Corporal Punishment Returning To School?

blastoff

Undocumented Reg. User
Nov 12, 2009
In a galaxy far far away...
A school board member in FL wants to bring back the practice of paddling kids who misbehave. When I first read the headline I thought no way in hell. The ACLU and God knows who else would gin up the lawsuits pronto.

But then in the article I read where parents would have the right to opt out of the disciplinary tool if they wanted to. So if that would be the case, what's wrong with paddling kids whose parents are okay with it?

At my high school - A Jesuit Preparatory School for Men, as it read out front - all parents knew when they enrolled their sons that corporal punishment via paddling was practiced when necessary, and no opting out. If you didn't like it, send your kid elsewhere.

And I knew no one, including myself, who ever put himself in the position of being paddled a second time. And thus there were very few discipline problems because, well, kids aren't stupid. Paddling is no fun.

Mine was a private school and this is about a public school, but, again, if the parents are okay with paddling should the school adopt the procedure?

A school board member in FL wants to bring back the practice of paddling kids who misbehave. When I first read the headline I thought no way in hell. The ACLU and God knows who else would gin up the lawsuits pronto.

But then in the article I read where parents would have the right to opt out of the disciplinary tool if they wanted to. So if that would be the case, what's wrong with paddling kids whose parents are okay with it?

At my high school - A Jesuit Preparatory School for Men, as it read out front - all parents knew when they enrolled their sons that corporal punishment via paddling was practiced when necessary, and no opting out. If you didn't like it, send your kid elsewhere.

And I knew no one, including myself, who ever put himself in the position of being paddled a second time. And thus there were very few discipline problems because, well, kids aren't stupid. Paddling is no fun.

Mine was a private school and this is about a public school, but, again, if the parents are okay with paddling should the school adopt the procedure?

Hell yes. I got whacked when I was in elementary school, and guess what? I deserved it. When I got home, my Dad whacked me a few more times for good measure. I don't believe in beating kids, but a few cracks with the paddle for certain offenses is way okay by me. That doesn't mean they should be paddling kids for minor infractions though, only major infractions, and the kids should have an idea of the consequences ahead of time, of what constitutes an offense that is punishable by paddling.

It is wrong for another person, bar the childs parents, to smack a child. If a teacher caned my child, I'd cane the.

Hell yes. I got whacked when I was in elementary school, and guess what? I deserved it. When I got home, my Dad whacked me a few more times for good measure. I don't believe in beating kids, but a few cracks with the paddle for certain offenses is way okay by me. That doesn't mean they should be paddling kids for minor infractions though, only major infractions, and the kids should have an idea of the consequences ahead of time, of what constitutes an offense that is punishable by paddling.

I'll bet you walked 4 miles to and from school, uphill both ways.

Your reply jogged my memory of this practice at my high school. If you got paddled they called your home to inform the parents. Not sure why that was the case other to just inform, but perhaps there was some thought that parents might further follow up with more discipline. In my case my Dad didn't whack me again but I'm sure he did something to help make the point, probably took car priviledges away or grounded me or extra chores around the house. I don't recall now but I know he had to have done something. That's just the way he was. And I'm thankful for that.

I'm ok with it, kids with no discipline are animals.

Anyone supporting this should be sterilized. The school board member is a perverted psycho.

I think you should be sterilized; how's that? And I'm not a draconian conservative by any means.

I tried. I saved money for five years to have it done and went to half a dozen different doctors...but none of them would do a vasectomy on a 18 year old.

Not like you'll ever get a woman to drop her drawers for you anyway.

I'll bet you walked 4 miles to and from school, uphill both ways.

Not that far, but I walked. Most kids did.

Paddling does have a good effect. Most who experienced said they never experienced a second whack and they deserved it. Just knowing it's out there as a tool, should be a consequence to be avoided. The parents who object are usually those who have the children who need it the most.

Decades ago, we didn't have the problems in schools we have now. And the lack of corporal punishment is on of the reasons why. It should never be used as for a first offense. It's used as, the first time you didn't listen, the second time, I thought you did. This time We'll try something else. You have to get their attention.

^^^ To me, paddling should be a last resort, but if it has to be done, the real questions are how much should be done and how hard should it be when it is done and who should it be done by?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Go here for a recent story in my area about this very issue.

By that logic, why stop there? Why not a bamboo cane? Or a bullwhip? Or a flogger made of barbed wire?

Anyone in favor of this is a sick, twisted pervert and should be, at the very least, locked up.

I think you should be sterilized; how's that? And I'm not a draconian conservative by any means.

I tried. I saved money for five years to have it done and went to half a dozen different doctors...but none of them would do a vasectomy on a 18 year old.

Not like you'll ever get a woman to drop her drawers for you anyway.

Projecting your own faults on others is unseemly. I recommend immediate lobotomization.

For the record: Married 16+ years.

Forum List

Back