Computer Has Become Extremely Slow All of a Sudden

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Before I call Computer Guy, I want to run this one by y'all for any suggestions you may have.

My wife's computer has gone nuts. All of a sudden, it takes forever to open a program. You can double click on anything on the desktop, and it may or may not open. It can take as long as 10 mintues for it to open, it may never open. Sometimes we can get IE to open up, most of the time not. If we can get IE to open, it is impossible to go anywhere. We can get the home page (Google) but that's about it.

The computer gives new meaning to the term, "extremely slow." The hard disk has not crashed - it still works. For example, every so often, she can open up a program and actually get it to work.

My first thought was to degrag the hard drive. I went in and found out it hits defrag on a weekly basis automatically.

The only program installed recently on her computer was Carbonite (see my thread extolling the virtues of Carbonite on this Forum). Carbonite is a cloud backup program that only puts a tiny piece of software onto the computer. I can't imagine that this is the cullprit.

What do you do when you have a computer that starts to act like this? Obviously, something is very wrong.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del...choose "Task Manager"...go to the "Processes" tab...order by "CPU"...what is the process that is eating memory?

If a Mac's not in your future - create an account and post your problem/issue here -http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

It takes a day or two for someone to get back to you, but once someone is "assigned" your problem - they stay with you. Many of these volunteers are overseas, so there's a day or so "lag" between you posting and what next step to take. I shit you not, back in the day when I ran Microsoft - these guys helped me out a lot.

Good luck.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del...choose "Task Manager"...go to the "Processes" tab...order by "CPU"...what is the process that is eating memory?

if you can't seem to do this as is try a reboot and try it first thing then watch it for something maxing out the system.

Another option - get it into the DOS mode.
At the C prompt type Format and hit return.
It's a charmer

As someone who has been on the Internet since before the WWW here's an interesting fact about the exponential growth of the Internet. The Internet was a geeky tool so scientists could pass astrological data around the world and that kind of thing. Some people used it to play text based games but still extremely small audience. Then some nerd somewhere realized that the binary streams could be used not only to pass images of far away stars but also some closer stars, some without their clothes on. The rest is, shall I say, history. Even if it is unwritten history. I guess that makes it prehistory.

Forum List

Back