DavidS Weightloss Problem

alright get ready to hate me...

i have never had heartburn...i have no concept of what yall are talking about...i do know it can be hard on a person....

sounds like diet changes are needed more than pills...ever consider that

Nope... diet doesn't matter. Its the flap on the top of your stomach. I have had to sleep at an incline at times. Acid reflux is real and if you do not control it you can get throat cancer and die. Don't waste your time or the lining of your throaq on diet experiments.
Control the acid medically and sleep with your head up. But hold the phone ...wasn't this thread about about the weight and the self loathing?

I'm not an X-head. I did it a few times in the 90's, loved the high, hated the comedown.

Just curious...what was the high like and why did you like it? And what was the crash like?

It gets your pleasure sensors in your brain firing on all cylinders. It heightens your senses, in particular touch. Taking a deep breath is an enormously pleasurable experience. Having sex while on it is really unexplainable. You have an all around feeling of "goodness" and feel confident to express deep feelings you have about people to them. You feel at one with those around you. It get's nicknames "rolling" because your eyes tend to float around. Your vision is blurred when you relax your eyes and things tend to move in slow motion ... you see a "trail" effect. Ever see a movie do a quick interlude when the view is from the inside of a car driving into a city and it speed it up and the lights form a streak? That's what your vision can be like. However, you can have sudden moments of clarity in your vision where your eyes open real wide and you take in everything before settling back down into the roll. If you see someone on it in a corner it looks like they are a puddle but don't be fooled by that. They have energy up the wazoo going on. At any moment they could get up and dance their asses off for a couple of hours straight.

The comedown sucks. While you are high you tend to grind the hell out of your teeth or tear apart the inside of your mouth. This is why you will see a lot of people on X have some sort of oral fixation to help alleviate the damage. Your brain feels like "mush" is the best way to describe it. And you can't sleep. You can either tough it out until you finally pass out or drown yourself in alcohol to help speed up the process.

i have never had heartburn...i have no concept of what yall are talking about...i do know it can be hard on a person....

Nope... diet doesn't matter. Its the flap on the top of your stomach. I have had to sleep at an incline at times. Acid reflux is real and if you do not control it you can get throat cancer and die. Don't waste your time or the lining of your throaq on diet experiments.
Control the acid medically and sleep with your head up. But hold the phone ...wasn't this thread about about the weight and the self loathing?

He said he had gained weight after trying to relieve his heartburn by eating ice cream.

The X discussion is kind of off topic though.

I'm not an X-head. I did it a few times in the 90's, loved the high, hated the comedown.

Just curious...what was the high like and why did you like it? And what was the crash like?

It gets your pleasure sensors in your brain firing on all cylinders. It heightens your senses, in particular touch. Taking a deep breath is an enormously pleasurable experience. Having sex while on it is really unexplainable. You have an all around feeling of "goodness" and feel confident to express deep feelings you have about people to them. You feel at one with those around you. It get's nicknames "rolling" because your eyes tend to float around. Your vision is blurred when you relax your eyes and things tend to move in slow motion ... you see a "trail" effect. Ever see a movie do a quick interlude when the view is from the inside of a car driving into a city and it speed it up and the lights form a streak? That's what your vision can be like. However, you can have sudden moments of clarity in your vision where your eyes open real wide and you take in everything before settling back down into the roll. If you see someone on it in a corner it looks like they are a puddle but don't be fooled by that. They have energy up the wazoo going on. At any moment they could get up and dance their asses off for a couple of hours straight.

The comedown sucks. While you are high you tend to grind the hell out of your teeth or tear apart the inside of your mouth. This is why you will see a lot of people on X have some sort of oral fixation to help alleviate the damage. Your brain feels like "mush" is the best way to describe it. And you can't sleep. You can either tough it out until you finally pass out or drown yourself in alcohol to help speed up the process.

Take your damn drug deal down the street punks.

The whole thing sounds horrible to me. I like feeling good, but that sounds TOO good.

I'm glad you've moved away from that.

Somewhat correct. I can indeed be from improper diet. Avoiding things you KNOW will cause heartburn generally helps.

However, acid reflux is not "heartburn". Acid reflux, as I mentioned before, is when the valve in your digestive tract quits working, allowing digestive acids/enzymes to flow back up to your throat. The valve is a muscles. I don't all the ways it can be affected or just stop working, but I do know using NSAIDs and developing acid reflux is not uncommon because it relaxes the muscle.

If that valve isn't working, diet is secondary to that. No matter what you eat, the stomach produces digestive enzymes and those enzymes getting into your esophagus is like putting brake fluid on your car paint.

David, David David.

Stop turning to antiacids and other patent medicines. Those people peddle poison. They know that taking antiacids actually CAUSES heartburn because you body responds to that by producing MORE acid.

Try drinking some vinegar.

No, I am NOT kidding.

Incidently? The same counterintuitive solution can be allply to acne vulgarus.

the patent medinces you put on your faces because you THINK you're getting acne from OIL are guaranteed to make your acne worse.

Why?

Because the surface of your skin is TOOO DRY hence you body respons by putting more oil into your pores.

And since the surface is too dry, that oiul gets trapped in the pores.

Try washing your face with Dove soap for a couple months.

Yeah, that's right your skin is PROBABLY too dry which is why you are getting acne.

Never EVER EVER trust patent medicine.

Usually it aggrevates the problem and if you think about it, you realize that is NOT an accident.

I sort of agree ... kinda'. We as a society rely too much on pills to cure our ills. Some have merit, some don't. I am prone to seeking a natural remedy first. I've never tried the vinegar one because that's one I have never heard. White or red vinegar?

However, if I have a bacterial infection, I'm taking the antibiotics. :lol:

It's not the vnegar it's the acid that works.

I don't think the kind of acid is important.

Tums and the like actually exacerbates the problem.

That's why people become addicted (no I am NOT kidding!) to antiacids. I once knew a woman addicted to bromo-seltzer for example. She did, lord I don't know how many!, boxes of the stuff every day.

Remember that alkaloids are addictive, generally.

Every now and then, I get acid reflux. The only thing that seems to help is drinking Coke. It helps me burp a lot and seems to reduce the acid.

David, I think Gunny has given some pretty good advice. You do need to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. You also need to control your carb intake. Don't go without carbs, but reduce them significantly. Cut out all snacks, and only eat three meals per day. When you eat those meals, only eat to the point that you no longer feel hungry. That doesn't mean eat until you are full, just eat until the hunger pains are gone.

For some, eating is like smoking; it's compulsive. If, and I do say if, this is part of the problem, you need to control when you eat. If you do need a snack between meals, make it some type of fruit, just to take the edge off. Last of all, you need some type of exercise. I would consider investing in a tread mill. Be careful though. Walking/running, even on a tread mill, will put a lot of pressure on your knees with your added weight. Try to reduce your weight gradually by changing your eating habits. As the weight comes down, running won't put as much stress on your knees and hips.

Try to lose one pound per week, something that is attainable. It will take you two years to drop 100 pounds that way, but if you are successful, you will have accomplished your goal by changing your habits which will help keep the weight off for the long run.

you could go on a doctor monitored liquid diet......600 cals a day...that's it......you will loose the weight....

Drinking a minimum 120 ounces of water daily is indeed on way to drop some fat and inches. You have to be careful though because you CAN drown yourself that way.

That is true...some people don't realize that.

Did you hear of the case where a girl died of water intoxication after she drank a ton of water for a radio station contest?

Luckily, it is difficult to drink lethal doses of water unless you are consciously overriding your thirst mechanism that tells you to stop drinking.
you left out part of the story, they also told her she couldnt go to the bathroom either
so there was no place for that water to go
why she followed those instructions is beyond me

actually, at 300 lbs, he is beyond what diet and exercize alone will work
at 300 lbs exercize is nearly impossible and the stress on the heart might be too much
now, i'm not saying not to exercize, but to limit it while also controling your diet better
eating ice cream to deal with heartburn is foolish
i think David needs to seek out help from a Dr
first to have a sleep study done to see if he has sleep apnea
then to explore either gastric bypass or lapband surgery

at 300 lbs exercize is nearly impossible and the stress on the heart might be too much
now, i'm not saying not to exercize, but to limit it while also controling your diet better

Interesting. I don't agree. First, for a 6'2", I don't think 300 pounds is too much that diet and exercise cannot reduce it without going to the extreme of surgery. It isn't the actual weight that is important. It's the composition of the weight.

The beautiful thing about the body is I don't think it would allow him to go out and kill himself running a marathon at his height and weight. Of course he has to start out slow and move up. If you were and absolute gym rat and laid off for 6 months I'd advise the same thing.

Most people who don't run can't get more than a half mile first try anyway. If they don't swim, they won't get even 1 lap (in an Olympic pool) without stopping.

I DO agree he should see a doctor.

He's still young, too. No reason that he can't turn it around and more quickly than he may think.

Interesting. I don't agree. First, for a 6'2", I don't think 300 pounds is too much that diet and exercise cannot reduce it without going to the extreme of surgery. It isn't the actual weight that is important. It's the composition of the weight.

The beautiful thing about the body is I don't think it would allow him to go out and kill himself running a marathon at his height and weight. Of course he has to start out slow and move up. If you were and absolute gym rat and laid off for 6 months I'd advise the same thing.

Most people who don't run can't get more than a half mile first try anyway. If they don't swim, they won't get even 1 lap (in an Olympic pool) without stopping.

but he could have other problems as well
he spoke of how he wasnt sleeping
that could mean he has sleep apnea
that can make a lot of other problems much worse
he needs to take the first step by seeing a Doctor

Drinking a minimum 120 ounces of water daily is indeed on way to drop some fat and inches. You have to be careful though because you CAN drown yourself that way.

That is true...some people don't realize that.

Did you hear of the case where a girl died of water intoxication after she drank a ton of water for a radio station contest?

Luckily, it is difficult to drink lethal doses of water unless you are consciously overriding your thirst mechanism that tells you to stop drinking.
you left out part of the story, they also told her she couldnt go to the bathroom either
so there was no place for that water to go
why she followed those instructions is beyond me

Actually, the not being able to urinate part would not result in death...just discomfort from a distended bladder and possibly backing up of urine towards the kidneys. Only long term, chronic urinary tract obstruction would lead to kidney failure.

The death occurred from excessive fluid molecules in the blood, disruption of the osmotic balance, and water entering the brain tissue, causing edema and swelling.

The holding of the pee was just to annoy her.

I agree, Gunny. Very heavy people can exercise without automatically leading to a heart attack. But, like you said, he has to go slowly.

Probably the worse outcome from advancing exercise too quickly in a heavy person is likely orthopedic problems, such as ligamentous or meniscal tears in the knees.

Other drugs, ecstasy, heroin, cocaine, LSD...they can kill you with your first dose.

Uh...LSD? LSD has effectively no toxicity; how can it "kill you with your first dose"?

As to this thread, my suggestion would also be to incorporate a dietary supplement (or to stack several supplements), in conjunction with any workout routine, perhaps beginning a few weeks after starting. They can be found at GNC or Vitamin World. They're of little use by themselves, of course.

but he could have other problems as well
he spoke of how he wasnt sleeping
that could mean he has sleep apnea
that can make a lot of other problems much worse
he needs to take the first step by seeing a Doctor

I agreed with that. I'm not going to try and diagnose his ailments for him over the internet and I am certainly not a doctor.

He asked about weightloss and that is what I addressed. I'm pretty well-read on nutrition and exercise, and a LOT of physical therapy for sports injuries over the years. I was just sharing that knowledge.

I agree, Gunny. Very heavy people can exercise without automatically leading to a heart attack. But, like you said, he has to go slowly.

Probably the worse outcome from advancing exercise too quickly in a heavy person is likely orthopedic problems, such as ligamentous or meniscal tears in the knees.

That's what I was thinking. Knees, ankles and feet.

Forum List

Back