College degree

Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.
What is Health Information Management?
Do you sit behind a desk and deny sick people care?
Or do you change bedpans?
What exactly do you do?
Protecting patients information from hacking,making sure information is correct. Pretty much cyber tech for the healthcare industry
Is this thread real? A Holocaust denier wants to get a history degree?
I like FACTS not FICTION....:) I will stick to making history a hobby instead of a career. I couldn't deal with some smart ass kid mouthing off I would smack the shit out of them so not getting a degree in it...considering strongly getting a paralegal degree and going to law school....I have dealt with the court system and know 100% the difference a REAL lawyer makes vs a court appointed clown.

Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.
What exactly do you do?
Protecting patients information from hacking,making sure information is correct. Pretty much cyber tech for the healthcare industry
I like FACTS not FICTION....:) I will stick to making history a hobby instead of a career. I couldn't deal with some smart ass kid mouthing off I would smack the shit out of them ....

No, you wouldn’t, so STFU with that nonsense. You’re just another big mouth who wouldn’t last a week.

What exactly do you do?
I like FACTS not FICTION....:) I will stick to making history a hobby instead of a career. I couldn't deal with some smart ass kid mouthing off I would smack the shit out of them so not getting a degree in it...considering strongly getting a paralegal degree and going to law school....I have dealt with the court system and know 100% the difference a REAL lawyer makes vs a court appointed clown.

You'd assault a kid? Classy!

What exactly do you do?

All talk. He’d wet himself.

Even kids with issues deserve to be treated with respect unless they decide they don’t want it.

What exactly do you do?

That's why we have so many leftists like you. Not enough ass whippings as a child...you WHINED and got your way just like every other leftist.

iu

What exactly do you do?

That's why we have so many leftists like you. Not enough ass whippings as a child...you WHINED and got your way just like every other leftist.

iu

Nope, and not even a good try at a strawman argument.

What exactly do you do?

iu

I wasn't asking your opinion. I was making a factual statement.

What exactly do you do?

iu

You wouldn't know a factual statement if it had a dick and slapped you in the face with it.

I grew up in a time when kids were told to get out of the house and if they came home before dinner, it better be raining or they better be sick, otherwise we'd get punished.

Bragging about having a lack of responsibility or class like you have, by saying you'd smack a student, has nothing to do with parents... it has to do with you, and your lack of a moral compass.

I got a degree in history and English. Then I went to law school.

I got degrees in philosophy and political science then I shed all my worldly belongings and set out to walk the earth.
I'm too old to do stuff like that anymore. I need comfort. A pillow. Blankets. Some place warm.

That’s why you do it when you’re young.
Exactly. I moved all over the place. From Ygnacio Valley to Santa Cruz to San Francisco to Ashland Oregon to Salt Lake City to Oklahoma to New Orleans to Germany and now Chicago and here I stayed.
And I love it here.

What exactly do you do?

iu

Hmm, Republicans always see violence as the way to solve problems. Maybe that's why Red States are such economic basket cases. I wonder if the two are related?

iu

Hmm, Republicans always see violence as the way to solve problems. Maybe that's why Red States are such economic basket cases. I wonder if the two are related?
And yet the most violent cities are ALL in blue states. St Louis,NYC,Chicago,Los Angeles...I can continue.

A buddy's father was a history professor at a Maryland university. Before his father started teaching, he served about six years with the State Department--all of it in South Vietnam during the mid 60's. My buddy still suspects his father of having worked for the CIA. Who knows? Ice cold dude though. Myself? I took a Civil Engineering track to a Master's through Army Continuing Education while on active duty, using the ACF and G.I. Bill, with a co-major in Military History. Back then, early to mid-90's--the total amount provided by the Army for school was $25, 000 and some change. Have you considered enlisting or doing ROTC?

A few years back I enrolled in a psychology program at a local community college just to spend more time with my fiancé who had also gone back to school (in reality, I couldn't let her get smarter than me). A couple of years later I transferred to a Baltimore university to pursue a political psychology, political philosophy track which I plan to follow all the way. With luck I'll be less than senior citizen age before I finish up. My long term career goal, at the head of over 27 years in uniform, changes from time to time but tends to cycle back. The fiancé wants me to pursue a private clinical practice, yet to me that sounds boring, frankly. Sometimes I want to run for some kind of office--the Masons seem to think I'm swell so there's that; other times I think about teaching--eventually, after I retire from the Army.

Whatever you decide, do try to see it through to conclusion. I am 45 and back in school, and enjoy the hell out of it, in principal--even if not so much in the prevailing youth pop culture.

You'll have far better job prospects in either Healthcare info or management than you'll have with a History or PoliSci degree.
Unfortunately I agree...sucks because I have no interest in healthcare and a lot of interest in history and political science...it is what it is.

You'll have far better job prospects in either Healthcare info or management than you'll have with a History or PoliSci degree.

If you get a degree in PoliSci or just about any of the social sciences you need to coupled it with a second major or a masters in something like communications, government administration, library science, etc. You will then have a real career path. The only person I know with a degree in PoliSci worked for practically nothing for political candidate then went back school.

A masters in Library Science is a good choice for a lot of people with social science degrees. Since there are no undergraduate programs in Library Science, you probably would not have to take a lot of undergraduate classes so you could get a masters degree in just one year. There are more jobs than you might think as a librarian. As well as public libraries almost every large company and government agency has a library. The pay is not great but it can lead to interesting career opportunities such as information management and Information systems design which pays good money. One of the biggest problems in large companies not to mention government, is building information systems so all the pockets of information throughout the organization can be indexed and shared which relates quite well to library cataloging.
Library science is what I originally wanted to do but a stupid masters degree to shelve books!? My god..I have been around computers my entire life and I could do a librarians job right now if given a chance but 6 years to become a librarian is just outrageous and it sucks because its a job I would truly enjoy.

If you get a degree in PoliSci or just about any of the social sciences you need to coupled it with a second major or a masters in something like communications, government administration, library science, etc. You will then have a real career path. The only person I know with a degree in PoliSci worked for practically nothing for political candidate then went back school.

A masters in Library Science is a good choice for a lot of people with social science degrees. Since there are no undergraduate programs in Library Science, you probably would not have to take a lot of undergraduate classes so you could get a masters degree in just one year. There are more jobs than you might think as a librarian. As well as public libraries almost every large company and government agency has a library. The pay is not great but it can lead to interesting career opportunities such as information management and Information systems design which pays good money. One of the biggest problems in large companies not to mention government, is building information systems so all the pockets of information throughout the organization can be indexed and shared which relates quite well to library cataloging.

There is a big and growing demand for Data Scientists, but that takes real math skills.

I am horrible at math lol. I used mathway website just to pass my college alegbra class with a C.

Unfortunately I agree...sucks because I have no interest in healthcare and a lot of interest in history and political science...it is what it is.

Library science is what I originally wanted to do but a stupid masters degree to shelve books!? My god..I have been around computers my entire life and I could do a librarians job right now if given a chance but 6 years to become a librarian is just outrageous and it sucks because its a job I would truly enjoy.

There is a big and growing demand for Data Scientists, but that takes real math skills.

I am horrible at math lol. I used mathway website just to pass my college alegbra class with a C.
There is far more to library work than shelving books. In fact, few librarians shelve books these days. They manage libraries and information. Today library science is about information, not books. Librarians acquire, organize, and disseminate information.

Information architecture is a fast growing non-library field that is a good match for librarians looking to expand their career horizons. At its core, the field of Information Architecture is concerned with helping people (users) find what they’re looking for, typically in an online or application environment which is what research librarians do manually. Information architects are often involve in designing and specifying systems to bring information to user.

A problem all to common in large corporations is finding needed information, not just data which may be spread over thousands of locations scattered all over the world.

Last edited:

What exactly do you do?
Education in history and a dozen other humanities and social sciences are great background for people pulling in 7 and 8 digit salaries but not worth a damn for those struggling to pay off a college loan and support a family.

I got a degree in history and English. Then I went to law school.

I got degrees in philosophy and political science then I shed all my worldly belongings and set out to walk the earth.
I'm too old to do stuff like that anymore. I need comfort. A pillow. Blankets. Some place warm.

That’s why you do it when you’re young.
Exactly. I moved all over the place. From Ygnacio Valley to Santa Cruz to San Francisco to Ashland Oregon to Salt Lake City to Oklahoma to New Orleans to Germany and now Chicago and here I stayed.
And I love it here.

I spent the better part of a decade traveling and working my way through China, Japan, and South Korea. I would arrive in a new city, find a job somehow, and set out to learn the people, traditions, faiths, and martial arts of the area. Stay for a year or two, learn as much as I could and meet as many people as I could, then move on.

What exactly do you do?
Education in history and a dozen other humanities and social sciences are great background for people pulling in 7 and 8 digit salaries but not worth a damn for those struggling to pay off a college loan and support a family.

The biggest problem is like 30+ years ago you could go to college and get a degree in anything and still wind up in a good job after college regardless if it had anything to do with your major. Back then only the top kids went to college and you needed goid SAT scores to get in. So back then an employer would even someone with a degree in theatre as a manager right out of college because back then if you had a degree you were labeled smart and capable and employers knew only the brightest students could go to college. Since there are more college grads and any average Joe with just average SAT scores can get a degree now it really devalued the college degree.

Students who go to college lose sight of why they are going to begin with which is to make more money. If vocational school an apprenticeship or a trade school will lead to more money then getting a history degree from an unranked university with low SAT requirements they chose the degree anyway because they need that degree just to satisfy their parents ego.

I know a guy with degree in music from Harvard landed 100k yr job in business out college. Would not been same if he went to Robert Morris college.

What exactly do you do?

The biggest problem is like 30+ years ago you could go to college and get a degree in anything and still wind up in a good job after college regardless if it had anything to do with your major. Back then only the top kids went to college and you needed goid SAT scores to get in. So back then an employer would even someone with a degree in theatre as a manager right out of college because back then if you had a degree you were labeled smart and capable and employers knew only the brightest students could go to college. Since there are more college grads and any average Joe with just average SAT scores can get a degree now it really devalued the college degree.

Students who go to college lose sight of why they are going to begin with which is to make more money. If vocational school an apprenticeship or a trade school will lead to more money then getting a history degree from an unranked university with low SAT requirements they chose the degree anyway because they need that degree just to satisfy their parents ego.

I know a guy with degree in music from Harvard landed 100k yr job in business out college. Would not been same if he went to Robert Morris college.
The two major factors behind the drive for a college education are automation and the global economy. 60% of lost jobs in manufacturing between 1950 and 2000 is attributed to automation. A Ball State University study found that 87% of the job losses in manufacturing from 2000 to 2010 were due to automation and most of the remainder were due to globalization and trade. To a lesser degree we have see job losses in construction and service sector due to automation. However, in all sectors, the tend is toward more automation. By 2024, it's projected that that over 20 million people will lose their jobs due to automation.

No wonder parents are pushing their kids into college. Unfortunately, that is just going to lead to more highly educated low income workers. I blame this on the economic studies in 70's and 80's which foresaw a prosperous working class if we could just provided enough higher education for everyone.

Forum List

Back