Clint Eastwood was great

eastwood did NOT win the party any votes last night no matter how deluded you people are to reality

Reality is this:

The left didn't like it.
The right liked it.

All to be expected. Vegas would have given you 1/1 odds on those outcomes before the speech even happened. Be real.

I went in with an open mind, and enjoyed it.

SOME folks on the left (while noting that the performance was a little "off") actually did "like" it in the sense of recognizing that it may have had an impact. I'd venture the guess, in fact, that the ploy of addressing an empty chair to portray the incumbent will be repeated before the campaign is over.

AND, some folks on the right probably didn't much care for the Eastwood routine.

But overall, I'd say you are right. As a general rule, if you are in any way an advocate of the removal of the incumbent from office on Election Day, then you probably kind of liked the Eastwood schtick. If you are a fan of keeping the incumbent IN office, then you probably didn't "like" what Eastwood said and did.

All of these hacks in the media saying it was incoherent, etc?

Come on, you guys have no swag whatsoever. This guy actually made "the point" in the most obvious, charming sort of way. If you thought it was "bizarre" or whatever, I think you're just a stiff, tbh.

I think it was bizzare.

And this is someone I greatly admire.

Differing opinion, t'izzall.

He laid it out like a bawse.

I love the guy..but really?

Seriously?

It was embarrassing to watch him.

255467_341933089229493_1772433494_n1.jpg

408183_341969192559216_178390411_n1.jpg

Yes it was a little weird , but like you said his work as a actor is great, I guess

When great at one thing does not mean your great at everything .

It tailed off? you mean I broke structure on a message board??!?!?!? No WAY Batman!

Or, do you just not like what it said......? Couldn't be that.

Eat a dick ya fuckin' busy body.

No no, G.T. It means what it says. Your poorly constructed sentence started off with the promise of expressing (possibly) a complete thought. However, it didn't follow through.

Your effort was a fail.

Raise your standards and do stop whining.

There's a good little feller.

This is a thread discussing Eastwood's comments last night, can we keep the personal crap to PM's. The rest of us really aren't interested in it. Thanks. :cool:

Because a comment on a post is simply NOT DONE here at USMB, you mean?

:lol:

The left didn't like it.

As near as I can tell, the left really enjoyed it.

Any speech--or rambling dialogue with an empty chair-- that launches a thousand memes is a good speech.

A1mdi6tCIAAuKjP.jpg:large

He had some good points.

This is not incoherent.

EASTWOOD: I was even crying. And then finally -- and I haven’t cried that hard since I found out that there is 23 million unemployed people in this country.

(APPLAUSE)

Now that is something to cry for because that is a disgrace, a national disgrace, and we haven’t done enough, obviously -- this administration hasn’t done enough to cure that. Whatever interest they have is not strong enough, and I think possibly now it may be time for somebody else to come along and solve the problem.

When they said "we" own the country, they meant "white people" own the country. The truth is, Republicans have made sure it's really a handful of billionaires who own the country and they are fighting to keep it that way.

He meant the Citizens. Good grief, dude.

No he didn't. I know exactly what he meant. "Real" citizens don't engage in voter suppression. And now that the Republican leadership has admitted to what they are doing and why, you can't put that cat back into that bag.

exactly. Republicorp can have all the gala events hosted by Adelson & Koch they want w/ all the Hollywood elite too. Still doesn't change the fact that they only want people whom they think will vote Repub to be allowed to go to the polls. BTW- Texas ruled against their voter suppression laws the other day ;) http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/polit...ign=Feed:+rss/cnn_allpolitics+(RSS:+Politics)
Federal court strikes down Texas voter ID law

Last edited:
he kinda seemed high and was dirfting all over the plain.

kinda like a high plains drifter

He made my day too - and made several good points, wiping the floor with Obama's ass with -

23,000,000 !!!!!! people OUT OF WORK !!!!

Idiocy in proposing closing GTMO to hold trials for terrorists in NYC

Obama's botched/ongoing war in A-Stan

Instead of giving a "target date" to bring our troops home - bring them home tomorrow.

"We own this country. Not politicians. They are our employees. When an employee doesn't do their job, you let them go."

Yeah - what a TRUTH FILLED "rant."

He made my day.

And I think it’s that time. And I think if you just step aside and Mr. Romney can kind of take over. You can maybe still use a plane.

(APPLAUSE)

Though maybe a smaller one. Not that big gas guzzler you are going around to colleges and talking about student loans and stuff like that.

(APPLAUSE)

You are an -- an ecological man. Why would you want to drive that around?

OK, well anyway. All right, I’m sorry. I can’t do that to myself either.

(APPLAUSE)

I would just like to say something, ladies and gentlemen. Something that I think is very important. It is that, you, we -- we own this country.

(APPLAUSE)

We -- we own it. It is not you owning it, and not politicians owning it. Politicians are employees of ours.

(APPLAUSE)

And -- so -- they are just going to come around and beg for votes every few years. It is the same old deal. But I just think it is important that you realize , that you’re the best in the world. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican or whether you’re libertarian or whatever, you are the best. And we should not ever forget that. And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.

When they said "we" own the country, they meant "white people" own the country. The truth is, Republicans have made sure it's really a handful of billionaires who own the country and they are fighting to keep it that way.

You are a fucking idiot. A lemming with a head chock full of divisive rhetoric.

(please pardon the personal attack. I try to refrain from that. But this case deserved it.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cL5YsfsTHo]Clint Eastwood - Inside the Actor's Studio (Part 1/9) - YouTube[/ame]

One of the best Actor's Studio's ever..

Hello outraged nutters,

Rdean appears to be the conductor to your whining, butthurt choir.

The dude is generally off base......and sees things That are not there. But your predictable reaction to his overall silliness says something about you, too.

Carry on.

Using nutter logic they attack rdean because they fear him.

He meant the Citizens. Good grief, dude.

No he didn't. I know exactly what he meant. "Real" citizens don't engage in voter suppression. And now that the Republican leadership has admitted to what they are doing and why, you can't put that cat back into that bag.

exactly. Republicorp can have all the gala events hosted by Adelson & Koch they want w/ all the Hollywood elite too. Still doesn't change the fact that they only want people whom they think will vote Repub to be allowed to go to the polls. BTW- Texas ruled against their voter suppression laws the other day ;) Federal court strikes down Texas voter ID law - CNN.com

Except, of course, what you claim to be a "fact" is NOT a "fact" at all.

It is merely a charge. A claim. A contention.

And it is a false charge.

The only thing most of us want is that when you idiots pull the lever FOR the re-election of the failed incumbent, you get to do so only once -- in your own name and not as a proxy voter for a dead guy and not at all if you aren't a citizen or eligible to vote in an American election.

There is absolutely no valid reason to oppose efforts to make sure that only eligible voters get to cast votes and that they only get to vote ONCE per election.

The left didn't like it.

As near as I can tell, the left really enjoyed it.

Any speech--or rambling dialogue with an empty chair-- that launches a thousand memes is a good speech.

A1mdi6tCIAAuKjP.jpg:large

:lmao: You know, I accurately predicted that last night when I was watching his speech with my husband. You people really need to get a new MO, you're getting far far too predictable these days. You're really going to make fools of yourself if you try to portray him giving a rambling dialouge to an empty chair. It shows that you're desparate or you're just really that stupid that you didn't get it.

exactly. Republicorp can have all the gala events hosted by Adelson & Koch they want w/ all the Hollywood elite too. Still doesn't change the fact that they only want people whom they think will vote Repub to be allowed to go to the polls. BTW- Texas ruled against their voter suppression laws the other day ;) Federal court strikes down Texas voter ID law - CNN.com

Except, of course, what you claim to be a "fact" is NOT a "fact" at all.

It is merely a charge. A claim. A contention.

And it is a false charge.

The only thing most of us want is that when you idiots pull the lever FOR the re-election of the failed incumbent, you get to do so only once -- in your own name and not as a proxy voter for a dead guy and not at all if you aren't a citizen or eligible to vote in an American election.

There is absolutely no valid reason to oppose efforts to make sure that only eligible voters get to cast votes and that they only get to vote ONCE per election.

Except it is a not "valid" effort. A valid effort would be taking the whole process out of state hands and creating uniform, easy and expense free procedures everyone in the country could follow. That's not what's happening. The rules are different in each state and they are archaic. This flies in the face of absolutist conservativism in regards to the constitution. Voting is a right..it's not a priviledge. And it's one that has protections against interference.

No no, G.T. It means what it says. Your poorly constructed sentence started off with the promise of expressing (possibly) a complete thought. However, it didn't follow through.

Your effort was a fail.

Raise your standards and do stop whining.

There's a good little feller.

This is a thread discussing Eastwood's comments last night, can we keep the personal crap to PM's. The rest of us really aren't interested in it. Thanks. :cool:

Because a comment on a post is simply NOT DONE here at USMB, you mean?

:lol:

No, it happens all too often here, people come in with their personal grievances and completely overtake a thread. Guess I'm just cranky this morning, cause it was getting on my nerves. I wanted to read what people thought of Eastwood's speech. Nothing personal. ;)

And I think it’s that time. And I think if you just step aside and Mr. Romney can kind of take over. You can maybe still use a plane.

(APPLAUSE)

Though maybe a smaller one. Not that big gas guzzler you are going around to colleges and talking about student loans and stuff like that.

(APPLAUSE)

You are an -- an ecological man. Why would you want to drive that around?

OK, well anyway. All right, I’m sorry. I can’t do that to myself either.

(APPLAUSE)

I would just like to say something, ladies and gentlemen. Something that I think is very important. It is that, you, we -- we own this country.

(APPLAUSE)

We -- we own it. It is not you owning it, and not politicians owning it. Politicians are employees of ours.

(APPLAUSE)

And -- so -- they are just going to come around and beg for votes every few years. It is the same old deal. But I just think it is important that you realize , that you’re the best in the world. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican or whether you’re libertarian or whatever, you are the best. And we should not ever forget that. And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.

derp derp derp derpa derp derpa derpa herpa herp derp derp derpa herpa derp Derp Derpa 6% DERP HERPA HERP

Forum List

Back