Wiping entire hard drive clean?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I've never done this and heard conflicting advice -- a friend of mine wants to wipe out everything on her hard drive, completely, no trace, no possible recovery, etc.

I understand it's not just as simple as "C: format". Anyone ever done this?

(If you haven't, it's prolly not a good idea to experiment with the intention of reporting results...)

TIA

Uhh...paranoid?
If he/she is that concerned then tell them to toss the drive in a river and buy a new one.
It isn't complicated.
A hammer would also work.
Gasoline....a screwdriver to remove the cover and simply break the thin disks on the inside.
If someone wants to "wipe out a drive with no possible way to recover" - then physically destroy it and buy a new one, they are not expensive.

Last edited:
The easiest way is to have your computer boot from CD/DVD drive, insert the disc with the operating system you want on it and reboot. When the installation setup starts it will give you formating/erasing options, select the one you want and continue with the installation.
One thing to keep in mind is some computers use proprietary drivers to make your hardware run properly so you will want that, either on a disc that came with the computer or you'll have to download them from the makers website and save them to a CD/DVD.
This is specifically true if you're installing a fresh Windows OS, if it's Linux Ubuntu or Mint then you won't have to worry about that.

Uhh...paranoid?
If he/she is that concerned then tell them to toss the drive in a river and buy a new one.
It isn't complicated.
Gasoline....a screwdriver to remove the cover and simply break the thin disks on the inside.
If someone wants to "wipe out a drive with no possible way to recover" - then physically destroy it and buy a new one, they are not expensive.

No, it's not paranoia. She's dying and wants to put affairs in order. This is one of them.

There's nothing operationally wrong with the unit; I just want the same procedure that a reseller of a refurbished unit would presumably use, preferably not a destructive procedure. She'd like someone else to be able to use it.

Ringel's post looks reasonable, thanks. I'll see if she's got the original disc.

The easiest way is to have your computer boot from CD/DVD drive, insert the disc with the operating system you want on it and reboot. When the installation setup starts it will give you formating/erasing options, select the one you want and continue with the installation.
One thing to keep in mind is some computers use proprietary drivers to make your hardware run properly so you will want that, either on a disc that came with the computer or you'll have to download them from the makers website and save them to a CD/DVD.
This is specifically true if you're installing a fresh Windows OS, if it's Linux Ubuntu or Mint then you won't have to worry about that.

Well...you can still recover data from a drive even after a full format.
They said "make it so it is impossible to recover anything" - well the only real way to do that is to physically destroy the drive itself.

I've never done this and heard conflicting advice -- a friend of mine wants to wipe out everything on her hard drive, completely, no trace, no possible recovery, etc.

(If you haven't, it's prolly not a good idea to experiment with the intention of reporting results...)

TIA

Hard Drives aren't that expensive, if there is truly sensitive information on the drive then physical disk destruction is always an option. Some small tools, remove the platen and destroy it with a hammer.

The alternative is to employe disk wipe software. Wiping is different then deleting. Normally when files are "deleted" the information remains, just the pointers to the locations are removed. That data can be recovered. Disk wiping on the other hand is an active process where random/garbage characters actively are written to each location so the data is unrecoverable. There are different standards for DOD & NSA type wipes where each location is overwritten 3, 5, or 7 times (IIRC).

So what your friend could to take the current drive and make it the second drive in a system that has another drive as a primary drive. It can be the same computer or another as long as another boot drive is available. Install the drive to be cleared as the second/slave drive. Delete all files (everything including data and operating system files), then run the disk wipe software from the primary drive. IIRC there is one minor risk with data permanence and that may be if the disk controller has quarantined certain sectors as questionable. In those rare cases the disk wipe software may not overwrite them. If we are talking a desktop, a lot of times there will be a second (or more drive slot). If it is a laptop there are replacement drives to be installed as the primary and then use an adapter to plug the old drive in to a USB port as an external drive.

>>>>

Last edited:

They said "make it so it is impossible to recover anything" - well the only real way to do that is to physically destroy the drive itself.

Now we're getting somewhere. This is the conflicting info I alluded to in the OP.

Would the instructions on this page be effective, you think?

TIA

I've wiped a hard drive. it's no big deal. just make sure you have a disc with all the drivers the maker of your PC installed. Reinstall the drivers and the operating system. In fact I believe just reinstalling the operating system will do the same thing.

Here's a good article

http://www.labnol.org/software/rebuild-computer-and-reinstall-windows/6130/

Uhh...paranoid?
It isn't complicated.

No, it's not paranoia. She's dying and wants to put affairs in order. This is one of them.

There's nothing operationally wrong with the unit; I just want the same procedure that a reseller of a refurbished unit would presumably use, preferably not a destructive procedure. She'd like someone else to be able to use it.

Ringel's post looks reasonable, thanks. I'll see if she's got the original disc.

A reseller of a refurbished unit is likely to reformat the drive and then reimage the operating system on the "clean" drive. As previously mentioned though, someone with the proper software tools could still recover some data because it wasn't really erased.

To erase the data and overwrite it can take hours for multipass wiping software so it's not economical for reseller/refurbisher, time is money so they are more likely to reformat and reimage.

>>>>

Uhh...paranoid?
It isn't complicated.

Give her our love and then smash it with a hammer. Perhaps she would like to do it. Depending how long she has had the computer it may not even be worth much to someone else. Computers are like that. People aren't.

TIA

I've wiped a hard drive. it's no big deal. just make sure you have a disc with all the drivers the maker of your PC installed. Reinstall the drivers and the operating system. In fact I believe just reinstalling the operating system will do the same thing.

Here's a good article

How to Rebuild your Computer and Reinstall Windows from Scratch

Sounds like the same thing Ringel05 said. The question to be resolved is, does this process wipe the actual data, or does it not?

I understand the difference between deleting and wiping clean; I format the SD cards on my media devices all the time for this reason.

Uhh...paranoid?
It isn't complicated.

A reseller of a refurbished unit is likely to reformat the drive and then reimage the operating system on the "clean" drive. As previously mentioned though, someone with the proper software tools could still recover some data because it wasn't really erased.

To erase the data and overwrite it can take hours for multipass wiping software so it's not economical for reseller/refurbisher, time is money so they are more likely to reformat and reimage.

>>>>

This process sounds like the one in the last link I posted. If that's what it takes we'll just do that. We have the time.

TIA

Here's a good article

How to Rebuild your Computer and Reinstall Windows from Scratch

Sounds like the same thing Ringel05 said. The question to be resolved is, does this process wipe the actual data, or does it not?

I understand the difference between deleting and wiping clean; I format the SD cards on my media devices all the time for this reason.

I'm pretty sure it's a claen wipe but then again I'm not an uber geek

With the recent advent of SATA HD's and now SSHD's, the old IDE HDDs are now obsolete so very few people are using them anymore. The only time someone would want to buy one of these is that if they have a very old computer that uses IDE connectors. With the speed at which they normally run (7200 rpm) they wear out rather quickly.
Considering all the factors involved, it's usually more cost-effective and efficient to just buy a new SATA/SSD and install the new OS and associated software and go forward from there.
That said, if the owner of the HDD is still determined to wipe all data from it, I'd say the most effective means is rather old fashioned, but extremely effective. Simply set it on top of the magnet in a large speaker and leave it there for a few minutes. The magnetic field of the speaker will destroy all data on the disc and make any retrieval of data virtually impossible.

7 times generally works.

With the recent advent of SATA HD's and now SSHD's, the old IDE HDDs are now obsolete so very few people are using them anymore. The only time someone would want to buy one of these is that if they have a very old computer that uses IDE connectors. With the speed at which they normally run (7200 rpm) they wear out rather quickly.
Considering all the factors involved, it's usually more cost-effective and efficient to just buy a new SATA/SSD and install the new OS and associated software and go forward from there.
That said, if the owner of the HDD is still determined to wipe all data from it, I'd say the most effective means is rather old fashioned, but extremely effective. Simply set it on top of the magnet in a large speaker and leave it there for a few minutes. The magnetic field of the speaker will destroy all data on the disc and make any retrieval of data virtually impossible.

Hey, I've got an industrial-size bulk tape eraser. I use it on my drier's license when it gets renewed. I could bring her that. Good idea. It would be particularly fitting since we worked in radio together.

Hey, I've got an industrial-size bulk tape eraser. I use it on my drier's license when it gets renewed. I could bring her that. Good idea. It would be particularly fitting since we worked in radio together.

The question is if you use a bulk eraser for your drier's license...

............................ What do you use for your washer license.

:eusa_whistle:

:eusa_angel:

>>>>

>>>>

OUCH. ery good. Damn you, letter-before-W ...!
I already repped you for the info. I owe you one.:redface:

Apparently I'm unable to type the letter v. It's all due to a trauma I suffered at the hands of a vicar. It's vexing.

>>>>

OUCH. ery good. Damn you, letter-before-W ...!
I already repped you for the info. I owe you one.:redface:

Apparently I'm unable to type the letter v. It's all due to a trauma I suffered at the hands of a vicar. It's vexing.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

>>>>

I know that, he said "conflicting advice" and "a friend wants" without qualifying what he wanted.

Forum List

Back