Cultural exhaustion

The one's who were offended were the kids who should have been asked to leave not the kids that did nothing but get dressed that morning.

I think it's time for another P.O.O.P. recruitment drive.

Join People Offended by Offended People and stop this idiocy.

If your worried about violence on a holiday, why not just take a school holiday? If you are really concerned, kick the little trouble making illegals out of school.

Fire the damned principle and be done with it.

What he did was stupid beyond understanding.

It wasn't liberal, it wasn't conservative, either.

It was just dumb as hell.

Oh he'll get fired alright. It will be awhile though, have to wait out the potential law suits. Then they can use his firing as a settlement point.

I'd LOVE to see the results of you three running a High school In America.

Skull Pilot could use his Superpowers to determine what kids would become violent towards other kids.

Editec could fire everyone in the school for doing anything he thought was "dumb."

Saveliberty could declare a school holiday every time students threatened violence.

:lol:

The one's who were offended were the kids who should have been asked to leave not the kids that did nothing but get dressed that morning.

If your worried about violence on a holiday, why not just take a school holiday? If you are really concerned, kick the little trouble making illegals out of school.

Oh he'll get fired alright. It will be awhile though, have to wait out the potential law suits. Then they can use his firing as a settlement point.

Skull Pilot could use his Superpowers to determine what kids would become violent towards other kids.

Editec could fire everyone in the school for doing anything he thought was "dumb."

Saveliberty could declare a school holiday every time students threatened violence.

If I ran a high school, there would be a uniform dress code
Students would be called, Mr. or Miss and students would address teachers as Sir or Ma'am.

There would be no grading on a curve and i would enforce the same honor policy used at our military academies.

I shall not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.

The penalty for violating the code would be summary expulsion. Period.

Students would be called, Mr. or Miss and students would address teachers as Sir or Ma'am.

There would be no grading on a curve and i would enforce the same honor policy used at our military academies.

A. Increase your budget because 51% the parents will claim they cannot afford the uniform.
B. Make sure you carve out an extra 3 hours every day for dealing with students that don't follow the dress code
C. Carve out another day every week to deal with a "dress code committee" that will debate whether or not pink is red.
D. Prepare in advance for the ACLU lawsuit claiming that public gender identification harms the rights of Hermaphrodites.
E. Expand the school to make room for everyone that is retained because they fail a grade under your grading policy. More $$$ for teachers, and operational costs
F. Make sure you spend 12 hours a day enforcing the code, and meeting with parents, and their lawyers that claim you are being racist for expelling poor Juan Martin Luther Washington for stealing a book, but not similarly punishing Shaquanna Garza for stealing his pencil.

[
A. Increase your budget because 51% the parents will claim they cannot afford the uniform.
B. Make sure you carve out an extra 3 hours every day for dealing with students that don't follow the dress code
C. Carve out another day every week to deal with a "dress code committee" that will debate whether or not pink is red.
D. Prepare in advance for the ACLU lawsuit claiming that public gender identification harms the rights of Hermaphrodites.
E. Expand the school to make room for everyone that is retained because they fail a grade under your grading policy. More $$$ for teachers, and operational costs
F. Make sure you spend 12 hours a day enforcing the code, and meeting with parents, and their lawyers that claim you are being racist for expelling poor Juan Martin Luther Washington for stealing a book, but not similarly punishing Shaquanna Garza for stealing his pencil.

I see you like to avoid some work instead of improving the system. It would be short term effort for long term gains. Typical view of folks like you Samson.

Sickening, but true.

[

I see you like to avoid some work instead of improving the system. It would be short term effort for long term gains. Typical view of folks like you Samson.

You're an fantatic optimist if you think this would be anything like a "Short term effort."

Typical of those with no experience.

[

You're an fantatic optimist if you think this would be anything like a "Short term effort."

Wrong again, twice. I was a teacher for several years. Also, my kids attended a school much like the one described. I have loads of experience.

Wrong again, twice. I was a teacher for several years. Also, my kids attended a school much like the one described. I have loads of experience.

um yeah, right, that gives you experience running a school:rolleyes:

:eusa_hand:

Again, typical of teachers, they think they could run a school because they stay in a classroom all day long, exposed to a small fraction of the students at the school.

Teachers and Parents have very little idea WTF kind of circus is going on down in the front office because they are sequestered in their little world until they have a SERIOUS PROBLEM, like, Pablo just WON'T STOP TALKING to Kashina, and then teachers send the kids to the office for discipline, for christssakes.

:lol::lol::lol:

So were every teacher at that school. I mean come on, cinco de mayo? a mexican holiday? Not in Mexico. Why didn't they teach the students about Cinco de Mayo? Also about their won Independence Day which is in Sept, not May. I mean heck, they themselves <the mexican studends> were comparing it to July 4th. This is a sad commentary on our educational system.

I like that. And I can't rep you for it because, unfortunately, rep is like manure, you gotta spread it around.

When I was a cubscout leader, uniform required, we went to a place where all the kids could get free cubscout uniforms. The only caveat was that they return their uniforms when they were done with them. No problem. I think uniforms for schools can work the same way. Or make them easy, blue jeans and a white shirt with nothing on it. Sweaters or coats must be blue with no marking also. Shoes can be white tennis shoes. You can't tell me the poor people don't have blue jeans, white t shirts and white tennis shoes.....

[

Actually, he's right. Once everyone gets used to the rules, they will be automatic. Kind of like your mother teaching you to say "please" and "thank you".

Really? A pair of khaki dockers and a white oxford is no more expensive than a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt. No excuse there.

It's called send them home.

Again, khaki pants and a white button down shirt. No exceptions

Everyone will be treated exactly the same. Isn't that the definition of equal treatment?

There is no excuse for failing a class. Ever. If a student fails, he or she can study all summer and test out before the fall semester starts. If they fail, they repeat the grade. I am willing to bet that the failure rate won't be as high as you think it will.

Again what do you not understand about equal treatment. The honor code is absolute and no distinction is made between offenses. If parents and students do not agree to abide by the code, they are free to attend another school.

What's the matter am I being to harsh on the poor pampered entitled children for you?

Again, typical of teachers, they think they could run a school because they stay in a classroom all day long, exposed to a small fraction of the students at the school.

Teachers and Parents have very little idea WTF kind of circus is going on down in the front office because they are sequestered in their little world until they have a SERIOUS PROBLEM, like, Pablo just WON'T STOP TALKING to Kashina, and then teachers send the kids to the office for discipline, for christssakes.

What exactly is YOUR experience with the schools? I wasn't a teacher, but I was a community liaison for Parents are Vital in Education, I was a member of our school choice commit y, I volunteered at the schools on a regular basis. I attended school board meetings, heck I fought for the Teach program for autistic kids, starting when my son was in first grade and they finally instituted it when he was in 10th grade.

I attended PTA meetings, which should have been called PA meetings as the only time any teachers showed up was when they were giving a speech.

My oldest son had all kinds of problems in the public school. Twice the police were called on him because the public schools are STUPID!!! Once, when he was in forth grade, I came to get him and the cops asked if I could "handle him". I said "Of course I can, he's my son." I told him to go get in the car and he did exactly what I said. I'm not sure what the teacher and counselor did to cause his meltdown but I don't think the cops were necessary. The second time was when he was in highschool. He was being teased badly DURING class while the teacher ignored it, even when my son complained to her. A really bad thing about him went out on all the computers in the school and his teacher didn't do one darn thing to stop it or to discipline the students involved. My son made the mistake of saying "Now I understand why things like columbine happen." The cops were called. The asked me if he had a gun. I said "no". They asked me if he had access to a gun. I said "no." Public schools are STUPID!!!

BTW, my oldest so is now attending DeVry university and he's on the dean's list. Of course it is a geek school but he's treated with respect the way he should have been treated in the public schools.

Those that can't teach administrate. Secretaries run schools in my experience. Administrators attend meetings, for the most part without parents or students present.

Those that can't teach administrate. Secretaries run schools in my experience. Administrators attend meetings, for the most part without parents or students present.

There's a lot of truth in that statement. At least it was my experience where I taught school.

Quote:
Everyone will be treated exactly the same. Isn't that the definition of equal treatment?

I understand where you're coming from. But after working on the periphery of schools and having family who are educators as well... let me just say that there are people looking to make their bones at your expense by finding the exceptions and making them the standards. A hermaphrodite uses which bathroom? For instance. You could try and force them to choose the gender they identify with most, but that still leaves the door open to a lot of problems once phys ed meets puberty.

You can also try the route of, "your child just may not be suited for our school." and that's when the opportunists will, probably successfully in our current legal system, sue the crap out of you. Hence why Samson pointed out what he did.

There is no excuse for failing a class. Ever. If a student fails, he or she can study all summer and test out before the fall semester starts. If they fail, they repeat the grade. I am willing to bet that the failure rate won't be as high as you think it will.

You're right in that high expectations will equal a low failure rate AFTER the ability to survive the first two-five years is established. Unfotunately, as I've been seeing with private academies, many kids do not WANT to be there, but their parents do because they are trying to keep them out of trouble, away from bad areas/school, force them to man up to the work, achieve their highest potential and/or get some sort of name recognition boost. The kid n the other hand knows this, resents it and will deliberately flunk out just to get out of what they consider a shitty school and go back to be with average gangbanging students at the public school where they can be a big fish in small pond and wear their favorite clothes. Seen it many a time.

That said, your one failure and out will so diminish your pool of available students as to make your business model impossible in the short term. Maybe after 20 years of this kind of behavior and sufferin through years of high flunk out rates (comparatively), you'll do well.

The last hurdle will be staff negotiations with that policy. Many teachers, being as they are soft-hearted caring sorts (I'm being generous here for some) will not flunk a kid for anything but hide the fact and pawn the issue on the next teacher till, SURPRISE!, the nationalized tests come along and you are left with a kid that went from low/mid acceptable to dog dirt overnight. Then you have a bigger mess on your hands because, being a private school, parents may sue or bad press gets out if it's a large batch, and you can't fire the teacher thanks to state rules, and if you do, THEY sue...

You have to allow a small area for under-performance. But you can't just throw them out bam and expect to stay open long. You can cut them loose for underachieving at the end of the year if they don't pull out of it.

Like I said, a school like this, has a lot of people looking, hoping, interfering and trying to make you fail. Excellence threatens the mediocre, particularly if you're cost effective and they will do their best to bring you down to their level. Public schools and the unions don't want you to succeed because if you do, you provide evidence for them to be changed to doing something they don't want: excellence, because that's hard work.

It's a noble effort, but as you stated it currently, doomed in most cases. Tweak it a little and hire good lawyers, and you'd be golden at creating a very badass school. Just promise me you'll teach the constitution, economics and founding documents as a requirement for graduation?

Really? A pair of khaki dockers and a white oxford is no more expensive than a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt. No excuse there.

It's called send them home.

Again, khaki pants and a white button down shirt. No exceptions

Again what do you not understand about equal treatment. The honor code is absolute and no distinction is made between offenses. If parents and students do not agree to abide by the code, they are free to attend another school.

What's the matter am I being to harsh on the poor pampered entitled children for you?

Sorry, SP, but some of what you're saying is so naive that I cannot believe you're serious.

For example your solution to send home kids out of dress code!:lol:
Are you gonna have a Jeni give them a ride on a magic carpet?

Forum List

Back