Coffee Party

Yeah. How stupid to learn about what works and doesnt from people who have already tried things.

Okay...So... why do Reps want to keep doing the same things that don't work over and over and over and over?

We don't. We want to cut spending and cut taxes. The last time it was tried we had the greatest growth in the middle class in world history.

Yeah. How stupid to learn about what works and doesnt from people who have already tried things. We should just ignore them and make the same exact mistakes over and over again. That will show how smart we are.

Yeah, it is stupid when you don't know the difference between looking back for answers and learning lessons from the past. Two very different things.

So we cant ask "what is wrong with Marxism?" and look back at Stalin and Hitler to find the answer? we have to try it again?
How did insanity get defined again?

Yeah, it is stupid when you don't know the difference between looking back for answers and learning lessons from the past. Two very different things.

So we cant ask "what is wrong with Marxism?" and look back at Stalin and Hitler to find the answer? we have to try it again?

Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

Yeah. How stupid to learn about what works and doesnt from people who have already tried things. We should just ignore them and make the same exact mistakes over and over again. That will show how smart we are.

Yeah. I dont really see a difference between learning things.

I know you don't. Learning the lessons of history only enables you to not repeat the mistakes of the past, if you're smart. They don't help much in charting a course to the future. But if you think answers lie in the past, then you probably won't understand this either.

See, that's not learning from history. An example is succession. Wingnuts seem to think that succession is a practical solution to the problem of divisivness. Which shows you didn't learn the lessons from the civil war. (If you had, you probably wouldn't even be talking about possibly going down that path. But WTF, I think wingnuts are insane anyway so for you it migh seem like a practical solution.)

But if you did learn from the 1860's that succession is not a practical solution, knowing that still doesn't give you a clue as to what to do about the divisivness in the country today.

I know you don't. Learning the lessons of history only enables you to not repeat the mistakes of the past, if you're smart. They don't help much in charting a course to the future. But if you think answers lie in the past, then you probably won't understand this either.

Sure it does. It gives you patterns. Should we reinvent the wheel? or should we build off what our ancestors have already given for us? Should we rebegin science in every generation or should we build off what our ancestors have given us? Should we continue to repeat their mistakes in government, or should we learn from what actually worksk and build off of it.

You can look to the future all you want, but until you know whats happened before, it wont help you very much.

See, that's not learning from history. An example is succession. Wingnuts seem to think that succession is a practical solution to the problem of divisivness. Which shows you didn't learn the lessons from the civil war. (If you had, you probably wouldn't even be talking about possibly going down that path. But WTF, I think wingnuts are insane anyway so for you it migh seem like a practical solution.)

But if you did learn from the 1860's that succession is not a practical solution, knowing that still doesn't give you a clue as to what to do about the divisivness in the country today.

And was secession from Great Britain a practical solution or not?

Sure it does. It gives you patterns. Should we reinvent the wheel? or should we build off what our ancestors have already given for us? Should we rebegin science in every generation or should we build off what our ancestors have given us? Should we continue to repeat their mistakes in government, or should we learn from what actually worksk and build off of it.

You can look to the future all you want, but until you know whats happened before, it wont help you very much.

You need to learn to think a little deeper. You might discover some things that aren't lying on the surface.

And was secession from Great Britain a practical solution or not?

I take it that you don't see any difference between the civil war and the revolutionary war, right?

You need to learn to think a little deeper. You might discover some things that aren't lying on the surface.

I fail to see how ignoring the past helps you think deeper. In fact, I fail to see how being willfully ignorant of knowledge helps anyone to think period.

I take it that you don't see any difference between the civil war and the revolutionary war, right?

Of course there are difference. But to pretend that both weren't matters of secession is ridiculous. The differences were in the motivations behind it and the winners/losers

Last edited:
Yeah. How stupid to learn about what works and doesnt from people who have already tried things.

Okay...So... why do Reps want to keep doing the same things that don't work over and over and over and over?

Because they believe Democrats who tell them they need to move to the center and be "bipartisan."
Republicans for some reason are easily shamed and sensitive to public opinion. So they tend to sacrifice their young when confronted with slightly embarassing issues. Democrats just dig in and blame Republicans.

Of course there are difference. But to pretend that both weren't matterests of secession is ridiculous. The differences were in the motivations behind it and the winners/losers

Who was pretending they were not both incidents of succession? And the difference goes way beyond the motivations behind them and the winners/losers. For instance, when I look at both I see one really big difference.

You're more likely to win if the government that you're trying to get away from is an ocean away than you are if the goverment you're trying to get away from is a few hundred miles away.

And since today's succession conversation has pretty much the same geography (goverment a few hundred miles away), it seems to me lessons learned from the civil war (that it's not a practical solution) are more applicable than any lessons learned from the revolutionary war.

Because they believe Democrats who tell them they need to move to the center and be "bipartisan."
Republicans for some reason are easily shamed and sensitive to public opinion. So they tend to sacrifice their young when confronted with slightly embarassing issues. Democrats just dig in and blame Republicans.

Republicans have never been as far right as they are now. They've, up until lately, have always been moderate to liberal. The crazy conservatives used to be in the democratic party until the bolted to the GOP in the 1960's.

It helps you recognize blind alleys that have already be explored .
We dont need to go where Obama wants to take US.

It sure does help you recognize blind alleys that have already been explored. But it won't tell you what is down the unexplored alleys and streets. As for where Obama wants to take us, I suppose whether or not one wants to go will depend on what one sees, or think one sees, when one looks down that unexplored street.

Republicans have never been as far right as they are now. They've, up until lately, have always been moderate to liberal. The crazy conservatives used to be in the democratic party until the bolted to the GOP in the 1960's.

Sez who?
Which "crazy conservatives" from the 1960s do you mean? John McCain? Richard Shelby?

It sure does help you recognize blind alleys that have already been explored. But it won't tell you what is down the unexplored alleys and streets. As for where Obama wants to take us, I suppose whether or not one wants to go will depend on what one sees, or think one sees, when one looks down that unexplored street.

Unexplored? We have countless nations who have done the exact same thing before us and it has always failed. What the heck is unexplored about it???? Do we think the laws of nature are somehow going to change this time around?

Unexplored? We have countless nations who have done the exact same thing before us and it has always failed. What the heck is unexplored about it???? Do we think the laws of nature are somehow going to change this time around?

What do you think you see on the path Obama is trying to take?

Sez who?
Which "crazy conservatives" from the 1960s do you mean? John McCain? Richard Shelby?

Sez history.

Forum List

Back