Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside

Once inside, how can she not realize that she is in the wrong apartment?

Dunno. Adrenaline? Laser focus on the 'intruder'? Exhaustion? Vaguely similar furniture?

Or something super simple....like its dark.

Last edited:
You know what's worrying in addition to the tragic death of this young man in his own home is the mental state of the officer who shot him. I understand being tired at the end of your shift, I understand having to work while ill, but to be this disoriented to attempt to enter a home that you erroneously believe is your own and then to kill the occupant because you believe he is an intruder is just something I can't even think of how you would train for.

That's my take too. If a woman came home and found an intruder inside, shooting him is not unreasonable. So from her persective, I can see why she acted as she did in the moment with the information she thought she had.

On the other hand, this dude was just hanging out in his apartment and is shot by a uniformed cop for existing there. Which is just fucking tragic.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for both the officer and the victim's family.
Look anyone who is a Cop who enters his apartment, house, trailer, is going to notice right off the bat something is wrong with what he or she sees. The first thing is the door was unlocked, suspicious yes, but upon entering the light must have been on. The contents would not match your stuff, this is a strong hint that you have screwed up. Therefore I suggest that she and he have some connection of some type. The shooting only allows one side of the story be told. It almost looks like Murder at this point.

You know what's worrying in addition to the tragic death of this young man in his own home is the mental state of the officer who shot him. I understand being tired at the end of your shift, I understand having to work while ill, but to be this disoriented to attempt to enter a home that you erroneously believe is your own and then to kill the occupant because you believe he is an intruder is just something I can't even think of how you would train for.

That's my take too. If a woman came home and found an intruder inside, shooting him is not unreasonable. So from her persective, I can see why she acted as she did in the moment with the information she thought she had.

On the other hand, this dude was just hanging out in his apartment and is shot by a uniformed cop for existing there. Which is just fucking tragic.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for both the officer and the victim's family.
Look anyone who is a Cop who enters his apartment, house, trailer, is going to notice right off the bat something is wrong with what he or she sees. The first thing is the door was unlocked, suspicious yes, but upon entering the light must have been on. The contents would not match your stuff, this is a strong hint that you have screwed up. Therefore I suggest that she and he have some connection of some type. The shooting only allows one side of the story be told. It almost looks like Murder at this point.

It could be dark inside. There could be a lot of mitigating circumstances.

I think we don't know the half and I am willing to wait for more evidence, this is just a very sad and tragic story.

i'm thinking that the door was unlocked and she walked up , turned the knob , walked in and there he was , all ready to be shot Dead ,
I looked through some of the local Dallas news stories and one of the neighbors said that they heard what they assumed was just regular police talk saying "Open up, Open up!" That leads me to believe that she didn't just walk through an unlocked door if accurate.

i'm thinking that the door was unlocked and she walked up , turned the knob , walked in and there he was , all ready to be shot Dead ,
I looked through some of the local Dallas news stories and one of the neighbors said that they heard what they assumed was just regular police talk saying "Open up, Open up!" That leads me to believe that she didn't just walk through an unlocked door if accurate.
She may have been sexing him and found out he was cheating.

Anything is possible but you're correct about officers being particularly observant which is why I was wondering how her situational awareness could have been so off.

There really aren't any words for this. How was she able to even enter the apartment if it wasn't hers?

Dallas police said the officer called for help and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

by Erik Ortiz and Jareen Imam / Sep.07.2018 / 4:21 AM ET / Updated 7:42 AM ET

A Dallas man was killed late Thursday when a police officer returning home from her shift entered the wrong apartment in her building and eventually opened fire, authorities said.

Details surrounding the death of Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, were not immediately available early Friday.

His mother, Allie Jean, said in a phone interview that his family was stunned to learn of his death.

"He did no one any wrong," she said.

Dallas police in a statement said that preliminary information suggests the officer involved called for help, and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

The incident began just before 10 p.m. CT (11 p.m. ET) at the South Side Flats, an upscale apartment complex directly south of Dallas' downtown.

During the encounter, the officer was in full uniform and "fired her weapon striking the victim," police said.

Jean was taken to the hospital and died. The Dallas County Medical Examiner later released his identity.
Dallas’ finest

There really aren't any words for this. How was she able to even enter the apartment if it wasn't hers?

Dallas police said the officer called for help and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

A Dallas man was killed late Thursday when a police officer returning home from her shift entered the wrong apartment in her building and eventually opened fire, authorities said.

Details surrounding the death of Botham Shem Jean, a 26-year-old native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, were not immediately available early Friday.

His mother, Allie Jean, said in a phone interview that his family was stunned to learn of his death.

Dallas police in a statement said that preliminary information suggests the officer involved called for help, and told responding officers that "she entered the victim's apartment believing that it was her own."

The incident began just before 10 p.m. CT (11 p.m. ET) at the South Side Flats, an upscale apartment complex directly south of Dallas' downtown.

During the encounter, the officer was in full uniform and "fired her weapon striking the victim," police said.

Jean was taken to the hospital and died. The Dallas County Medical Examiner later released his identity.
Cops are stupid and violent.
Don't let those who are speak for the rest when they too have mouths on their faces.

God bless you and the smart and fair ones always!!!

Holy

.....I was drunk and went to my future wife's house no problem.....first time there, no problem
...next time I was sober, I went to the wrong house

very strange
seems like the owner would retreat after seeing a pistol...??
did she just shoot ''instinctively''/shocked/frightened/all of the above/etc...??
unless some other, odd information comes out, she should go to jail

Dallas’ finest
she shot him because of his skin color

If she thought the apartment was hers, finding the door unlocked would have contributed to her thinking he was an intruder, I guess. I know I'd be suspicious if I came home and found my door unlocked.

On the other hand, how the hell did she not know which apartment was hers? And why the hell would a police officer let the situation escalate like that?

So much we don't know yet about this.

Forum List

Back