Confedrate history about race?

Slavery In The Civil War Era

The slave owners, for their part, were reluctant to send their bondsmen to the front for two reasons. First, they risked the loss of their most valuable property, and, second, because the men were usually overworked and mistreated, they frequently returned to their homes in very poor physical condition. Thus, the owners often contrived to send only their most unmanageable and therefore least marketable slaves to the army. During the war, threatening to send a slave to the front became the disciplinary equivalent of threatening to sell a slave farther South in antebellum days. Ironically, as the South's cause became more desperate, masters were increasingly reluctant to send their slaves to the military. Slavery was dying, yet those with the most to lose hung on tenaciously to their human property, thereby withholding the one remaining resource that might have saved their nation--and them.
The exigencies of war also finally settled the decades-old debate as to whether slaves could be used safely and efficiently in industry. The shortage of white manpower left the South with no other choice than to put slaves to work in its factories and mines. In the Tredegar Iron Works of Richmond alone, thousands of slaves were employed. The Augusta munitions plants of Georgia likewise were primarily staffed by bondsmen. Thousands of others labored in the ultimately futile effort to keep Southern rail lines operating. As with service on the front lines, this labor--especially in extractive industries like the coal mines and salt factories--was harsher than life on the plantation, and slaves resisted it if they could. Many made the long-delayed decision to run away when faced with such dire prospects.

Last edited:
Or perhaps they wanted to defend their homes and families from the northern troops who were robbing, raping, and murdering them.

Yeah they were fighting the people who wanted them to have freedom.

you people are insane

If you define freedom as being raped, robbed, or killed then I'd have to say yes. As for the northern troops wanting the slaves to have freedom, get real. Where do you think the south got the ideas for its Jim Crow laws? The north.

Such laws began with the Carolina codes late in the 17th century, imported from Barbados. Where do you come up with this stuff, bud?

Half a million slaves hotfooted for the Union lines, KK, during the war. Why? Because they wanted to be raped, killed, and robbed by the northern troops?

Yeah they were fighting the people who wanted them to have freedom.

you people are insane

If you define freedom as being raped, robbed, or killed then I'd have to say yes. As for the northern troops wanting the slaves to have freedom, get real. Where do you think the south got the ideas for its Jim Crow laws? The north.

Such laws began with the Carolina codes late in the 17th century, imported from Barbados. Where do you come up with this stuff, bud?

Half a million slaves hotfooted for the Union lines, KK, during the war. Why? Because they wanted to be raped, killed, and robbed by the northern troops?

Look up some northern laws that restricted the freedom of blacks long before the south implemented Jim Crow laws. For instance, the state of Illinois banning the emigration of blacks to the state. A law which Abraham Lincoln supported, by the way.

How many blacks could be counted among Sheridan's or Sherman's ranks?

KK, none of that supports the blacks being "raped, robbed, and murdered" by northern troops.

That is has been answered. Your "evidence" is insufficient. Half a million slaves went to northern lines to get away from the kindly, loving southern slave masters. Your still have not answered that. You understand the OP now is a fail.

thinking that black people fought a war to be able to stay slaves is the height of insanity

No one has ever suggested that the furniture of the attic in KK's head is arranged correctly.

That is has been answered. Your "evidence" is insufficient. Half a million slaves went to northern lines to get away from the kindly, loving southern slave masters. Your still have not answered that. You understand the OP now is a fail.

Answered what? Answered whether slaves ran to the north to escape slavery? I didn't know it was a question. Obviously this was the case, but northern laws made it pretty hard to define these former-slaves as free, if they weren't simply returned to the south.

thinking that black people fought a war to be able to stay slaves is the height of insanity

I would say thinking that anyone wouldn't want to fight an invader that was threatening what little property they had, and the lives and well-being of their family is the height of insanity.

Not too worry, KK. The 13 Amendment took care of that for them, for you, and for me. Don't worry about it. It's OK.

It's a possibility since they lived in a time when they did not have a voice. They could not speak up for themselves and the family dog was treated better than they were. So if the master told them they had to fight in that war, what would their answer be but, "Yeah, massah".?

A male slave was worth $1000 at the time....only a fool would treat such valuable property "like a dog".

Not too worry, KK. The 13 Amendment took care of that for them, for you, and for me. Don't worry about it. It's OK.

It certainly did. But to suggest that the war was fought to free slaves or that the northern states were some great haven of freedom for former-slaves or blacks in general is ridiculous. Also, to deny and ignore the crimes northern troops committed against slaves and other innocent southerners is appalling.

you are a southerner who was taught to minimize what the south did to black people.

you are a southerner who was taught to minimize what the south did to black people.

Actually I'm from Northeast Ohio, so the only thing I'm south of is Canada. As a northerner you must have been taught to minimize what the north did to black people, right?

It's amazing how most people forget or are simply ignorant about the negroes that had also fought and died for the Southern cause.

Confederacy.jpg

colored_2.jpg

Blacks fighting FOR slavery! Only you nostar/nologic..only you..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Incredible..astounding. Really dude...you need a shrink!

It certainly did. But to suggest that the war was fought to free slaves or that the northern states were some great haven of freedom for former-slaves or blacks in general is ridiculous. Also, to deny and ignore the crimes northern troops committed against slaves and other innocent southerners is appalling.

You mischaracterized the OP. Slavery caused the war, but the war was not fought to free slaves if that is what you mean. Lincoln was quite clear "union first" then worry about slavery. I think once the South fired on Ft Sumter, Lincoln decided immediately that he would end slavery if he could.

Forum List

Back