the most wasteful programs.'' A detailed look at the Rand Paul spending bill | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

While this is probably true, to my knowledge (and I could be wrong), every tea party member who ran in 2010 ran as republican. Every tea party member in congress, or in office also falls under the Republican tent. I agree we need to reduce the budget-and that 40billionish isn't acceptable enough. I also am unaware of any tea party candidate, or public figure who's not conservative. I'm sure that many tea party members-the average American isn't strictly Republican, but those in office seem like they are, at least in my opinion

Last edited:
Folks, be happy. The Tea Party tried very hard to strangle itself in its cradle this week but, fortunately for it, there was an adult in the room that wouldn't let it. Live to throw a tantrum another day.

"Adult" must be a euphemism meaning "spineless."

Forum List

Back