Computer Has Become Extremely Slow All of a Sudden

Lots of info on this thread but the one solution I found most helpful was to ask one of my adult kids. It goes like this, "hey, this is dad, help!" A short time later I'm back on line. Simple, clean and cheap.

I think I fixed it. I deleted Carbonite. No change. So I did a system restore to a couple of days before installing Carbonite. Bingo! All is working fine.

I am going to run it a day or so to make sure it really is OK and, if it is, then I will reinstall Carbonite and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.

You couldn't get me to use Carbonite if you paid me. I use an external hard drive and set my system to back up on a regular basis. With all the cyber hacking going on, it's easier than you thing for someone on another continent to decide he/she wants to 'browse' through other folks' private info.

You couldn't get me to use Carbonite if you paid me. I use an external hard drive and set my system to back up on a regular basis. With all the cyber hacking going on, it's easier than you thing for someone on another continent to decide he/she wants to 'browse' through other folks' private info.

I understand your fears about Carbonite. I share them to a degree. My problem with backing up has been, simply, that I could never find a backup program that I could get to work properly. Carbonite is a snap to use, which is the main reason I went for it.

You know, there comes a point where one just has to bite the bullet and put it out there. Do you make purchases of any kind online?

I trust Carbonite. A number of professionals I know back up highly classified information with Carbonite.

This just in. Disregard everything I have said thus far. Here's the deal . . .

It occurred to me that my computer was acting like a computer that was completely out of memory. So I went into Task Manager and, guess what . . . 100% CPU usage going on. It turns out that the villain was McAfee, which was using 99% of memory. I uninstalled McAfee (never liked that son of a bitch anyway - too intrusive) and rebooted. (Why, all of a sudden, McAfee decided to hog so much memory on my wife's computer is beyond me. It had never done it before. I have McAfee on my computer and my CPU memory usage runs around 19%.)

Memory usage after doing that? 12%. All that was left to do was to put another anti-virus in there in place of McAfee. That would be Avast! I did some Internet checking on the best anti-virus programs, and Avast! was well toward the top. We'll see. It's my wife's computer, after all, and she doesn't go to high risk Net sites.

Several of you hit on this issue - had I paid attention when you posted it, we would have gotten to the solution a lot sooner.

So - all's well that ends well. Thank you all!

p.s. And to boot, I didn't have to shell out the big bucks to Computer Guy!

Last edited:
I would not jump on the virus bandwagon, if you have good malware protection. Of course almost any problem can be caused by some type of malware.

That's another thing - we pay a lot of money for McAfee, which is installed on both computers and which scans at regular intervals on a schedule. It also updates automatically. One would hope (and expect) that any virus would be detected and eliminated as fast as it came in - that's what we're paying for, right?

I canned McAfee for 3 reasons, still got viruses and it was notorious for having bad updates and being a hog.

Haven't finished reading through the thread, but if you are still having the problem, start the computer in safe mode then go to Free Online Virus Scan - Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA

scroll down the page past all the buying stuff to housecall and pick which version is best for your computer ie 32 or 64 bit and let it run. It will find just about everything there could possibly be. Good luck and if you do this let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:

It occurred to me that my computer was acting like a computer that was completely out of memory. So I went into Task Manager and, guess what . . . 100% CPU usage going on. It turns out that the villain was McAfee, which was using 99% of memory. I uninstalled McAfee (never liked that son of a bitch anyway - too intrusive) and rebooted. (Why, all of a sudden, McAfee decided to hog so much memory on my wife's computer is beyond me. It had never done it before. I have McAfee on my computer and my CPU memory usage runs around 19%.)

Memory usage after doing that? 12%. All that was left to do was to put another anti-virus in there in place of McAfee. That would be Avast! I did some Internet checking on the best anti-virus programs, and Avast! was well toward the top. We'll see. It's my wife's computer, after all, and she doesn't go to high risk Net sites.

Several of you hit on this issue - had I paid attention when you posted it, we would have gotten to the solution a lot sooner.

I use Avast and Malwarebytes as a backup. :thup:

My guess is that your McAfee contract had expired, and you needed to re-new to unleash the memory space.

Good news!

My guess is that your McAfee contract had expired, and you needed to re-new to unleash the memory space.

Yes, except I have three, home computers on the same McAfee account, and the other two are doing just fine. McAfee active on the other two, no memory hogging, no word from McAfee that they want more money.

I use Malawarebytes as a backup as well. So far, I like Avast. But I don't know how to schedule scans. I paid the $29.99 annual fee. Do you know how to schedule scans? PM me if you wish.

I use Malawarebytes as a backup as well. So far, I like Avast. But I don't know how to schedule scans. I paid the $29.99 annual fee. Do you know how to schedule scans? PM me if you wish.
I use the free version, it's always running in the background with active scans. I like to control all aspects of what happens on my computers so I never set up automatic scheduled scans so no, I have no idea, sorry. I even have all my updates set to notify me and I decide what and when to download and install, that way nothing starts running when I'm in the middle of something.
Check the Avast site, the how to should be there somewhere.
Another thing you might be interested is a driver updater like SlimDriver , I'm trying it out now. I bet most of her systems drivers are out of date. The one thing to be careful of when installing many of these programs is to select the advanced install option and unselect any checked boxes.

if all else fails BU everything and do a system recovery. what ya got to lose???

Forum List

Back