Cultural exhaustion

If they were do you think you could make them stop without a fight on your hands ?

I'm not sure.

If Jews "flying the Star of David on Sinko Day Mayo," did not cause a disruptive environment in the school, I wouldn't care.

But if it did, I'd warn them, then if they refused, I'd discipline them on the basis of their defiance of School Administration.

The safety of students is the priority of school administration, and student's individual rights of expression come in at a distant (second? third? forth?).

The JADL would be all over your ass like stink on shit in less than an hour

heh.....yes, being a High School Principal is nothing if not a thankless task.

This is why documenting everything is essential in today's public school system. But, if schools weren't doing paperwork, for what else would the public be paying?

I'm not sure.

If Jews "flying the Star of David on Sinko Day Mayo," did not cause a disruptive environment in the school, I wouldn't care.

But if it did, I'd warn them, then if they refused, I'd discipline them on the basis of their defiance of School Administration.

The safety of students is the priority of school administration, and student's individual rights of expression come in at a distant (second? third? forth?).

This is why documenting everything is essential in today's public school system. But, if schools weren't doing paperwork, for what else would the public be paying?

We could just ban the Amercian flag and everyone would be happy and peaceful. Anyone objecting would be labeled a bigot. Face it. We're doomed.

If they were do you think you could make them stop without a fight on your hands ?

I'm not sure.

The sad part is, the disruption would not be made by the Jewish students... only those that hated them for daring to show pride in their culture. So the discipline would best fall on those 'tolerant' souls who refused others to be proud in their culture I guess.

Well that's how it'd go down on my bus with plenty of write ups to go around. But I'm with ya Sampson. :)

Write ups!!!

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!
:woohoo:

High school students don't need the "star of David" or any symbol more complex than a red or blue bandana to divide themselves into the "Hated" vs "Hatees"

We could just ban the Amercian flag and everyone would be happy and peaceful. Anyone objecting would be labeled a bigot. Face it. We're doomed.

The American Flag flies in front of every school in the USA.

Did the school announce in advance that the US flag was not to be worn on May 5th?

Did they fly the US flag on the flag pole out front of the school that day or the Mexican flag?

Are the kids Mexican-Americans or Americans of Mexican ancestory?

Are their illegals at the school? Are they the ones who might have turned violent?

No. Don't know. Yes - one of the kids wearing the American flag was Mexican American. Don't know.

Here's are a couple of things to think about:

- The vice principal assumed that the Mexican American kids celebrating Cinco de Mayo would be incited to commit violence by seeing an American Flag. Isn't this racist? Why did he assume the Mexican-American kids would be so offended?

- If the Mexican-American kids were the ones suspected of being prone to violence, why weren't they and their parents hauled into the office to be lectured about remaining peaceful?

I'm not sure.

The sad part is, the disruption would not be made by the Jewish students... only those that hated them for daring to show pride in their culture. So the discipline would best fall on those 'tolerant' souls who refused others to be proud in their culture I guess.

Well that's how it'd go down on my bus with plenty of write ups to go around. But I'm with ya Sampson. :)

Write ups!!!

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

High school students don't need the "star of David" or any symbol more complex than a red or blue bandana to divide themselves into the "Hated" vs "Hatees"

No they don't--so it's a really good idea to get in there and take sides.:rolleyes:

The American Flag flies in front of every school in the USA.

Give them time----it will go the way of the 10 commandments

Banning the flag out of fear of violence has been done before.

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.
Netherlands the national flag is now banned in most schools - Google Search

What can I tell you? He's an idiot.. I hope that helps.. Yours Truly.. WT.. :eusa_angel:

Having a riot at school is also slightly detrimental to educational goals and objectives.

No, it is not. But, there was no riot. Following authority is a good lesson. Teaching just authority is also a valuable lesson. And, when authority is unjust, teaching non-violent disobedience is a good lesson on how to effect change from unjust authority.

Finally, doing it right from the start is a great lesson.

You people haven't heard a word I've said.

Your world of theoretical teaching and administering is wonderful: of course, we would all love the luxury to live within it's ideal.

Unhappily, we manage schools in the REAL world.

On Earth we are trying to manage to get through each day in SOME US highschools without a fucking riot. If it takes asking a few kids to change their clothes on Sinko Day Mayo, then so be it.

Samson, I've heard what you've said and I actually DO understand. The reason some schools are like a war zone is because the schools themselves have so mismanaged education from the start. Clothes are not the problem, their feckless administration IS.

These students did the right thing. They were not violent, used non-violent disobedience, and made a very valid point.

Some school board is cringing at this press and hopefully some sort of change, no matter how little, will happen.

It caused a bit of a local stir as it looks just like a big curled up piece of poo (some of us refer to it as The Doodie).

4585161477_945f8b45ef_o.jpg

Did the school announce in advance that the US flag was not to be worn on May 5th?

Did they fly the US flag on the flag pole out front of the school that day or the Mexican flag?

Are the kids Mexican-Americans or Americans of Mexican ancestory?

Are their illegals at the school? Are they the ones who might have turned violent?

No. Don't know. Yes - one of the kids wearing the American flag was Mexican American. Don't know.

Here's are a couple of things to think about:

- The vice principal assumed that the Mexican American kids celebrating Cinco de Mayo would be incited to commit violence by seeing an American Flag. Isn't this racist? Why did he assume the Mexican-American kids would be so offended?

- If the Mexican-American kids were the ones suspected of being prone to violence, why weren't they and their parents hauled into the office to be lectured about remaining peaceful?

I doubt the vp just pulled the assumption out of his ass because he didn't have anything better to do than to imagine how Mexican Americans may think. He was probably clued in by some informant that something was brewing. I doubt he could identify who the threatening students were, but he knew exactly who were the threatened students.

To defuse the situation, it was much easier to ask the handful of guys wearing red, white and blue colors to remove them for the day.

Not in America, Samson.

That's the wrong answer. Do we expect other countries to not honor their own flags in their own countries when it's July 4th?

I'm not sure.

Write ups!!!

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

yeah, I know... write ups is all I got. Well, and assigned seating, closing the windows with the heat on while hot is frowned upon, but not banned.

They won't let us beat the kids or leave em on the side of the road anymore so my options are limited.

Read up on Cinco de Mayo and you'll see that Mexicans don't even celebrate it, and barely care about it.
----------------------

If you're in the United States, May 5 is an unofficial national holiday. Countless house parties, cultural festivals and bar specials will honor Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday commemorating the Battle of Puebla in 1862, in which Mexican defenders beat back a powerful invading army from France.

But if you're in Mexico, today is ... Que? It's a holiday?

Among the many contradictions and ironies of Mexican-U.S. relations is the curious case of Cinco de Mayo. It is a holiday in Mexico, yes, but not nearly as important to the national identity as say, Independence Day (Sept. 16). Yet Cinco de Mayo remains a stubbornly prevalent excuse to party in the U.S., perhaps, some argue, because it is more culturally "safe" than honoring Mexico's independence. The phenomenon is similar to the affection Americans have for St. Patrick's Day, where just about everyone is invited to don green and get in touch with their inner Irish.

Almost 140 years after the Battle of Puebla, Cinco de Mayo is so ingrained in the U.S. consciousness that even the White House celebrates it. And this year, so will the Phoenix Suns. The basketball pros will take the court in a Western Conference semifinal game against the San Antonio Spurs wearing "Los Suns" on their jerseys.

For his part, columnist and author Gustavo Arellano, has had it with Cinco de Mayo. Calling for an end to the "ridiculous" celebration in the U.S., Arellano writes at the OC Weekly:

Many people regard Cinco de Mayo as a celebration of resistance to imperial power. If only that were so. The events of that day didn't prohibit the French from turning Mexico into their Latin American playground. Mexicans taste the French legacy every morning in their pan dulce and tortas. Teenagers listlessly practice it in quinceañera waltzes. Men yelp their approval to our French conquerors whenever the mariachi violins begin their pizzicato coda

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/05/cinco-de-mayo.html

The US flag stands for freedom, and freedom was taken from these students.

Cinco de Mayo has been promoted by beverage companies and restaurants. It's a faux holiday to encourage consumption for the most part.

No, it is not. But, there was no riot. Following authority is a good lesson. Teaching just authority is also a valuable lesson. And, when authority is unjust, teaching non-violent disobedience is a good lesson on how to effect change from unjust authority.

Finally, doing it right from the start is a great lesson.

You people haven't heard a word I've said.

Your world of theoretical teaching and administering is wonderful: of course, we would all love the luxury to live within it's ideal.

Unhappily, we manage schools in the REAL world.

On Earth we are trying to manage to get through each day in SOME US highschools without a fucking riot. If it takes asking a few kids to change their clothes on Sinko Day Mayo, then so be it.

Samson, I've heard what you've said and I actually DO understand. The reason some schools are like a war zone is because the schools themselves have so mismanaged education from the start. Clothes are not the problem, their feckless administration IS.

These students did the right thing. They were not violent, used non-violent disobedience, and made a very valid point.

Some school board is cringing at this press and hopefully some sort of change, no matter how little, will happen.

Oh, I'm certain "some sort of change," will happen.

And I'm equally convinced it will require the school have a larger budget.

Simply asking kids not to wear red, white, and blue or green on Sinko Day Mayo is WAY to damn efficient and cheap.

Obviously, a $500,000 grant should be awarded to Berkeley from the DOE to study the problem.

Last edited:
Cinco de Mayo has been promoted by beverage companies and restaurants. It's a faux holiday to encourage consumption for the most part.
Cinco de Mayo... Like mothers day... only with beer, protests and race riots by criminals.

Forum List

Back