Complaint Suggests Obama Might Have Caught Wind of Blagojevich Dealings

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Barack Obama insists that he and his staff were not involved in the alleged schemes Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich cooked up to sell off the president-elect's vacant Senate seat.

But the timeline of activity outlined in the FBI's 76-page complaint against Blagojevich suggests Obama's team was aware that his home-state governor was playing political hardball in the weeks before his arrest.

That's because shortly after Blagojevich allegedly told his advisers, in an expletive-laced conference call, that he would not appoint Obama's pick to the Senate absent huge favors in return, Obama's apparent pick promptly dropped out of the running for the Senate and joined the new White House staff

Complaint Suggests Obama Might Have Caught Wind of Blagojevich Dealings - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

well, it's comforting to know he's not a clueless as he would have us believe innit?

Jarrett does seem to be the most intriguing link, though others have speculated about Emanuel knowing something.

Obama claims that he and his team have never discussed this with Blag, he has NOT claimed that he doesn't work with people who were more aware of what was going on. I think it stands to reason that in a place like DC where everyone knows everyone and people at least occasionally try to work with others (in other words the connections between people are probably not always a bad thing, and in any case they are unavoidable) you will find some linked chain back to Blago .... from any politician.

If people want to believe that Obama did not know about this and other questionable and illegal activities, then they have to believe that Obama is the dumbest person on the planet.

He never said he didn't know about it.

He said he was stunned when he read the affidavit. He said he and his team have never discussed it with Blago. That'different than saying he was unaware that there were shady dealings - it seems he knows fully well that Illinois has a shady political side.

I am not defending him, just pointing out the differences between what you said and what he said, because you seem bright and capable of appreciating those differences.

Last edited:
Some people claim it was Rahm who tipped off the feds about the alleged scheme..

He said he was stunned when he read the affidavit. He said he and his team have never discussed it with Blago. That'different than saying he was unaware that there were shady dealings - it seems he knows fully well that Illinois has a shady political side.

I am not defending him, just pointing out the differences between what you said and what he said, because you seem bright and capable of appreciating those differences.

I thought those were his exact words.. " I didn't know about it."

Obama would have nothing to gain by playing Blagojevich's game as Obama was well on his way to obtaining the highest office in the land. I fully expect Obama to have not had any corruption involvement in this. However, hopefully it brings to light his past corruption :badgrin:

Indeed. Parsing is the word. How to make another generation feel that nothing matters. Remember, it was the 'young' drawn to Obama. Much like the young of Kennedy and Clinton supporters.

Can we spell 'jaded'?

XVS Wrote:
Obama would have nothing to gain by playing Blagojevich's game as Obama was well on his way to obtaining the highest office in the land. I fully expect Obama to have not had any corruption involvement in this.

While I still think that the case against Obama is very slim, and I believe will probably go nowhere...I think you are wrong in your assertion that Obama not do this because of having "nothing to gain."

To get to where Obama is as fast as he has...like any politician, you can pretty much count on the fact that he has made some deals for future favors with many people. One of the people who was in consideration for the Senate seat was close with Obama, a member of his campaign staff, if I'm remembering correctly...and she just happened to withdraw her name right before the scandal broke...interesting.

As I said...I do not think that Obama will be found guilty of anything (whether he is or not...I dont think he will be found guilty of anything)...that being said...I think in politics (perhaps even more so in Chicago politics)...to rise as swiftly and successfully as Obama has...it does not surprise me that he would be involved in all sorts of interesting, sordid, or shady deals, legal or otherwise.

I thought those were his exact words.. " I didn't know about it."

I thought he said he didn't know about any conversations between his staff and Blago, or didn't know a number of other things. I didn't think he said "I didn't know about ....:" Blago's corruption, or this pay to play thing, ... but I could be wrong.

It looks pretty much like he knew *something* a few weeks ago, given how fast Jarrett was pulled out of the mix. If he said "I didn't know about it" specifically meaning the shady dealings, especially if he said that referencing the time frame since Jarrett was pulled, I want to know. Because that smells fishy. Link?

And fwiw I am keeping that tv news item in mind, that you posted a day or two ago, that hasn't been satisfactorily cleared up as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Indeed. Parsing is the word. How to make another generation feel that nothing matters. Remember, it was the 'young' drawn to Obama. Much like the young of Kennedy and Clinton supporters.

Can we spell 'jaded'?

I don't follow.

I've been listening to his news conferences and so on, am glad he will make the records public about contacts between his team an Blago, etc.

I sure wasn't trying to say anything sleazy, but it almost sounds like youa reimplying that I am contributing to a problem.

You lost me, though, so maybe I'll read through the thread from the beginning.....

XVS Wrote:

While I still think that the case against Obama is very slim, and I believe will probably go nowhere...I think you are wrong in your assertion that Obama not do this because of having "nothing to gain."

Right on sister, he has a lot to gain with a friendly pick for the senate seat, you'd think he'd definitely want a pick that will support his desired reforms, and since Blago seemed to not like him it is easy to imagine that there'd be tension there.

XVS Wrote:

To get to where Obama is as fast as he has...like any politician, you can pretty much count on the fact that he has made some deals for future favors with many people. One of the people who was in consideration for the Senate seat was close with Obama, a member of his campaign staff, if I'm remembering correctly...and she just happened to withdraw her name right before the scandal broke...interesting.

As I said...I do not think that Obama will be found guilty of anything (whether he is or not...I dont think he will be found guilty of anything)...that being said...I think in politics (perhaps even more so in Chicago politics)...to rise as swiftly and successfully as Obama has...it does not surprise me that he would be involved in all sorts of interesting, sordid, or shady deals, legal or otherwise.
Perhaps if it wasn't known that he was under investigation. I just don't see Obama engaging in such stupidity. Corruption when no one is looking... absolutely.

"Complaint Suggests Obama Might Have Caught Wind of Blagojevich Dealings"

IMO ........... without a doubt. Obama, though he delegates, he is also a bit of a micro manager and control freak. So he knew and frankly, it's good that he knew.

However, IMO, I don't think (based on anything said thus far) that Obama or his staff played any role in any of this. In fact, I think Obama took internal steps to see that didn't happen and that is a good thing.

You don't swim in that pool, at the level which he did and not know the players and not know what is going on, most of all, when you have so much on the line.

From everything thus far, I think Obama has handled this very well.

Forum List

Back