Coronavirus: CDC-Approved Filtering Mask / Respirator Info

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
For those who are concerned about the spread of the Coronavirus and are interested in buying masks for future use, I have done some research the last several days and wanted to provide some information:

The CDC has provided a list of NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. This list can be found on their following web page:

CDC - NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators - 3M Suppliers List

If you are interested in purchasing masks for you and / or your family:

1. I recommend starting with the brand '3M'...to be honest, mainly because the CDC starts off their list of approved masks / respirators with '3M'.

2. FORGET 'Amazon' - Go Directly to the '3M' Web Site
- Looking on Google I found offers for '3M' masks for anywhere from $15 - $48, and once I clicked on the product it took me to the item...which had anywhere from a $130 - $300+ 'Shipping' cost

* The CDC website offers a lot of great things, such as 1) Coronavirus Alerts / Updates, 2) Tips On Repertory Health / Preventative Tips, & 3) WARNINGS ABOUT COUNTERFEIT MASKS/FILTERS AND HUCKSTERS TRYING TO RIP PEOPLE OFF, 4) list of Approved masks & links to info / directions how to use each.

I recommend going directly to the '3M' website. You can look up masks the CDC recommends on their web site, & '3M' provides pictures, descriptions, and WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM...in CASES (8 - 10 masks in each case). The site lists trusted on-line companies that sell cases of masks for as low as $14.99. The site also allows you to type in your zip code to find businesses / locations near you where you can buy these masks.

Here is a link to one of the '3M' pages 'showcasing' their 3M™ Particulate Respirator 8511, N95 80 EA/Case.

Where To Buy | 3M United States

As mentioned, it lists 5 different on-line sites / companies from whom you can buy the masks, prices ranging from $2.59 for a mask to $34.44 for a case. (There is one offer for $476.54, but I have no clue what that is about...and don't care)

I will post a few more links and info on the CDC, what they offer, etc...for anyone interested.

Last edited:
For those who are concerned about the spread of the Coronavirus and are interested in buying masks for future use, I have done some research the last several days and wanted to provide some information:

The CDC has provided a list of NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. This list can be found on their following web page:

CDC - NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators - 3M Suppliers List

1. I recommend starting with the brand '3M'...to be honest, mainly because the CDC starts off their list approved masks / respirators with '3M'.

- Looking on Google I found offers for '3M' masks for anywhere from $15 - $48, and once I clicked on the product it took me to the item...which had anywhere from a $130 - $300+ 'Shipping' cost

* The CDC website offers a lot of great things, such as 1) Coronavirus Alerts / Updates, 2) Tips On Repertory Health / Preventative Tips, & 3) WARNINGS ABOUT COUNTERFEIT MASKS/FILTERS AND HUCKSTERS TRYING TO RIP PEOPLE OFF, 4) list of Approved masks & links to info / directions how to use each.

I recommend going directly to the '3M' website. You can look up masks the CDC recommends on their web site, & '3M' provides pictures, descriptions, and WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM...in CASES (8 - 10 masks in each case). The site lists trusted on-line companies that sell cases of masks for as low as $14.99. The site also allows you to type in your zip code to find businesses / locations near you where you can buy these masks.

Here is a link to one of the '3M' pages 'showcasing' their 3M™ Particulate Respirator 8511, N95 80 EA/Case.

As mentioned, it lists 5 different on-line sites / companies from whom you can buy the masks, prices ranging from $2.59 for a mask to $34.44 for a case. (There is one offer for $476.54, but I have no clue what that is about...and don't care)

I will post a few more links and info on the CDC, what they offer, etc...for anyone interested.

To prevent you from contracting a viral infection these things are as useless as tits on a boar hog.
Note these things are PARTICLE masks made to prevent inhaling sawdust and the like. Virus critters are sub microscopic in size and require electron microscopes to see. They flow right through a particle mask completely unhindered and unimpeded.
The ONLY way things can come into play is if you ALREADY have the virus where they help contain the spray from your sneezes and coughs so you don't contaminate people and surfaces in your proximity.

How very "Prepper" of you Easy! Don't you think it might be a tad early for us all to be running around looking like this?

gettyimages-1201285261_custom-632b5dcb1a35f909c8f6575242bde89ed1fc53e5-s800-c85.jpg

1. I recommend starting with the brand '3M'...to be honest, mainly because the CDC starts off their list approved masks / respirators with '3M'.

To prevent you from contracting a viral infection these things are as useless as tits on a boar hog.
Note these things are PARTICLE masks made to prevent inhaling sawdust and the like. Virus critters are sub microscopic in size and require electron microscopes to see. They flow right through a particle mask completely unhindered and unimpeded.
The ONLY way things can come into play is if you ALREADY have the virus where they help contain the spray from your sneezes and coughs so you don't contaminate people and surfaces in your proximity.

I recommend you check out the CDC web site. The list of approved FILTERS are supposed to help. There are some products that are approved by NIOSH as an N95 respirator and also cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask. These products are referred to as 'Surgical N95 Respirators'. The CDC also states about these masks: "The N95 respirator is the most common of the seven types of particulate filtering facepiece respirators. This product filters at least 95% of airborne particles but is not resistant to oil."

I'm just passing along what the CDC says. I am not a doctor...I don't even play one on TV. Even if you decide to ignore the masks, their cite has a lot of great info and Coronavirus info / updates. Hope it helps.

How very "Prepper" of you Easy! Don't you think it might be a tad early for us all to be running around looking like this?
I was a Boy Scout (Always Be Prepared) and served in the military for 30 years. Being prepared is never a bad thing, and I am not sure buying a $2.49 mask makes me a 'prepper'.

As far as running around looking like the people in the photo, I have no plan on wearing any mask.....unless / until Coronavirus begins to spread like we have seen elsewhere. God willing, that won't happen.

Also, one last thing, I am sure you have heard comedians talk about 'Snowmageddon' & 'the Wal Mart Blitz' down south......I have some family in SC, and they can attest to it. In SC most people don't know how to drive in the snow. If some see a snowflake they think, 'Well, I'm just going to end up in the ditch anyway eventually'...so they go ahead and drive into the ditch. Even the threat of snow causes a run on Wal Mart where every loaf of bread and every gallon of milk is taken from the shelves.

In lower SC, IF it snows, they may get 1" and it's expected to last 1 day, 2 days max......yet schools close, businesses close, grocery stores are emptied....its hilarious....and a pain in the ass if you happen to be one of the 'normal' people who live there and drive to Wal Mart the next day hoping to buy bread for a sandwich.

My point is, if Coronavirus does start to spread here in the states, masks will be hard to come by if you want one, and if you find one it will cost you a couple hundred dollars. As I mentioned, there are already 'opportunists' on Amazon hoping to milk people for hundreds based on their fear and panic already.

OBTW, did you hear that China 'nationalized' one of the manufacturing plants (I believe one from the US - not sure) that makes surgical masks, gowns, and gloves? As of 2017 there were 1.386 BILLION people in China....and all of them are clamoring for masks so they can runaround looking like those in the picture above.

:p

I was a Boy Scout (Always Be Prepared) and served in the military for 30 years. Being prepared is never a bad thing, and I am not sure buying a $2.49 mask makes me a 'prepper'.

As far as running around looking like the people in the photo, I have no plan on wearing any mask.....unless / until Coronavirus begins to spread like we have seen elsewhere. God willing, that won't happen.

Also, one last thing, I am sure you have heard comedians talk about 'Snowmageddon' & 'the Wal Mart Blitz' down south......I have some family in SC, and they can attest to it. In SC most people don't know how to drive in the snow. If some see a snowflake they think, 'Well, I'm just going to end up in the ditch anyway eventually'...so they go ahead and drive into the ditch. Even the threat of snow causes a run on Wal Mart where every loaf of bread and every gallon of milk is taken from the shelves.

In lower SC, IF it snows, they may get 1" and it's expected to last 1 day, 2 days max......yet schools close, businesses close, grocery stores are emptied....its hilarious....and a pain in the ass if you happen to be one of the 'normal' people who live there and drive to Wal Mart the next day hoping to buy bread for a sandwich.

My point is, if Coronavirus does start to spread here in the states, masks will be hard to come by if you want one, and if you find one it will cost you a couple hundred dollars. As I mentioned, there are already 'opportunists' on Amazon hoping to milk people for hundreds based on their fear and panic already.

If things get any worse, we'll have plenty of time to pick up masks that may or may not work at a reasonable price. I could score some from my local hospital today if I really felt threatened. Hey, I thought Dems were the ones panicking? RELAX.

Good Rules Of Prevention: Proper 'HANDS' practice

WASH your hands very well, often, with soap and water. Wash briskly and thoroughly.

While out and about, don't touch objects and then touch your eyes, lick your fingers, or stick them up your nose (for the children), etc...

Hey, I thought Dems were the ones panicking? RELAX.
Planning / thinking ahead is not the same as panicking. People who panic are those who failed to plan / think ahead.

1. I recommend starting with the brand '3M'...to be honest, mainly because the CDC starts off their list of approved masks / respirators with '3M'.

For people are limited fixed incomes like us at the moment it would be cost prohibitive. Thank God we live in a rural area and not a city. Planning on providing these types things for people if it becomes necessary is where a portion of the emergency funds should be allocated.

WASH your hands very well, often, with soap and water. Wash briskly and thoroughly.

While out and about, don't touch objects and then touch your eyes, lick your fingers, or stick them up your nose (for the children), etc...

Excellent tips - Also good idea to use antibacterial soap and water as hot as you can take it. In public, do stuff like punch elevator keys with your knuckle instead of the tip of your finger. And I keep a small travel-size bottle of Purell (or the like) in my car and my laptop bag when flying.

For people are limited fixed incomes like us at the moment it would be cost prohibitive. Thank God we live in a rural area and not a city. Planning on providing these types things for people if it becomes necessary is where a portion of the emergency funds should be allocated.
I shudder when I think of places like Tokyo. I was stationed in Japan for a while, and I visited Tokyo. I went to get on their subway, and when the doors opened the mass of people flowed in through the doors...and someone shoved me from behind. I turned around ready to punch someone at 1st....and quickly learned they have people - wearing white gloves -whose job is to shove people into the train, to pack them like sardines. Yeah, no thanks! Not for me. Talk about a Coronavirus - or any illness - 'feeding frenzy' environment.

Also if nothing else and one doesn't have other things keep a bottle of 10% bleach solution on hand to sterilize surfaces you may have to touch like the gas pumps when filling your car. You can use it to spray hands too and then wipe with a paper towel. I keep a bottle of alcohol in my car and paper towels too.

I recommend you check out the CDC web site. The list of approved FILTERS are supposed to help. There are some products that are approved by NIOSH as an N95 respirator and also cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask. These products are referred to as 'Surgical N95 Respirators'. The CDC also states about these masks: "The N95 respirator is the most common of the seven types of particulate filtering facepiece respirators. This product filters at least 95% of airborne particles but is not resistant to oil."

I'm just passing along what the CDC says. I am not a doctor...I don't even play one on TV. Even if you decide to ignore the masks, their cite has a lot of great info and Coronavirus info / updates. Hope it helps.

You mean the gubberment provided bullshit put out by an agency to make it look like they have something to contribute so they can keep their jobs and funding?

Do you have any idea how small a virus is?

Does it make any logical sense to you that if this so called potential dangerous pandemic infection was all that real or dangerous that they would be quarantining potential carriers near some of the densest population centers in the nation?

Use your head for pity sake. You know what bullshit looks and smells like by now don't you?

Don't know about now but two weeks ago on Walmart website were selling the 8511 for I believe $36 for 5 in box. I have seen them more expensive on other sites.

You mean the gubberment provided bullshit put out by an agency to make it look like they have something to contribute so they can keep their jobs and funding?

Does it make any logical sense to you that if this so called potential dangerous pandemic infection was all that real or dangerous that they would be quarantining potential carriers near some of the densest population centers in the nation?

Use your head for pity sake. You know what bullshit looks and smells like by now don't you?
Where are the bio level four labs located?

Excellent tips - Also good idea to use antibacterial soap and water as hot as you can take it. In public, do stuff like punch elevator keys with your knuckle instead of the tip of your finger. And I keep a small travel-size bottle of Purell (or the like) in my car and my laptop bag when flying.

I believe it was said by the CDC that sanitizers had to be at least 60% alcohol to do any good.

Where are the bio level four labs located?

Federation of American Scientists :: US BSL Laboratories

Are you suggesting the size of a virus determines how deadly a virus is? Surely not....

Black Plague, Ebola, SARS, MERS, etc....they were no 'push overs'....

The news just reported that less than a dozen people being monitored for Coronavirus in NY has quickly turned into approx 700 people being monitored. Is it too late to try to move those 700 out of NY to quarantine them in.....what, North Dakota?

Do you realize the Coronavirus is contagious in its incubation period, when there are no symptoms?

Do you know it was reported by the WHO that the virus is changing and now can affect and be passed along by pets?

How are we going to identify people with Coronavirus who show no signs of symptoms to isolate them from others?

You make it sound so easy to identify, isolate, and quarantine those who have it / may be carrying it while at the same time proving how little you fully comprehend.

Forum List

Back