Grand jury hears evidence in Dallas police officer shooting of black neighbor

Negligent homicide fer shure. Is that an offence in the US?
It may not be negligent. He may have attacked her for all we know, and she felt she had to defend herself. Let the court decide.

You can't break into someones apartment then claim self defense if you are attacked. If you have no legal right to be there you can't use that as a defense to use deadly force.
she didn't break in, did she?
you can't just attack someone that walks into your apartment
you CAN claim self defense if the circumstances warrants it

Yes, you absolutely can attack someone who "just walks in" to your apartment. That's called home invasion. And unless she had a key, she broke in. She didn't have to kick down the door for it to be burglarly. Just like you don't have to break a window to break into a car. If you pull the door handle and it opens, that's a felony.

May I Shoot an Intruder? - FindLaw

You don't have to ask them their intentions. They walk in you can shoot them dead. No questions asked. Whether or not your front door was open or not makes no difference. It's called the castle doctrine, look it up.
no ---you can't just attack someone for walking in
depends on the circumstances also

AND not ALL states
(use of deadly force is considered a last resort);
etc etc etc
States That Have Stand Your Ground Laws - FindLaw
Castle Doctrine vs. Duty To Retreat: Understanding Self-Defense Law - Alien Gear Holsters Blog

I'm not holding out much hope.

Grand jury hears evidence in Dallas police officer shooting of black neighbor

Nov. 26, 2018 / 10:58 AM PST
By Associated Press

DALLAS — A grand jury has started hearing evidence in the case of a former Dallas police officer who fatally shot her unarmed black neighbor in his own apartment after she said she mistook it for hers.

180926-amber-guyger-ew-101p_a711830963a589b5fe6f903e487442b0.fit-760w.jpg

Amber Guyger in booking photo from Sept. 10, 2018.Kaufman County Jail / via AFP - Getty Images
Daryl Washington, an attorney for the family of the slain man, said the grand jury began hearing the case Monday. Amber Guyger was arrested on a manslaughter charge after the Sept. 6 shooting of Botham Jean, a 26-year-old native of St. Lucia.

Guyger, who is white, was later fired from the Dallas Police Department .

The grand jury will hear evidence and decide whether to indict Guyger. It could also decide on a more serious charge.

Jean's family has filed a lawsuit against Guyger and the city of Dallas in the shooting.​

Americas gun laws should be on trial alongside this girl.

What does this have to do with gun laws? She was obviously an idiot. She was a trained officer, who shot someone in their own apartment thinking it was hers? I don’t know the details of the case, or if she was drunk. She deserves jail. This is horrible, and I feel for the victim and family deeply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be negligent. He may have attacked her for all we know, and she felt she had to defend herself. Let the court decide.

She was not invited and she invaded his home. That's breaking in.

You can't break into someones apartment then claim self defense if you are attacked. If you have no legal right to be there you can't use that as a defense to use deadly force.

Yes, you absolutely can attack someone who "just walks in" to your apartment. That's called home invasion. And unless she had a key, she broke in. She didn't have to kick down the door for it to be burglarly. Just like you don't have to break a window to break into a car. If you pull the door handle and it opens, that's a felony.

You don't have to ask them their intentions. They walk in you can shoot them dead. No questions asked. Whether or not your front door was open or not makes no difference. It's called the castle doctrine, look it up.
and wasn't the door open?

.....this would be a classic case of why you can't attack someone for walking in an apartment --door open and apartments that look the same
..you would kill/attack an innocent person just for walking in??!!!!???

The castle doctrine doesn't even apply in this case because SHE WASN'T IN HER CASTLE. She didn't get shot, she shot the legal homeowner (renter in this case.)

I'm saying that if someone breaks into your home you can shoot them. Notice: The status of the locks on your door does not change the definition of breaking into your home. If you are not invited you should not be there and are there at your own risk. The law will not protect you.

Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia

275px-Stand-your-ground_law_by_US_jurisdiction.svg.png

There is only one state in this nation where you can't shoot a home invader.

Sure you can. Depending upon the circumstances their mere presence may be a threat.

The castle doctrine doesn't even apply in this case because SHE WASN'T IN HER CASTLE. She didn't get shot, she shot the legal homeowner (renter in this case.)

I'm saying that if someone breaks into your home you can shoot them.

Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia

275px-Stand-your-ground_law_by_US_jurisdiction.svg.png

There is only one state in this nation where you can't shoot a home invader.
Yes, you absolutely can attack someone who "just walks in" to your apartment.
make up your mind
1st it's ''breaks in''
then in the above quote it's'' walking in''
now it's back to ''breaking in''

Please see post 45.

Walking into a home without permission is breaking in. It's not difficult.

And in Texas they have a very strong stand your ground law. That dude would have had the right to shoot that cop dead.

Sure you can. Depending upon the circumstances their mere presence may be a threat.
you are exactly right
"""may'''
depends on the circumstances
...unless this guy attacked her for no reason, which I doubt he did, this person needs to go to jail
...some girl accidentally walks into your open door apartment and you immediately attack???!!!!!
really?

YEP. You don't know who that "some girl" is. And it's not your responsibility to know. Anyone walks into my house without my permission and I do not know them they will be shot. Even my family knows that they are to call me before showing up out of the blue. Why? Because I don't want to kill them out of mistaken identity.

I often forget to lock the door to my house as sometimes I fall asleep on the sofa before I secure the house for the night. That doesn't change the law. You walk in you will be shot.

Period.

Please see post 45.

And in Texas they have a very strong stand your ground law. That dude would have had the right to shoot that cop dead.
you don't read the FACTS!! please go back and read the links
not ALL states are like that
you are playing dumb
NOT a HOME--where there is only ONE occupant of the building
apartments have MANY occupants
you make the mistake of thinking unrealistically/everything is black and white

YEP. You don't know who that "some girl" is. And it's not your responsibility to know. Anyone walks into my house without my permission and I do not know them they will be shot.

Period.
even a 13 year old needing help?
how about a mother needing help?
you are a GENIUS
and you'd live with that for the rest of your life and probably be sued for sure if not charged

Please see post 45.

you are playing dumb

And I posted a map that shows the ONE STATE in America that you cannot shoot a home invader automatically. But that doesn't mean you can't. All that means is you must retreat if you can. Many apartments don't have a back door and so once they walk into the only door, you can't retreat so you can use deadly force.

If you rent an apartment with many people renting with you then you have to work it out amongst yourselves. But you keep moving the goalposts because you have absolutely no argument.

And yea, if a 13 year old walks into my home, they could easily be carrying a gun. Their age means nothing to me. Chances are in the dark of my house I couldn't tell their age anyway, and wouldn't care. Only a small child or toddler would stand a chance. When I was 13 I was as good with a gun as I am now. I shot a wren in the eye at 35 yards when I was 10. You think because the kid is 13 I'll treat him like a saint? Um no.

I live out in the country. My neighbors are very far away. Nobody will be stumbling into my house. And if they need help, knock. I'd be happy to invite them in.

Last edited:
I expect her to be indicted. I also expect she will be convicted or enter into a plea agreement (most likely). One thing is for certain: this was no accident and involves a lot more than a case of mere human error.

I will explain my position later today. I merely wanted to get on record before the grand jury made its decision.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back. Now, let's dispense with the silly notion that this was a simple case of negligence. The evidence proves that Officer Guyger knew she was at Botham Jean's apartment and that she banged on his door screaming for him to let her in. When Jean opened the door dressed in his underwear Guyger shot him. One of the biggest problems with this case is that the woman gave two vastly conflicting accounts of what happened.

According to the first account Jean opened the door when she was attempting to use her key on his lock. When she saw him, she thought he was an intruder and shot him..

“An off-duty Dallas Police Officer, who was wearing a full Dallas Police uniform, was attempting to enter apartment number 1478, with a set of keys. An unknown male, inside the apartment, confronted the officer at the door. A neighbor stated he heard an exchange of words, immediately followed by at least two gunshots.”

However, according to the second account, the door was slighter ajar and opened when she inserted her key in Jean's lock. She saw someone in the shadows (the lights were off) and thought he was a burglar and shot him.

“She told authorities that she “inserted a unique door key, with an electronic chip, into the door key hole. The door, which was slightly ajar prior to Guyger’s arrival, fully opened under the force of the key insertion.”

“Once the door opened, Guyger said the apartment was dark and she thought “she had encountered a burglar, which was described as a large silhouette, across the room in her apartment.”

“Guyger claimed she drew her weapon, “gave verbal commands that were ignored by (Jean),” and then fired two shots. Jean was hit by one of the shots and died from his wound.”

https://www.theroot.com/2-different-versions-of-amber-guyger-s-story-appear-on-1829044816

The following link gives an even more detailed account of Guyger's first story about the door being locked:

“When she arrived home she took an elevator to a floor that was not hers. She then went to what she thought was her door, put the key in and struggled with the lock. Guyger then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. Guyger believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment.”

Was The Door Locked Or Unlocked? Dallas Police Officer Who Shot Botham Jean Reportedly Changed Her Story

There are major problems with her first story; however I will address only her second story because that is the one she is apparently sticking with. Her story and that's what it is, a story, a fairy tale, is unbelievable. Let's take a look at the evidence When you do you will discover everything she claims is nothing but unadulterated bovine excrement.

There is one bet of evidence that completely destroys Guyger's contention that she thought she was at her own apartment. Jean always placed a red carpet in front of his door to distinguish his apartment from others (see the links, below).

Botham Jean's family says he did not know or have a relationship with Officer Amber Guyger

guyger and mat in front of door - Google Search:

The red carpet was not the only reason Guyger could not have mistaken Jean's apartment for her own As one might expect, in every apartment building the units are numbered for easy identification. In the case of the apartments in Guyger's building, they were conspicuously numbered. The link below shows “door numbers are clearly visible and lit up in neon, placed to one side” The link also gives a very detailed analysis of the entire case.

Video: EXCLUSIVE: DailyMail.com tests doors at Botham Jean apartments | Daily Mail Online

Guyger also said that the door was ajar and opened when she inserted her key into the lock. However, this particular door slams shut after it is opened to make sure it is secure when the person leaves. The information comes from the link provided above, but in case anyone didn't read the entire link, here is one that deals only with the door:

Video: EXCLUSIVE: DailyMail.com tests doors at Botham Jean apartments | Daily Mail Online

Finally, witnesses testified they heard someone banging on Jean's door and heard a woman screaming, “let me in, let me in.”

“Merritt [Jean's family's attorney] said at a news conference Monday evening that two independent witnesses have told him they heard knocking on the door in the hallway before the shooting.

"He said one witness reported hearing a woman’s voice saying, 'Let me in! Let me in!' Then they heard gunshots, after which one witness said she heard a man’s voice say, 'Oh my God! Why did you do that?'

“Merritt said he believes those were Jean’s last words.”

Attorneys for Botham Jean's family say witnesses heard woman's voice say 'Let me in!' - theGrio

The inescapable fact is that the only way Guyger could have seen Jean is when he opened the door and they were face to face.. She shot him knowing who he was. The only thing I do not know is motive. She may have gone to his apartment to tell him to keep things quite so she would not be disturbed. Guyger had just gotten off a 15-hour shift and needed to get to sleep. In the past, she had made a complaint against Jean for making noise and disturbing her sleep (this information is in the links provided). He may have said something that in very exhausted state put her over the edge.

I doubt that he threatened her in any way as that would have certainly been reported. Further, if he had threatened her, that would have given her a justifiable and believable reason for using deadly force.

CONCLUSION: My analysis of all the available evidence convinces me that Guyger knew she was at Jean's apartment. She is guilty of murder and I expect there will be a plea bargain in this case.

Tragic scenes inside apartment where white cop shot dead black neighbor | Daily Mail Online

Thank you for providing details about the case. None of her stories make sense IMO. She definitely deserves to be in jail. The PD was correct in firing her, and distancing themselves from her actions. This is tragic, and the family should absolutely get a say in any potential plea deal. I’m sure she will be destroyed in civil court also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please see post 45.

you are playing dumb

And I posted a map that shows the ONE STATE in America that you cannot shoot a home invader automatically. But that doesn't mean you can't. All that means is you must retreat if you can. Many apartments don't have a back door and so once they walk into the only door, you can't retreat so you can use deadly force.

If you rent an apartment with many people renting with you then you have to work it out amongst yourselves. But you keep moving the goalposts because you have absolutely no argument.

And yea, if a 13 year old walks into my home, they could easily be carrying a gun. Their age means nothing to me. Only a small child or toddler would stand a chance. When I was 13 I was as good with a gun as I am now. I shot a wren in the eye at 35 yards when I was 10. You think because the kid is 13 I'll treat him like a saint? Um no.
wasn't Trayvon Martin standing his ground?
Zim kept following and following and then got out of his vehicle and went AFTER him??

Zim kept following and following and then got out of his vehicle and went AFTER him??

This isn't about Travvy. The courts ruled no he wasn't standing his ground. I'm not rehashing that.

Like I said, you keep moving the goalposts because you have no argument. Rather than admit you're wrong, you keep bouncing around like a ball. This is about a cop who broke into an apartment she had no right to be in and shot the homeowner. Period.

This isn't about Travvy. The courts ruled no he wasn't standing his ground. I'm not rehashing that.

Like I said, you keep moving the goalposts because you have no argument. Rather than admit you're wrong, you keep bouncing around like a ball. This is about a cop who broke into an apartment she had no right to be in and shot the homeowner. Period.
....so--you see, these laws can be interpreted many ways--that's the point of the Zim-Martin problem
you just FKd up --again = she did NOT BREAK in

YES SHE ENTERED THE APARTMENT ILLEGALLY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE FUCKING CHIMNEY.

Was she supposed to be there? No.
Did he invite her in? No.
When she banged on the door did he say come on in? No. He yelled back at her.

SHE BROKE IN YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

I still don't agree with the murder indictment and I'll tell you why. It's basically going for the touch down and 2 pt conversion. And not being happy with just a point after. If just ONE of those jurors doesn't think she MEANT to kill him shes going to walk. To be found guilty of murder it MUST be intentional. Not just the person is dead and you did it, but you MEANT to do it. That will be hard to prove in this case.

Mark my words. She walks because of this, IF the jury is not allowed to find her guilty of a lessor charge. I don't know the facts on that aspect.

Mark my words. She walks because of this, IF the jury is not allowed to find her guilty of a lessor charge. I don't know the facts on that aspect.
Do you feel that they did this intentionally? To give her an out?

I honestly don't understand why anyone, other than the prosecutor who wants to rack up wins, would take a chance on a murder charge when they can pretty much prove a manslaughter charge. Also I only recently heard about the fact that she had filed previous noise complaints against Botham Jean. If I had known that up front, I doubt I would have given her any consideration - it sounds like she lost control of her temper in which case that would be murder. I honestly can think of no other scenario that makes sense and she's contradicted herself on the circumstances under which she encountered Jean.

You need to sue your law school and get your money back! Wait! You didn't go to law school? Then why are you making stupid false statements?

Forum List

Back