Dan Rather: 'Articulate' Obama Couldn't even 'Sell Watermelons'.

Can you imagine if a Rush, Hannity, Beck, etc., said that??? They would be labeled as racists, asked to apologize and resign their jobs.

They've said worse!

You mean 'Fried Chicken'?

Not quite.

“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

or

To an African American female caller]: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

Barack the Magic Negro’

I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

Get my point?

Dan let his guard down. Democrats are the biggest racists out there. And they are going to turn on Obama in a big way. A lot of them privately believe that Obama is failing because they think a black man cannot handle the job. This is something I never heard from Conservatives (because they don't believe it) but I am starting to hear it from some Dems.

Before you comment, you might want to watch the tape. He was talking about what people like you would argue during the election........and you probably will!!

Sooooo...you're saying that Dan was saying what HE thought republicans MIGHT say. And what do you think he based his assumptions on?

SPIN SPIN SPIN.....nice try

Maybe, past racist behavior from the GOP??? Just guessing here. (BTW, if you'd watched the video, you wouldn't have asked that.)

Before you comment, you might want to watch the tape. He was talking about what people like you would argue during the election........and you probably will!!

Sooooo...you're saying that Dan was saying what HE thought republicans MIGHT say. And what do you think he based his assumptions on?

Maybe, past racist behavior from the GOP??? Just guessing here. (BTW, if you'd watched the video, you wouldn't have asked that.)

So we're going to ignore Chris Mathews line about forgetting Barack was black for an hour during the SOTU?

We're going to pretend that the mainstream media DIDN'T focus on his race?

Com'on!

Regardless of whether or not he was saying it from a republican POV, you simply don't use racial remarks like that. If he was pretending that republicans are racist, then he definitely labels himself a spiteful liberal which really discredits the objectiveness of his reporting.

Obama is learning. One thing he learned this year is that Republicans will ALWAYS put politics above the good of the nation - ALWAYS. It's taken him a long time to learn this because he thought that with the right bills and in a crisis, Republicans would work with Democrats for the good of the nation. Now he knows. Let's move on.

Btw,i read the actual transcript and he was not stating what he felt Republicans thought about this President. He was stating his own ridiculous and pathetic opinion of this President. Dan Blather spoke for himself and definitely not Republicans. I don't care how Liberals try and spin it. What a joke.

Then either the transcript was incomplete, or you can't read.

Obama is learning. One thing he learned this year is that Republicans will ALWAYS put politics above the good of the nation - ALWAYS. It's taken him a long time to learn this because he thought that with the right bills and in a crisis, Republicans would work with Democrats for the good of the nation. Now he knows. Let's move on.

Actually he found that Democrats ALWAYS put politics above the good of the nation, since he had SUPER MAJORITY for a year and the Democrats still kept him from getting his beloved health care bill passed.

Oh yeah, we're just supposed to forget about that.

Rick

So we're going to ignore Chris Mathews line about forgetting Barack was black for an hour during the SOTU?

We're going to pretend that the mainstream media DIDN'T focus on his race?

Com'on!

Matthews is on the other thread. This one's about Rather opining on his thinking of possible GOP campaign talking points this fall.

Wonderful. What should he do with this newfound knowledge? Ignore the GOP and get the Dems to pass his agenda?
Oops, that's just what he's spent the past year doing. And how's it working out for him?

Anyway, to the OP, can we focus on what Rather was saying? I dont care whether it was racist, whether it was making fun of racists, or whatever.
I think his point is that Obama came in with a reputation for being a good speaker and persuasive and has failed to follow through on that promise. That failure will become an issue in upcoming elections and will be mentioned repeatedly by Republicans.

Dan Rather attempting to explain a conservatives point of view on a Chris Matthews show? Chris going to use sock puppets next? With his ratings, it is about all he can afford.

I hope this proves to everyone that Rather is out of his mind and has been for awhile now.

They've said worse!

You mean 'Fried Chicken'?

Not quite.

or

I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

Get my point?

A Snopes reader!

snopes.com: Rush Limbaugh 'Racist Quotes' List

I haven't liked Dan Rather since he was fired for forging documents concerning George Bush's military service. That was stupid and unnecessary.

And now this. If he doesn't like what Obama has done about healthcare he should just state his opinion and why he feels that way. But what he said is totally inappropriate. What a dipstick he is.

In an argument about the 2012 election, Rather was describing what he thinks “Republicans” will say – and what “a lot of independents will buy.” So he’s speaking as Obama’s critics:

The Republicans will make a case and a lot of independents will buy this argument. “Listen he just hasn’t been, look at the health care bill. It was his number one priority. It took him forever to get it through and he had to compromise it to death.” And a version of, “Listen he’s a nice person, he’s very articulate,” this is what’s been used against him, “but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic.”

Newsbusters describes it as “one mine after another in the racial minefield,” which certainly appears to be the case, even if Rather isn’t making the argument directly. Still, substituting another fruit for the one he choose would have made this a non-story.

Dan Rather Uses “Obama,” “Articulate” And “Watermelons” In Same Anecdote | Mediaite

Dan let his guard down. Democrats are the biggest racists out there. And they are going to turn on Obama in a big way. A lot of them privately believe that Obama is failing because they think a black man cannot handle the job. This is something I never heard from Conservatives (because they don't believe it) but I am starting to hear it from some Dems.

No, Dan specifically said that is what he thought Republicans would say in the upcoming elections.

Then we had a Republican say he was right.

Good grief. What the hell is the matter with people? I totally agree with the sentiment but that is just downright offensive.

Jesus fucking christ you couldn't be more of a hypocrit. You said in a thread today that you don't take stories at face value but do all of this studying to then inform your opinion, yet, you took this OP at face value b/c it made a typical left-leaning guy look bad when no.............in reality, if you did your research, you'd find this wasn't his sentiment at all. He was portraying what someone on the RIGHT MIGHT SAY. Hi. Try honesty.

Why would Dan Rather predict what anybody would say?? I don't understand what it is he was hoping to accomplish.

Forum List

Back