Rookie
Sep 27, 2009
conservative hell california
I like CO2, it does nice things for me.

Uses for CO2 Gas | eHow.com

Uses for CO2 Gas
By Eija Rissanen, eHow Contributor
updated: August 26, 2009
Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a chemical compound of two oxygen atoms that have a covalent bond with a single carbon atom. As a gas, CO2 is colorless and odorless and harmful to human health in concentration higher than 5,000 ppm. The first person to discover CO2 in gas form was Flemish chemist Jan Baptist van Helmond in the 17th century, and the properties of CO2 were further researched by Scottish physician Joseph Black in the 18th century. Today CO2 gas has many industrial uses and it can be found in many everyday products.

Welding
CO2 gas is used as a shield gas in welding to prevent the weld puddle from reacting with oxygen when it comes into contact with air.
Oil Discovery
CO2 gas is used in oil wells to increase oil discovery and maintain the pressure in the formation. CO2 gas partially dissolves into the oil and reduces its velocity making the oil flow more easily from the bedrock and therefore increasing the amount of oil being extracted.
Beverages
CO2 gas is used to carbonate soft drinks, soda water, beers and wine. Before artificial carbonation, beer and wine were carbonated through natural fermentation, but it is more convenient to use CO2 gas instead.
Foods
CO2 gas is used to prevent fungal and bacterial growth in food products.
Aerosol Products
CO2 gas is used as a propellant in aerosol cans instead of other gases that are more harmful to the environment

• Banned
I think we should out right ban co2 and find ways to suck it out of our Atmosphere. Our goal should be zero parts per trillion co2 within the Atmosphere of earth.:cuckoo::tongue::eusa_whistle: S/

Trees cannot live without CO2, you just proposed destroying the earth. Kill everything green, great idea.

Nice well thought out post.

I think we should out right ban co2 and find ways to suck it out of our Atmosphere. Our goal should be zero parts per trillion co2 within the Atmosphere of earth.:cuckoo::tongue::eusa_whistle: S/

Trees cannot live without CO2, you just proposed destroying the earth. Kill everything green, great idea.

It was a joke!:lol:

• Banned

It was a joke!:lol:

Sorry, if I was more familiar with your posts I would of known, I am really sorry because I stereotyped the post. No more need I say, I hope.

H2O is our friend, too. Talk to people in NOLA what happens when you get to much, then ask them what happens when you get too much oil. :cool:

H2O is our friend, too. Talk to people in NOLA what happens when you get to much, then ask them what happens when you get too much oil. :cool:

I dont remember ever getting to much CO2, same with oil, cant remember getting too much oil.

Well we're about a third above historical averages on CO2. No one knows how much is "too much" exactly, but given its properties and the upward trend, some warming is inevitable. As for too much oil, I was talking about BP. The NOLA area got too much water from Katrina and too much oil from the spill. Just illustrating that you CAN get too much of a good thing, making the article interesting, but essentially irrelevant.

I dont remember ever getting to much CO2, same with oil, cant remember getting too much oil.

Ever tour the Jack Daniels distillary in TN? The trees around there are BLACK from the CO2 emissions. I asked the tour guide about CO2 released into the atmosphere and he said "oh that not an issue at all". As always, anything associated with agriculture gets a pass.

edit- oops quoted the wrong post lol

Poor mdn, too stupid to realize the differance between cyclic CO2 and sequestered CO2.

How come you abandoned Geothermal, why did you post a study that contradicts what you post in geothermal.

How about the time you said steel can be made only with electricity, you posted a link which stated you needed to use natural gas as well, remember that, now that is stupid.

Posting links to reports and studies that prove your own point is wrong.

How come you post links to reports and studies that are actual press releases and when asked you never provide the study, is that because your smart.

Ever tour the Jack Daniels distillary in TN? The trees around there are BLACK from the CO2 emissions. I asked the tour guide about CO2 released into the atmosphere and he said "oh that not an issue at all". As always, anything associated with agriculture gets a pass.

That is interesting, which part of the trees are black, not questioning the factuality of your statement but its pretty interesting, is it the leaves, how far around the plant, what type of trees, I will have to check this out, for fun.

Carbon Dioxide and Helium Discharge from Mammoth Mountain, Long Valley caldera, California

Carbon Dioxide and Helium Discharge from Mammoth Mountain, Long Valley caldera, California
CURRENT STATUS: Measurements of the total discharge of carbon dioxide (CO2) gas at the Horseshoe Lake tree kill area range from 50-150 tons per day. Variations are primarily caused by changes in barometric pressure. There is no obvious trend of either increasing or decreasing gas flux at this area; we conclude that the total gas flux coming to the surface at Horseshoe Lake has remained at these relatively high levels since 1996. We do not have enough data from any other gas discharge areas around the mountain to draw conclusions about changes over time at those locations.

CURRENT HAZARDS: Inhaling high concentrations of carbon dioxide gas can cause dizziness, unconsciousness, and death. It is hazardous to dig holes in and around areas where the trees have been killed by carbon dioxide gas. Natural collapse pits that develop on the northwestern shore of Horseshoe Lake as the lake level declines contain high CO2 concentrations - extreme care should be taken to prevent children and dogs from entering these pits or digging up loose soil that has been placed in the pits. Care should also be taken to avoid a crack 1-2 feet wide that extends from the lake onto the west shore. Do not lie face down on the ground anywhere near Horseshoe Lake or the tree-kill area.

As snow levels accumulate in the winter, toxic levels of CO2 can develop in tree wells, around buildings, and immediately below the snow surface in areas of high CO2 emissions. Pay serious attention to signs warning of CO2 hazards.

Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI

INTRODUCTION
Chemical composition of geothermal brines and sludges varies from high salinity
Containing many trace metals such as those from Southern California to low salinity
brines containing a few select metals, such. as those found in the Geysers area of
Northern California (ref 1). Because such brines and sludges contain traces of toxic
metals such as arsenic, mercury, and others, including trace radionuclides, they
require treatment prior to disposal. At BNL, a biochemical technology has been
developed for a cost effident removal of toxic and valuable metals (ref 2,3). In
addition to being cost-efficient, new and emerging technologies have to be also
environmentally acceptable. In order to meet these requirements, a major research
and development effort is often required. This was the case in the development of
the technology for the detoxification of geothermal sludges and brines. D h g the
development of this technology at BNL, it became evident that the chemkd
composition of geothermal sludges may become an &et, because the sludge contains
also significant amounts of salts, such as potassium chloride as well as traces of
valuable metals, e.g. zinc, silver, gold, and others. Recovery of salts and valuable
metals, therefore, becomes a very attractive option
. Combination of this option and
the optimization of processing parameters for example, recycling of biocatalysts,
allows for the development of a technology which encompasses a.detorrification
process, lie. removal of toxic metals from the sludges and, therefore, satisfies
I
a
environmental requirements, a process which produces a byproduct containing
marketable compone by product conta etals and salts which
cin be recovered by co h a metal/metal salts
recovery process. This means that the geothermal "waste" is being converted into a
"feedstock" for new materials. Recent advances in the development of the combined
technology will be briefly discussed in this paper.

Last edited:

That is interesting, which part of the trees are black, not questioning the factuality of your statement but its pretty interesting, is it the leaves, how far around the plant, what type of trees, I will have to check this out, for fun.

It was several years ago so I just remember the trunks being totally black. Don't remember if there was vegetation. It would have been July- we were returning from a trip to GA. Close proximity to the distillery.

The guy said it was caused by the CO2. But it looks like it doesn't affect the folilage. This is from a blog that I googled.

treejack.jpg

It is really difficult to get too much CO2 tho. Modern plants thrive if you increase CO2 levels 300% above today's 380ppm. Historically the earth's atmosphere has had 3-20 times as much CO2 in circulation as we do today:

paleocarbon.gif

Please observe from the chart that the 4 million year ice age period in which we are currently stuck correlates to the lowest CO2 levels in Earth's history.

Personally the extremely real threat of another ice age is far more of a concern to me than the threat of warming. After all the Earth has proven itself to thrive in much warmer climates but not in colder climates.

And miles deep ice shelves atop the major continents sounds like a much bigger problem than a little warm weather.

Do the Earth a favor and increase your CO2 footprint!

Forum List

Back