Comunitee.com is a Supporting Vendor!

Can an admin explain the relationship, casual and financial, between USMB, it's admins and this sponsor?

Do we get the option of opting out of that site using our information for it's own gain? I'm not a fan of anyone assuming they know what I do or don't like or even want thrown out somewhere for people associated with me to see/read. Sounds like an invasion of privacy.

Do we get the option of opting out of that site using our information for it's own gain? I'm not a fan of anyone assuming they know what I do or don't like or even want thrown out somewhere for people associated with me to see/read. Sounds like an invasion of privacy.
You opt IN. It's a news site that you can just read the articles if you so choose. You're free to just surf and read just like any other News site. It's not going to shoot out a post on your FB, Twitter etc just from you surfing and reading :)

That's fine, C_K and if anyone reads this thread they should be able to decide how to proceed, but count me out.
Hell I mentioned my tractor here, and I have a banner add at the top for Tractor Supply Corp.
To tell the truth, I have bought from them, but if someone here calls me a pedo, what can I expect at the top of the page?

Comunitee learns what you like and automatically shares it with your friends and followers. There's no need to click Follow, Tweet, Like, and Share for every story you find interesting. Comunitee does all the work behind the scenes and delivers you the most relevant, up-to-date news. Oh yeah, we don't choose your news topics for you, your news is always your news.
interesting

This totally sucks. It's like USMB inviting the NSA to spy on us. Are we being automatically sucked into this service?

You opt IN. It's a news site that you can just read the articles if you so choose. You're free to just surf and read just like any other News site. It's not going to shoot out a post on your FB, Twitter etc just from you surfing and reading :)

CK, I don't have a problem with site having sponsors or partners, I don't even care if you own part of it.

I just want to know so I can make an informed decision.

Comunitee learns what you like and automatically shares it with your friends and followers. There's no need to click Follow, Tweet, Like, and Share for every story you find interesting. Comunitee does all the work behind the scenes and delivers you the most relevant, up-to-date news. Oh yeah, we don't choose your news topics for you, your news is always your news.
interesting

This totally sucks. It's like USMB inviting the NSA to spy on us. Are we being automatically sucked into this service?

It seems we have to opt in by visiting the sponsor's site. Correct, C_K?

I also have a concern about what they will be "sharing" about me on the internet. I will have the authorities here know that I will not have any of my personal preferences or whatnot shared all over cyberspace without my permission. Any actions otherwise by this entity will be seen as an affront to and a breach of my (along with other posters) Fourth Amendment Rights.

I would also like to have assurances that my constitutional rights will not be violated in this process as well. As a member of USMB, I feel I have that right. If a moderator wishes to address this with me in private, they are free to do so.

Data sharing and targeted ads didn't exactly start here. Have you not been seeing all the banner ads related to whatever thread topic you've been visiting at the moment? The only difference I see here is that this one's being announced going in.

Just for the record, I don't think Constitutional rights have any bearing on what a private entity (i.e. this site) can or can't do.

interesting

Negative, you have to Sign Up or log in using FB. Strictly visiting their site is like going to any other News site or website. If people want the full experience they have to Register/Sign Up via their Sign up page or logging in via FB. If you want to connect it to Twitter, you can do that also via the button "connect to Twitter". I know you don't want to do that, I'm just explaining that the site is no different than any other News site unless you Sign Up.

It's like these forums. You can read and surf without registering. If you want to take advantage of certain "perks" you register.

Hopefully that makes sense?

I also have a concern about what they will be "sharing" about me on the internet. I will have the authorities here know that I will not have any of my personal preferences or whatnot shared all over cyberspace without my permission. Any actions otherwise by this entity will be seen as an affront to and a breach of my (along with other posters) Fourth Amendment Rights.

I would also like to have assurances that my constitutional rights will not be violated in this process as well. As a member of USMB, I feel I have that right. If a moderator wishes to address this with me in private, they are free to do so.

Data sharing and targeted ads didn't exactly start here. Have you not been seeing all the banner ads related to whatever thread topic you've been visiting at the moment? The only difference I see here is that this one's being announced going in.

Just for the record, I don't think Constitutional rights have any bearing on what a private entity (i.e. this site) can or can't do.

I have a Firefox addon called "Ghostery" which blocks banner ads from appearing on my browser. So I have no clue what appears on any thread I visit. Most likely I will not be partaking in or purchasing any of the services they offer, but nonetheless. Had this panned out like I wrongly thought it would, I was prepared to discuss this with Foundry. However, I was dissuaded from doing so. Naturally, this kind of stuff raises Fourth Amendment concerns due to the nature of the sponsor.

Since the nature of this entity has been duly explained, there is no need to worry about it.

Last edited:

I have a Firefox addon called "Ghostery" which blocks banner ads from appearing on my browser. So I have no clue what appears on any thread I visit. Most likely I will not be partaking in or purchasing any of the services they offer, but nonetheless. Had this panned out like I wrongly thought it would, I was prepared to discuss this with Foundry. However, I was dissuaded from doing so. Naturally, this kind of stuff raises Fourth Amendment concerns due to the nature of the sponsor.

Since the nature of this entity has been duly explained, there is no need to worry about it.

OK, so you're at peace with the vendor, cool.
On the second point though, again the Fourth Amendment, like all Amendments, applies to the government. Not to a private enterprise. So unless you're saying this Comunitee entity IS the government, there is no issue Constitutionally speaking.

Negative, you have to Sign Up or log in using FB. Strictly visiting their site is like going to any other News site or website. If people want the full experience they have to Register/Sign Up via their Sign up page or logging in via FB. If you want to connect it to Twitter, you can do that also via the button "connect to Twitter". I know you don't want to do that, I'm just explaining that the site is no different than any other News site unless you Sign Up.

It's like these forums. You can read and surf without registering. If you want to take advantage of certain "perks" you register.

It does. Thanks for the clarification. Hell, I don't do facebook or twitter. No one needs that much access to my private life.

It does. Thanks for the clarification. Hell, I don't do facebook or twitter. No one needs that much access to my private life.
Once you decided to wander around the World Wide Webz your whole private life went out the door.

On the second point though, again the Fourth Amendment, like all Amendments, applies to the government. Not to a private enterprise. So unless you're saying this Comunitee entity IS the government, there is no issue Constitutionally speaking.

The question is, Who has access to their data? If it's simply advertisers, fine, but if I'm a flunky hacker at DHS and try to purchase access calling myself XYZ Corp, what stops them from selling me info?

Once you decided to wander around the World Wide Webz your whole private life went out the door.

Uh oh, that's bad for us isn't it? Oh wait...

Yeah, still bad.

Of course, but I at least delude myself into thinking I have some privacy left.

Actually, if the Constitution applies to how the government treats us, it also applies to how other individuals treat other individuals, namely a corporation vs an individual. I personally see no difference.

Of course, but I at least delude myself into thinking I have some privacy left.

Ever tried running proxy? I have. But safe it to say I won't do it again. I found less complicated ways to maintain what semblance of privacy I have left.

Forum List

Back