College degree

Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.
Teaching could be a very rewarding job for you. Especially History. The kids nowadays are really getting hosed when it comes to learning about history; and government. You could make a positive impact, and possibly counter act some of the liberal, union backed agenda. But your going to be surrounded by shitstains for coworkers. Not beating them to death just might prove to be the most challenging aspect.

Not true in my experience. There's a big difference between a high school staff and a university staff. While there are more liberal teachers, in my experience it's probably 65/35, there are many more conservative high school teachers than you think there are. In regards to history (I teach English), a teacher's job is to teach the curriculum that they're given and supplement when allowed and necessary. If you have a problem with the actually content taught, I assure you that teachers have a bigger problem with it than you do. You really think teachers want to lose autonomy over the content (not standards mind you).

Unions don't construct a curriculum, your local school district does, there is no such thing as a national curriculum or even a state curriculum (at least in my state), there of course are state standards.

With all due respect your post shows you don't have a solid foundation in how education is run. For example if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum, then you know next to nothing.

I've been teaching for well over 20 years in the public schools, and yes I'm a conservative. I would say first that we need good solid teachers more than ever. However, secondly, I would not advise anyone to go into teaching unless they feel very passionate about it. It's difficult enough these days even if you know it's the career for you. If you're on the fence I don't know how you'd do it.

This is what keeps me up at night. I'm not overwhelmed in my position, thank God. I have a great school, good kids, good parents, a good admin. I look at these young teachers and wonder how they're going to last thirty years with what we're facing now. Teachers cannot both raise AND teach children, and then be blamed when we fail. We are not actually Jesus Christ.

But anyway, that's a topic for another day.

In one district I taught in, I saw more than three or four new teachers, kids fresh out of college, literally run crying from the building in the middle of the day never to return. Some people do not understand what the job entails.

Anyone here with a degree in History or Political Science? What did you do with those degrees?

I am in college for Health Information Management and it was not even in the top 10 of things I wanted to go in to but it offered a chance at a good career etc...some of these classes are so asinine and over the top ON TOP of the fact they are for them to profit off of me and NOT something I will use in my career I am considering switching to Healthcare Management OR switching schools and going for a bachelors in History or Political Science but I am worried about what jobs I could get in those fields.
What you graduate in is only the beginning of your career. The average person graduating from college today is likely to have 5 career changes and 20 jobs changes. I know someone with a Politician Science degree that got involved in political polling. Got an MBA and is now a manager at Nielsen. My brother got a degree in education and a master's in history. After 5 years teaching, he started selling life insurance. He went on to become an investment adviser and did quite well. I have a relative that got a degree in anthropology and a master's in library science. After a few years working in public libraries he got into the private sector doing library work. He got interested in information systems design, took some additional course work and is now working for Google.

If you really love something like History, go for it but remember you'll probably need a masters and you probably will start off teaching. And education in history is excellent preparation for careers in law, journalism, public relations, technical writing, fundraising, administration, government service, etc.

Teaching could be a very rewarding job for you. Especially History. The kids nowadays are really getting hosed when it comes to learning about history; and government. You could make a positive impact, and possibly counter act some of the liberal, union backed agenda. But your going to be surrounded by shitstains for coworkers. Not beating them to death just might prove to be the most challenging aspect.

Not true in my experience. There's a big difference between a high school staff and a university staff. While there are more liberal teachers, in my experience it's probably 65/35, there are many more conservative high school teachers than you think there are. In regards to history (I teach English), a teacher's job is to teach the curriculum that they're given and supplement when allowed and necessary. If you have a problem with the actually content taught, I assure you that teachers have a bigger problem with it than you do. You really think teachers want to lose autonomy over the content (not standards mind you).

Unions don't construct a curriculum, your local school district does, there is no such thing as a national curriculum or even a state curriculum (at least in my state), there of course are state standards.

With all due respect your post shows you don't have a solid foundation in how education is run. For example if you don't know the difference between a set of standards and a curriculum, then you know next to nothing.

I've been teaching for well over 20 years in the public schools, and yes I'm a conservative. I would say first that we need good solid teachers more than ever. However, secondly, I would not advise anyone to go into teaching unless they feel very passionate about it. It's difficult enough these days even if you know it's the career for you. If you're on the fence I don't know how you'd do it.

This is what keeps me up at night. I'm not overwhelmed in my position, thank God. I have a great school, good kids, good parents, a good admin. I look at these young teachers and wonder how they're going to last thirty years with what we're facing now. Teachers cannot both raise AND teach children, and then be blamed when we fail. We are not actually Jesus Christ.

But anyway, that's a topic for another day.
Agree 100%. Teaching is not a field anyone should go into unless they really want to teach. I've taught in adult education and a bit in public schools. It's not an easy job and you will never get rich teaching, but it can certainly be rewarding.

History and political science bad choices. Healthcare and medical better path. After a Bachelors and Masters degree in two easy degrees Business and Education my best advice from my college mistake is don't get the easy degrees anyone can earn that won't lead to jobs. Go after a harder degree in the healthcare field like nusring, a medical technician, a medical coder, EMT, etc.

History and political science bad choices. Healthcare and medical better path. After a Bachelors and Masters degree in two easy degrees Business and Education my best advice from my college mistake is don't get the easy degrees anyone can earn that won't lead to jobs. Go after a harder degree in the healthcare field like nusring, a medical technician, a medical coder, EMT, etc.

That is some stupid advice right there.

That is some stupid advice right there.

I just think he is on the right path doing something healthcare related like health information management.

Everyone I know who went to college for a medical or healthcare field got jobs after graduating in their field of study.

I know a lot of education majors, political science majors, history majors, business majors that could not land a decent paying job or a job at all after graduating.

Anything medical from what I have observed has a much higher probability of employment and a decent job after college.

I am still in college for the HIM degree but every class I take I lose more and more interest in the major. I am considering switching to Political Science OR staying in same school and switching to healthcare management....I just don't know yet...personally wish I could say to hell with it and find a truck driving job but between no one really hiring for Class B driver and my driving record its hard to find.

History and/or Politcal Science BA opens the doors of Law Schools.

I'll share that with my daughter.

She graduated from one of the top 10 law schools in the country and passed the bar on the first try.

Her undergraduate degree was in Mathematics. She decided to go into the Air Force as a JAG.

;)

.>>>>

Good for her! Sounds like a real gem.

I am a retired aerospace company divisional Engineering Director.

During my 30 year career I worked with many lawyers. Of course these were corporate lawyers, not ambulance chaser.

I found out that the few with undergraduate degrees in the science, engineering or math were much more analytical and precise than the liberal arts majors. It think they were better lawyers.

I am still in college for the HIM degree but every class I take I lose more and more interest in the major. I am considering switching to Political Science OR staying in same school and switching to healthcare management....I just don't know yet...personally wish I could say to hell with it and find a truck driving job but between no one really hiring for Class B driver and my driving record its hard to find.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. More recent research shows the number of jobs by 40 will be closer to 12 to 14. The average graduate will have 3 changes of career.

Having had over a dozen jobs in at least 3 totally different careers, I think the chances are very good, you will have at least one career change probably more. A career counselor might be of some help but sometimes you have to just jump in try something because that's often the only way you will find out what's right for you.

In other words, you don't really know where the road will lead you (unless you are incredibly boring), so prepare yourself as best you can for all possible terrain and develop crucial resourcefulness.

In other words, you don't really know where the road will lead you (unless you are incredibly boring), so prepare yourself as best you can for all possible terrain and develop crucial resourcefulness.
The most important things I learned in college didn't come out any text book:
  • Living independently but with others.
  • Taking responsibility, studying on my own and managing time.
  • Networking, and working with people much different from myself.
  • Learning how to solve problems, research, and most important the ability to stay focused.
I got a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering, worked for 4 years in the field then when back to school and changed careers but I never for one minute regretted the years I spent spent in Engineering.

You'll have far better job prospects in either Healthcare info or management than you'll have with a History or PoliSci degree.

You'll have far better job prospects in either Healthcare info or management than you'll have with a History or PoliSci degree.

If you get a degree in PoliSci or just about any of the social sciences you need to coupled it with a second major or a masters in something like communications, government administration, library science, etc. You will then have a real career path. The only person I know with a degree in PoliSci worked for practically nothing for political candidate then went back school.

A masters in Library Science is a good choice for a lot of people with social science degrees. Since there are no undergraduate programs in Library Science, you probably would not have to take a lot of undergraduate classes so you could get a masters degree in just one year. There are more jobs than you might think as a librarian. As well as public libraries almost every large company and government agency has a library. The pay is not great but it can lead to interesting career opportunities such as information management and Information systems design which pays good money. One of the biggest problems in large companies not to mention government, is building information systems so all the pockets of information throughout the organization can be indexed and shared which relates quite well to library cataloging.

If you get a degree in PoliSci or just about any of the social sciences you need to coupled it with a second major or a masters in something like communications, government administration, library science, etc. You will then have a real career path. The only person I know with a degree in PoliSci worked for practically nothing for political candidate then went back school.

A masters in Library Science is a good choice for a lot of people with social science degrees. Since there are no undergraduate programs in Library Science, you probably would not have to take a lot of undergraduate classes so you could get a masters degree in just one year. There are more jobs than you might think as a librarian. As well as public libraries almost every large company and government agency has a library. The pay is not great but it can lead to interesting career opportunities such as information management and Information systems design which pays good money. One of the biggest problems in large companies not to mention government, is building information systems so all the pockets of information throughout the organization can be indexed and shared which relates quite well to library cataloging.

There is a big and growing demand for Data Scientists, but that takes real math skills.

Class A driver OTR trucking you can have not a great driving record and still get in as long as nothing major in past 3 years like DUI, rollover, or an accident leading to death or serious bodily injury. Even with that in trucking school they still were hiring guys with DUIs and criminal records.

I guess lawyer is one path with political science majors but I would only suggest that to a very talented individual. A relative of mine is a lawyer but he is a member of mensa and was labelled a gifted student growing up. I never considered that path since I was always just average. I got a Bachelors in Business and Masters in Education with teaching license mainly because I am just average and those were easy majors. Of course now I drive a truck for a living.

I honestly recommend healthcare to any college student. I know mant just average ability nurses who worked their butt off for great grades and got great paying nursing jobs. Havent met just average ability lawyers.

Last edited:

Class A driver OTR trucking you can have not a great driving record and still get in as long as nothing major in past 3 years like DUI, rollover, or an accident leading to death or serious bodily injury. Even with that in trucking school they still were hiring guys with DUIs and criminal records.

I guess lawyer is one path with political science majors but I would only suggest that to a very talented individual. A relative of mine is a lawyer but he is a member of mensa and was labelled a gifted student growing up. I never considered that path since I was always just average. I got a Bachelors in Business and Masters in Education with teaching license mainly because I am just average and those were easy majors. Of course now I drive a truck for a living.

I honestly recommend healthcare to any college student. I know mant just average ability nurses who worked their butt off for great grades and got great paying nursing jobs. Havent met just average ability lawyers.

Really? There are lots of them.

If you're speaking of healthcare delivery, doctors, nurses, etc, it's certainly not for everyone. In my family there are several people in that field. I can say with some confidence that to do that kind of work, you need to have a sincere desire to help others. What patients want from their doctors is their attention and their compassion. Those are the ones with crowded waiting rooms and the ones people recommend.

A lot of people look at healthcare administration as a sure path to a good job in the booming healthcare field. It is not. The big demand in healthcare is for people that delivery the services, such as doctors, nurses, and technicians, and those with specialized skills, not people that push paper. My wife was an RN, supervisor, and a manager in a large hospital. She got a masters in hospital administration while she was floor nurse. She moved up to a charge nurse, supervisor, and then into administration.

There are no easy paths to good jobs, unless your daddy owns the business.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I agree...sucks because I have no interest in healthcare and a lot of interest in history and political science...it is what it is.

Library science is what I originally wanted to do but a stupid masters degree to shelve books!? My god..I have been around computers my entire life and I could do a librarians job right now if given a chance but 6 years to become a librarian is just outrageous and it sucks because its a job I would truly enjoy.

There is a big and growing demand for Data Scientists, but that takes real math skills.

I am horrible at math lol. I used mathway website just to pass my college alegbra class with a C.

Unfortunately I agree...sucks because I have no interest in healthcare and a lot of interest in history and political science...it is what it is.

Library science is what I originally wanted to do but a stupid masters degree to shelve books!? My god..I have been around computers my entire life and I could do a librarians job right now if given a chance but 6 years to become a librarian is just outrageous and it sucks because its a job I would truly enjoy.

I am horrible at math lol. I used mathway website just to pass my college alegbra class with a C.

I am not sure I would recommend Library Science either... I have met people who left that profession or got laid off/fired who would not recommend the profession. At least what they told me from their own experience in the field was not many good paying permanent position openings, technology advances has eliminated the need for librarians so they hire less/ lay off workers, pay isn't good, competitive and hard to get into.

Maybe they were wrong this is just the information I got from former Librarians who left or got laid off.

What is Health Information Management?
Do you sit behind a desk and deny sick people care?
Or do you change bedpans?
What exactly do you do?

Forum List

Back