College degree

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.

This is what a nephew who is doing that told me last year, after a career in the Navy.

History or Government means a teaching degree in HS or JHS, or a Masters at least to being adjunct in two or more colleges near you.

If you do a Masters in one, do 18 grad hours in the other, and you will be hired FT within one to three years of adjunct.

Cut it down by a year if you do History/English or Government/English.

Hide your fascism in interviews.

If you weren’t such a worthless fucking douche bag I would give you advice on this matter. But ...

History and Poly Sci degrees tend to go into academia (especially history).

History and Poly Sci degrees tend to go into academia (especially history).

He needs to stick with his natural abilities and go into waste management. The OP is a piece of trash.

This is what a nephew who is doing that told me last year, after a career in the Navy.

History or Government means a teaching degree in HS or JHS, or a Masters at least to being adjunct in two or more colleges near you.

If you do a Masters in one, do 18 grad hours in the other, and you will be hired FT within one to three years of adjunct.

History or Government degree = / = "teaching" degree. It's a typical pathway toward teaching certification, but not a degree. Depending on the state you're in a bachelor's and passing a series of tests is all that's needed for a temporary certification (this was the path I followed, but not a history or poly sci degree). You then have to take lots of training sessions that supplement your lack of an education degree.

Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.

Biz admin, accounting minor, music minor.

Teaching could be a very rewarding job for you. Especially History. The kids nowadays are really getting hosed when it comes to learning about history; and government. You could make a positive impact, and possibly counter act some of the liberal, union backed agenda. But your going to be surrounded by shitstains for coworkers. Not beating them to death just might prove to be the most challenging aspect.

History and/or Politcal Science BA opens the doors of Law Schools.
That I would LOVE to do! I would help people who can't afford REAL attorney's when dealing with CPS/DFCS etc..I know how much a difference a real lawyer vs a court appointed schmuck can do in those cases.

History or Government degree = / = "teaching" degree. It's a typical pathway toward teaching certification, but not a degree. Depending on the state you're in a bachelor's and passing a series of tests is all that's needed for a temporary certification (this was the path I followed, but not a history or poly sci degree). You then have to take lots of training sessions that supplement your lack of an education degree.
Alternative certification is a tough way to go, but it will save time for certification and money, while you are working.

Many do not last past a month or two, so that's a good thing in that it is not a long period and lots of money wasted. It's hard on the kids.

Alternative certification is a tough way to go, but it will save time for certification and money, while you are working.

Many do not last past a month or two, so that's a good thing in that it is not a long period and lots of money wasted. It's hard on the kids.

I got my permanent certification via alternative certification and I disagree with your analysis of it.

Teaching could be a very rewarding job for you. Especially History. The kids nowadays are really getting hosed when it comes to learning about history; and government. You could make a positive impact, and possibly counter act some of the liberal, union backed agenda. But your going to be surrounded by shitstains for coworkers. Not beating them to death just might prove to be the most challenging aspect.

Not true in my experience. There's a big difference between a high school staff and a university staff. While there are more liberal teachers, in my experience it's probably 65/35, there are many more conservative high school teachers than you think there are. In regards to history (I teach English), a teacher's job is to teach the curriculum that they're given and supplement when allowed and necessary. If you have a problem with the actually content taught, I assure you that teachers have a bigger problem with it than you do. You really think teachers want to lose autonomy over the content (not standards mind you).

Unions don't construct a curriculum, your local school district does, there is no such thing as a national curriculum or even a state curriculum (at least in my state), there of course are state standards.

With all due respect your post shows you don't have a solid foundation in how education is run. For example if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum, then you know next to nothing.

Not true in my experience. There's a big difference between a high school staff and a university staff. While there are more liberal teachers, in my experience it's probably 65/35, there are many more conservative high school teachers than you think there are. In regards to history (I teach English), a teacher's job is to teach the curriculum that they're given and supplement when allowed and necessary. If you have a problem with the actually content taught, I assure you that teachers have a bigger problem with it than you do. You really think teachers want to lose autonomy over the content (not standards mind you).

Unions don't construct a curriculum, your local school district does, there is no such thing as a national curriculum or even a state curriculum (at least in my state), there of course are state standards.

With all due respect your post shows you don't have a solid foundation in how education is run. For example if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum, then you know next to nothing.
With all due respect; you read tons of things into your response, that I never even addressed. For an English teacher that was a rather disappointing display, of crafting a relevant response, to the information offered. Came off as more of a springboard to launch a straw man from...

With all due respect; you read tons of things into your response, that I never even addressed. For an English teacher that was a rather disappointing display, of crafting a relevant response, to the information offered. Came off as more of a springboard to launch a straw man from...

Which parts of my post was off-topic? The unions, curriculum/standards, teacher political affiliation, high school staff, all of which you brought up? You were factually incorrect, deal with it. Do you know what a strawman argument actually is, or is it just a buzzword you used?

-public school teacher that doesn't vote Democrat

History and/or Politcal Science BA opens the doors of Law Schools.

I'll share that with my daughter.

She graduated from one of the top 10 law schools in the country and passed the bar on the first try.

Her undergraduate degree was in Mathematics. She decided to go into the Air Force as a JAG.

;)

.>>>>

Forum List

Back