Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
There really aren't any words for this. How was she able to even enter the apartment if it wasn't hers?

Dallas police said the officer called for help and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

by Erik Ortiz and Jareen Imam / Sep.07.2018 / 4:21 AM ET / Updated 7:42 AM ET

A Dallas man was killed late Thursday when a police officer returning home from her shift entered the wrong apartment in her building and eventually opened fire, authorities said.

Details surrounding the death of Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, were not immediately available early Friday.

His mother, Allie Jean, said in a phone interview that his family was stunned to learn of his death.

"He did no one any wrong," she said.

Dallas police in a statement said that preliminary information suggests the officer involved called for help, and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

The incident began just before 10 p.m. CT (11 p.m. ET) at the South Side Flats, an upscale apartment complex directly south of Dallas' downtown.

During the encounter, the officer was in full uniform and "fired her weapon striking the victim," police said.

Jean was taken to the hospital and died. The Dallas County Medical Examiner later released his identity.

i'm thinking that the door was unlocked and she walked up , turned the knob , walked in and there he was , all ready to be shot Dead ,

Best (or worse) case scenario. She is trying to open the door. He hears her and opens it to see who is trying to get into his house. From there it gets foggy. She pulls a gun and shoots him?

I was visiting a friend one day and she lived in an apartment complex. It was fairly good size as well.
I have been there 100 times but one night (completely sober LOL) i walk into the wrong apartment. Door was unlocked and i even walked away to the back bedroom before i realized.
Shit happens but these circumstances are HORRIBLE

I was visiting a friend one day and she lived in an apartment complex. It was fairly good size as well.
I have been there 100 times but one night (completely sober LOL) i walk into the wrong apartment. Door was unlocked and i even walked away to the back bedroom before i realized.
You didnt notice the furniture was different? Big difference between a bachelor pad and a bachelorette pad.

You didnt notice the furniture was different? Big difference between a bachelor pad and a bachelorette pad.
Maybe he was queer
Maybe both just moved in and didnt have any furniture
Maybe both people bought a furniture set on clearance
Who knows? Definitely none of us.

There really aren't any words for this. How was she able to even enter the apartment if it wasn't hers?

Dallas police said the officer called for help and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

A Dallas man was killed late Thursday when a police officer returning home from her shift entered the wrong apartment in her building and eventually opened fire, authorities said.

Details surrounding the death of Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, were not immediately available early Friday.

His mother, Allie Jean, said in a phone interview that his family was stunned to learn of his death.

Dallas police in a statement said that preliminary information suggests the officer involved called for help, and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

The incident began just before 10 p.m. CT (11 p.m. ET) at the South Side Flats, an upscale apartment complex directly south of Dallas' downtown.

During the encounter, the officer was in full uniform and "fired her weapon striking the victim," police said.

Jean was taken to the hospital and died. The Dallas County Medical Examiner later released his identity.
Cops are stupid and violent.

The cop will be suspended with pay while other cops investigate.

This is just fucking tragic.

You know what's worrying in addition to the tragic death of this young man in his own home is the mental state of the officer who shot him. I understand being tired at the end of your shift, I understand having to work while ill, but to be this disoriented to attempt to enter a home that you erroneously believe is your own and then to kill the occupant because you believe he is an intruder is just something I can't even think of how you would train for.

i'm thinking that the door was unlocked and she walked up , turned the knob , walked in and there he was , all ready to be shot Dead ,
There has to be more to this story then what has been reported.
Well they're keeping her name out of the media, I don't know for how long. Maybe I'll see if I can find a different article.

You know what's worrying in addition to the tragic death of this young man in his own home is the mental state of the officer who shot him. I understand being tired at the end of your shift, I understand having to work while ill, but to be this disoriented to attempt to enter a home that you erroneously believe is your own and then to kill the occupant because you believe he is an intruder is just something I can't even think of how you would train for.

That's my take too. If a woman came home and found an intruder inside, shooting him is not unreasonable. So from her persective, I can see why she acted as she did in the moment with the information she thought she had.

On the other hand, this dude was just hanging out in his apartment and is shot by a uniformed cop for existing there. Which is just fucking tragic.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for both the officer and the victim's family.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back