DavidS Weightloss Problem

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
So, I just put a brand new lithium ion battery in my scale. Goddamnit. 6'2 and 300 lbs. I've got to do something about this. Something drastic. Any ideas? :tomato:

Just don't eat as much. Sounds like a lame suggestion, but unless you have absolutely horrible metabolism, it works fine. Do that and exercise a lot... it hurts, and you'll hate it, and it'll take forever, but it's worth it.

You need to get involved in some sort of workout to boost your metabolism. Go to bed early, so you don't stay up eating Yankee Doodles and Ho Ho's . Right away, swim season is coming...

step away from the keyboard and go work out

Work out what? It's raining outside.

So? You going to melt?

Simple math: To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. A simple but VERY effective adjustment is to limit your intake of fat and sugars, including sodas. Drink water.

Limit or do away with processed, junk and/or fast foods. If you're a beef guy, limit your intake of red meat to once or twice a week. Replace it with chicken or fish.

Don't fry your food. Broil or grill your meat.

To lose weight, you should be getting all your energy from complex carbohydrates -- stuff like oatmeal, potatoes, rice. You should take in just enough protein to maintain your muscular strength. Limit your intake of fats and sugars as much as possible.

Don't do anything drastic. For one, it is temporary and the rebound effect usually leaves you in worse condition than when you started. Starvation diets don't really work anyway. You will lose weight, yes, but you lose as much muscle as you do fat. Once your body decides it's not being fed, it will protect the fat and burn your muscles up instead.

Don't make excuses. "It's raining" is an excuse. You can run in the rain. You can buy a jump rope and move the furniture long enough to work out. Running and swimming are the two most effective ways to lose weight and get into good cardiovascular shape, IMO.

Whatever you do, it starts with getting off your ass and taking action. Plan on taking the long road and set intermediate goals you can achieve. Don't start out trying to immediately reach your ultimate goal or you will become discouraged and most likely quit.

I'm not the only gym rat on this forum. Ask questions. If you are seriously looking for help and wish to discuss the issue in a serious manner, I can keep the peanut gallery out of it.

step away from the keyboard and go work out

Work out what? It's raining outside.

drop and give me 20

or

gortex is your friend or go the gym, they have this cool new thing called roofs, yeah, you should try it, usually keeps out the rain. i've had some of my best hikes/runs in the rain...feels exhilarating and refreshing, the cool clean feeling of rain...try it. :cool:

gym.jpg

I don't eat junk food anymore.
I don't eat many fruits and vegetables.
I do eat a lot of complex carbs and breads.
I do not get nearly enough sleep.
I do eat at odd hours a lot of the time.
I get moderate exercise. I walk a lot. Sometimes a brisk walk. Though as cold as the past 6 months have been, I have not walked nearly enough.
I rarely eat fried foods. Maybe once or twice a month, if that. I don't eat fast food. EVER.
I do eat A LOT of chicken and not nearly as much fish, but the fish part is changing thanks to Jillian.

Part of the weight gain was from last Autumn. I was having horrible, horrible digestive issues and one of the ways I was dealing with my heartburn was eating ice cream.
I sometimes ate 3 full pints of ice cream in one week because my heartburn would be so bad every night. No antacid would even make a dent in the heartburn. I haven't done that in a while, though.

So, I just put a brand new lithium ion battery in my scale. Goddamnit. 6'2 and 300 lbs. I've got to do something about this. Something drastic. Any ideas? :tomato:

Yeah -- put the dead batteries back into your scale and stop beating yourself up.

Then get a little more exercise (take a daily walk or something) and lay off the second helpings.

I get moderate exercise. I walk a lot. Sometimes a brisk walk. Though as cold as the past 6 months have been, I have not walked nearly enough.
I rarely eat fried foods. Maybe once or twice a month, if that. I don't eat fast food. EVER.
I do eat A LOT of chicken and not nearly as much fish, but the fish part is changing thanks to Jillian.

Part of the weight gain was from last Autumn. I was having horrible, horrible digestive issues and one of the ways I was dealing with my heartburn was eating ice cream.
I sometimes ate 3 full pints of ice cream in one week because my heartburn would be so bad every night. No antacid would even make a dent in the heartburn. I haven't done that in a while, though.

Has the digestive/hearburn problem been resolved?

I don't know what you're into as far as workouts, but kickboxing really burns a lot of calories. If I could take a class again, that would be the one to take. I would highly recommend signing up some place because you might need the support.

Weigh yourself every day. Just make it into a habit so that you are serious with yourself. I know you want to lose weight for aesthetics, but it's not healthy to be 300 lbs even at 6'2". You might start to develop high blood pressure and even diabetes, so take this seriously.

I wouldn't say don't eat this or don't eat that. Just cut everything down. I eat junk, but I don't over do it. I look at the calories before I put anything in my mouth. I never eat in the middle of the night. If you've gotten into the habit of doing that, get out of it tonight. If you also develop good sleeping habits, you won't have problems getting up at night and eating at odd hours.

If you don't listen to me, I'm going to come over to your house and become your Jillian Michaels so you best listen to me. :eusa_angel:

You need to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. A lack thereof could be part of your digestive trouble.

The thing about complex carbs is they are a double-edged sword. If you take in more than you burn off, they metabolize into fat. You definitely need to get a handle on your complex carbs/fat/sugar intake. That alone will reduce bodyfat.

You tried zantac or pepcid for the heartburn?

Walking is overrated, IMO. Don't get me wrong ... if that's what you can do, it's better than nothing. Running is much better and takes less time. It's just more painful.

I hear you in regard to the cold; however, when I was stationed in DC, if it was above zero, we ran. Just have to buy the right stuff to do it. I got cabin fever one time so bad -- we had 17" of snow -- I went out and ran in the shit anyway. Anything to get away from that apartment for awhile. :lol:

You can also join a fitness club or gym that has treadmills, stationary bikes, and or versa-climbers or something like them.

As crudely as is was put, you should check with your doctor before starting anything. Especially in light of your past medical problem.

Essentially it boils down to proper exercise and proper diet. There's no magic pill and anyone that says so is selling something.

are you in your mid 30s? i recently developed the same or similar condition and no antacid would would so i went to the doctor and was told i have acid reflux....so i now take prilosec, some days i can cut the pill in half and it does the job. over the counter and at costco, though, like the box says, see a doctor if it is continious...you might have acid reflux and that is nothing to ignore it can and will eat away at your esophogous lining (sp?) and cause other problems.

to be honest, i found eating less and not late at night really helps. IMO, i found that ice cream actually did not help me at all, i did the same exact thing you are doing, anything creamy at night....my guess is it is worst at night. all that sugar from the ice cream actually makes it worse. do a google search on it, i have used many of the natural methods and they work, i want to stop taking that pill soon. and please keep me posted, here or in pm, as i am curious what works for you.

just read gunny's post....absolutely spot on...in fact most of his ideas are the natural remedies i have implemented that work. i found my doctor so-so helpful and i don't like paying my co-pay so i spent time on the internet and have definitely found things that work for me. some trial and error as i expect will be the same with you.

are you in your mid 30s? i recently developed the same or similar condition and no antacid would would so i went to the doctor and was told i have acid reflux....so i now take prilosec, some days i can cut the pill in half and it does the job. over the counter and at costco, though, like the box says, see a doctor if it is continious...you might have acid reflux and that is nothing to ignore it can and will eat away at your esophogous lining (sp?) and cause other problems.

to be honest, i found eating less and not late at night really helps. IMO, i found that ice cream actually did not help me at all, i did the same exact thing you are doing, anything creamy at night....my guess is it is worst at night. all that sugar from the ice cream actually makes it worse. do a google search on it, i have used many of the natural methods and they work, i want to stop taking that pill soon. and please keep me posted, here or in pm, as i am curious what works for you.

I had acid reflux from taking ibuprofen. Why I asked if he had tried Zantac or Pepcid. Prilosec is another. Pepcid is what works for me.

Exactly right on the ice cream. Milk used to be prescribed for stomach ulcers too. I think that's where I heard they discovered it actually made them worse.

Forum List

Back