Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought

No one will deny that it seems odd that different locations on the planet would see what seems like different behavior from their local oceans, but it's a fact.

I got an offer for you Frank. You keep asking question you know are dumb. That would be something like rhetorical questions but not quite. You ask us for information and then tell us that we couldn't be right. I've got a better idea, Frank. YOU go look up the information. You go find out what the world's experts (not right wing bloggers or TV weatherman, but the actual experts) think the world's oceans are doing. Okay? There's a boy. And you make sure you come back here and tell us who said what, ok? Ok.

Your experts are fakes, phonies and frauds.

No, Frank, they're not. We're talking thousands of PhD scientists, actively researching these topics and publishing their results in peer reviewed journals. The idea that they are ALL fakes, phonies and frauds -- the idea that ANY significant number of them are frauds -- is simply unsupportable. It's not a realistic contention Frank. Not at all. Do you believe every priest in the Catholic church is a child molester? Do you believe every police officer in this country is a racist bigot? Do you believe every school teacher is incompetent? Do you believe every Muslim on the planet is a murderous terrorist? Do you believe no US soldier, sailor, airman or marine has ever done anything wrong? Do you believe every communist hates us and wants to destroy us?

The larger a generalization, relatively speaking, the more likely (ignoring a thousand other reasons) it is to be false. The idea that a group of extremely well educated people, spread all over the world, from every different nation on the planet, have all somehow participated in some vast conspiracy whereby they've all produced coherent data that all supports the same theory and has never been refuted or falsified... it simply ridiculous.

Your experts adjust data rather than adjusting their theory.

All the adjustment you talk about are justified in an effort to make the data more accurate. When the scientists who USE that data start griping about the adjustments, I'll listen. Till then it simply sounds exactly as if this is just the latest desperation move passed down to you by the fossil fuel industry's disinformation campaign. The organizations making those adjustment have been consistently explaining why they are doing what they are doing and you and yours have YET to produce a single case refuting those justifications. Just saying it - and that's all you people have ever done - doesn't make it so.

I've seen and read what your experts have to say

I'm sorry Frank, but I don't believe that to be the truth. I think you have read very, very little of it because you lack the scientific knowledge to make heads nor tails of most of it.

and you should pray that the real scientists stay docile, non confrontational and uninterested in your fraud.

And you should stop making serious accusations for which you have no evidence outside your fevered imagination.

If the AGWCult were a private company, you'd have adjoining cells with Bernie Madoff who would be high-fiving you for stealing so much for so long.

Just like Bernie Madoff, you need to prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, the only crime that seems to have been committed around here would be the indecent assault implicit in your mental shortcomings attempting to deal with basic science.

I read the papers that made up AR5

I call bullshit on that claim three ways from Sunday. AR5 is not "made up" of papers. It does, however, cite 9,200 scientific publications. Are you claiming to have read them all Frank? Really? AR5 itself is over 2,000 pages and I'd be surprised to hear you've read a HUNDREDTH of it. Statements like that don't do much for our view of YOUR honesty Frank.

and I haven't a shred of doubt your scam just got bolder and now is totally unwilling to subject itself to any testing or verification.

Those 9,200 reference publications were ALL subject to testing, all made their data public and all passed peer review. Is that what you get from Monckton? Watts? McIntyre?

2 decades, no warming. So you went and added in the imaginary warming from the oceans

Frank, when are you going to catch on here? READ THIS FRANK AND PAY ATTENTION. The recent paper, Karl et al 2015, "Possible artifacts of data biases in the recent global surface warming hiatus" is NOT based on the common comment that the oceans absorb over 90% of the Earth's excess heat. You have conflated two unrelated ideas: one old, one new. Karl et al's claim is that due to errors in the treatment of sea surface temperature measurements and poorly sampled Arctic surface readings, the global surface temperature was badly computed. The comment that the oceans absorb 90% of incoming heat is based on simple physics and has been an established observation for over a century.

Progressives have always hated the human race, that's why Progressives are always the most prolific mass murderers.

Frank, this post is abusive and has no content relevant to the thread. Should I complain to the Moderators about it?

Frank, Frank, cmon man. Quit attacking a religion, will you, seriously! Their experts and bible have been proven soooooooo wrong, and yet as true believers, they stay the course.

It's not "their experts", it's THE experts. Show us where the mainstream science position on global warming has been proven wrong. No hand waving allowed.

Dude, you can't SAVE them! They are to far gone. The only thing to do is insure nobody else gets sucked in to this pathetic excuse for science.

Don't you think you ought to establish the flaws of mainstream science before you suggest people flee it? I do.

Whenever you see one of their threads, just drop a post with a link to all their phoney baloney predictions that never happened, backed by their REAL experts.

Where's your link? Where are the links to the predictions that temperatures would continue to rise? Where are the links to predictions that the Arctic ice extents would continue to melt? Where are the links to predictions that the world's ice and snow would continue to disappear? Where are the links to predictions of more and more life forms suffering negative impacts from changes in seasonal timing, loss of snowpack, loss of meltwater and habitat flora changes? Where are the links to predictions of continued sea level rise? Where are the links to continued rapid ocean acidification? Where are the links to predictions that humans would FAIL to rein in GHG emissions because of the ignorant proclamations of fossil fuel pawns like you?

These guys are just the altar boys, not the high priests.

Wrong. We're the citizens of a free democracy, just like you, engaging in an interchange of ideas. Unlike you, we're informed.

They are just regurgitating what new talking points their fearless leaders came up with.

We're putting out mainstream science. What are you putting out? I've seen lots of flaunted ignorance, personal assaults and prejudicial commentary but I have yet to see ONE SINGLE WORD OF SCIENTIFIC ARGUMENT FROM YOU, EVER.

They impress themselves with formulas that do not work, and try to impress everyone else with the same formulas; never telling anyone the outcome these formulas produced FAILED, lol.

What formula are you talking about and how does it fail?

And don't for get the "buzzwords," or "catchphrases;" like "science has been settled!" LOLOLOLOLOLOL, yeah, it was settled, it hasn't gotten any warmer in over 10 years, and the ice sheets have grown!

"The science is settled", having been discussed and explained thoroughly here and elsewhere, does not qualify as a "buzzword". I'll tell some that do: "the religion of climate science", the global "fraud" and "conspiracy" among climate scientists, the liberal conspiracy to destroy the US economy. All meaningless drivel... all mandatory execrations of any denier dialogue.

As I said before.............they better hope they get a dumb lib in office again, or their whole scheme is going to be shut down.

I'm afraid we haven't any "dumb lids" in the running. You, on the other hand, are chock-a-block full of them. How many republican candidates don't even believe in evolution? You've got a blinking neurologist who thinks homosexuality is acquired in prison and your leading candidate thinks Mexicans are rapists, breast-feeding women are disgusting and - without serving one day himself - argues that John McCain is some sort of loser. And you think you'll get superior science leadership out of such people? Wow...

These guys are the biggest joke around, so if I was you, just laugh when you make a post with the links to ALL their failed predictions; coming from all their failed formulas.

I can't tell you how helpful it would be to your friends here were you to provide those link to our failed predictions and formulae. Any links? Any details at all? Why so mum? Come, prove me foolish and wrong. Show us these things explicitly.

They can't get anyone scared with their "Svengooli" theatre

I think you meant Svengali

if the ones they aim the scare tactics at are to busy laughing their asses off, because of your accurate links!

Don't worry enviros, I am just trying to heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppp you!

No, you're not. You're trying to inflate your own ego with pure sleight of hand. Good luck.

Crick, what is "excess heat"?

Can you please explain what it is.

It is thermal energy in excess of the amount being radiated away from the Earth and thus causing the temperature of the Earth to increase.

Surely that had occurred to you.

Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought
by Samantha Page Jul 20, 2015 4:47pm

Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought ThinkProgress
Limiting climate change to 2°C is not going to protect us from devastating sea level rise, a new report has found.

According to the research, freshwater from land-based ice sheets melting into the oceans is inducing feedback that is accelerating the melting of ice shelves — a loop that indicates sea level rise will continue and could be devastating at much lower temperature changes than previously thought.

The study, authored by well-known climate scientist James Hansen and 16 other researchers, will be published in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics this week. The research explains that there is an “amplifying feedback” as polar ice melts, because as more freshwater enters the ocean, it traps warmer sea water, which melts more ice. The effect is not included in the current Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) modeling but “extensive data indicate [it] is already occurring,” according to the report.

“We are underestimating the speed at which these things are beginning to happen,” Hansen, head of the Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions Program at Columbia University’s Earth Institute, said Monday on a call with reporters.

This feedback loop is separate from other accepted science, such as the ice-albedo feedback loop, in which dark-colored water and exposed ground absorb more heat than the white, reflective ice and snow they have replaced.

Imagine 21 feet of sea level change! Entire cities near the coast would be gone....Time to take this very seriously.,

As soon as he can show us a rise I will listen. The Maldives, which are supposedly sinking just spent hundreds of millions of dollars to build some new tourist international airports. If they were truly going to be underwater that fast NO ONE would have invested that money.

This is more alarmist crap designed to frighten the stupid savages.

So a wisp of CO2 is:
  • causing the seas to rise,
  • making them hotter and
  • lower the pH down to gastric juice level
giphy.gif

The greatest extinction in our planets history was caused by a extreme release of green house gasses. The Permian was a period of SUPER Hot climate!

Bullshit. That is the least likely of the FIVE different theories. There is only computer model evidence to support warmth. There is actual physical evidence to show glaciation as the cause.

And what evidence would that be?

Cause... here's the opening paragraph of Wikipedia's article on the Permian Triassic extinction event.
*******************************************************************************************
The Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event, colloquially known as the Great Dying or the Great Permian Extinction,[2][3] occurred about 252 Ma (million years) ago,[4] forming the boundary between the Permian and Triassicgeologic periods, as well as the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras. It is the Earth's most severe known extinction event, with up to 96% of all marine species[5][6] and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species becoming extinct.[7] It is the only known mass extinction of insects.[8][9] Some 57% of all families and 83% of all genera became extinct. Because so much biodiversitywas lost, the recovery of life on Earth took significantly longer than after any other extinction event,[5] possibly up to 10 million years.[10]

There is evidence for between one to three distinct pulses, or phases, of extinction.[7][11][12][13] There are several proposed mechanisms for the extinctions; the earlier phase was probably due to gradual environmental change, while the latter phase has been argued to be due to a catastrophic event. Suggested mechanisms for the latter include one or more largebolide impact events, massive volcanism, coal or gas fires and explosions from the Siberian Traps,[14] and a runawaygreenhouse effect triggered by sudden release of methane from the sea floor due to methane clathrate dissociation ormethane-producing microbes known as methanogens;[15] possible contributing gradual changes include sea-level change, increasing anoxia, increasing aridity, and a shift in ocean circulation driven by climate change.
*******************************************************************************************
I'm afraid I don't seem to see glaciation mentioned anywhere here. And I'm wondering how you knock off 96% of the planet's marine species and 70% of terrestrial species via glaciation without turning the entire planet into a snowball that would have been a little hard to miss, ya know what I mean, Vern?.

Last edited:
Westwall has been repeatedly shown that no evidence exists that glaciation played a major part in the P-T Extinction. Like the rest of his drivel concerning the present warming, he just makes up flap-yap and goes with it. A slightly less retarded version of Billy Bob. Westwall has yet to post a credible source for his glaciation theory.

No one will deny that it seems odd that different locations on the planet would see what seems like different behavior from their local oceans, but it's a fact.

I got an offer for you Frank. You keep asking question you know are dumb. That would be something like rhetorical questions but not quite. You ask us for information and then tell us that we couldn't be right. I've got a better idea, Frank. YOU go look up the information. You go find out what the world's experts (not right wing bloggers or TV weatherman, but the actual experts) think the world's oceans are doing. Okay? There's a boy. And you make sure you come back here and tell us who said what, ok? Ok.

Your experts are fakes, phonies and frauds.

No, Frank, they're not. We're talking thousands of PhD scientists, actively researching these topics and publishing their results in peer reviewed journals. The idea that they are ALL fakes, phonies and frauds -- the idea that ANY significant number of them are frauds -- is simply unsupportable. It's not a realistic contention Frank. Not at all. Do you believe every priest in the Catholic church is a child molester? Do you believe every police officer in this country is a racist bigot? Do you believe every school teacher is incompetent? Do you believe every Muslim on the planet is a murderous terrorist? Do you believe no US soldier, sailor, airman or marine has ever done anything wrong? Do you believe every communist hates us and wants to destroy us?

The larger a generalization, relatively speaking, the more likely (ignoring a thousand other reasons) it is to be false. The idea that a group of extremely well educated people, spread all over the world, from every different nation on the planet, have all somehow participated in some vast conspiracy whereby they've all produced coherent data that all supports the same theory and has never been refuted or falsified... it simply ridiculous.

Your experts adjust data rather than adjusting their theory.

All the adjustment you talk about are justified in an effort to make the data more accurate. When the scientists who USE that data start griping about the adjustments, I'll listen. Till then it simply sounds exactly as if this is just the latest desperation move passed down to you by the fossil fuel industry's disinformation campaign. The organizations making those adjustment have been consistently explaining why they are doing what they are doing and you and yours have YET to produce a single case refuting those justifications. Just saying it - and that's all you people have ever done - doesn't make it so.

I've seen and read what your experts have to say

I'm sorry Frank, but I don't believe that to be the truth. I think you have read very, very little of it because you lack the scientific knowledge to make heads nor tails of most of it.

and you should pray that the real scientists stay docile, non confrontational and uninterested in your fraud.

And you should stop making serious accusations for which you have no evidence outside your fevered imagination.

If the AGWCult were a private company, you'd have adjoining cells with Bernie Madoff who would be high-fiving you for stealing so much for so long.

Just like Bernie Madoff, you need to prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, the only crime that seems to have been committed around here would be the indecent assault implicit in your mental shortcomings attempting to deal with basic science.

I read the papers that made up AR5

I call bullshit on that claim three ways from Sunday. AR5 is not "made up" of papers. It does, however, cite 9,200 scientific publications. Are you claiming to have read them all Frank? Really? AR5 itself is over 2,000 pages and I'd be surprised to hear you've read a HUNDREDTH of it. Statements like that don't do much for our view of YOUR honesty Frank.

and I haven't a shred of doubt your scam just got bolder and now is totally unwilling to subject itself to any testing or verification.

Those 9,200 reference publications were ALL subject to testing, all made their data public and all passed peer review. Is that what you get from Monckton? Watts? McIntyre?

2 decades, no warming. So you went and added in the imaginary warming from the oceans

Frank, when are you going to catch on here? READ THIS FRANK AND PAY ATTENTION. The recent paper, Karl et al 2015, "Possible artifacts of data biases in the recent global surface warming hiatus" is NOT based on the common comment that the oceans absorb over 90% of the Earth's excess heat. You have conflated two unrelated ideas: one old, one new. Karl et al's claim is that due to errors in the treatment of sea surface temperature measurements and poorly sampled Arctic surface readings, the global surface temperature was badly computed. The comment that the oceans absorb 90% of incoming heat is based on simple physics and has been an established observation for over a century.

Do you know how totally dishonest you'd have to be to claim I said I read ALL the papers?

I said I read Levitus, did you?

Can you try to explain this "Excess heat" concept again?

Last edited:

It doesn't "seem odd" it seems like a fraud

And what evidence would that be?

Cause... here's the opening paragraph of Wikipedia's article on the Permian Triassic extinction event.
The Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event, colloquially known as the Great Dying or the Great Permian Extinction,[2][3] occurred about 252 Ma (million years) ago,[4] forming the boundary between the Permian and Triassicgeologic periods, as well as the Paleozoic and Mesozoic eras. It is the Earth's most severe known extinction event, with up to 96% of all marine species[5][6] and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species becoming extinct.[7] It is the only known mass extinction of insects.[8][9] Some 57% of all families and 83% of all genera became extinct. Because so much biodiversitywas lost, the recovery of life on Earth took significantly longer than after any other extinction event,[5] possibly up to 10 million years.[10]

There is evidence for between one to three distinct pulses, or phases, of extinction.[7][11][12][13] There are several proposed mechanisms for the extinctions; the earlier phase was probably due to gradual environmental change, while the latter phase has been argued to be due to a catastrophic event. Suggested mechanisms for the latter include one or more largebolide impact events, massive volcanism, coal or gas fires and explosions from the Siberian Traps,[14] and a runawaygreenhouse effect triggered by sudden release of methane from the sea floor due to methane clathrate dissociation ormethane-producing microbes known as methanogens;[15] possible contributing gradual changes include sea-level change, increasing anoxia, increasing aridity, and a shift in ocean circulation driven by climate change.
I'm afraid I don't seem to see glaciation mentioned anywhere here. And I'm wondering how you knock off 96% of the planet's marine species and 70% of terrestrial species via glaciation without turning the entire planet into a snowball that would have been a little hard to miss, ya know what I mean, Vern?.

All of which is model derived. Thank you so much for making my point you imbecile. Here is the evidence for the Australian glaciation. You can find evidence in Africa, Europe, Asia, and North and South America. What you can't find is any empirical evidence for warmth being the cause.

"The most widely represented of the older glacial periods occurred during the Late Palaeozoic or Permian. Ice sheets covered most of south and southeastern Australia for about 120 million years from about 280 Ma. In the east of the continent there was widespread volcanicity, and of the rest of the continent, there are suggested to have been glaciers in some places, and probably periglacial conditions over much of the remainder (Twidale & Campbell, 2005).

Evidence of this glacial event can be seen in the glaciated pavements of the Inman Valley, South Australia, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, and in eastern New South Wales. On top of Black Cliff, Hallett Cove, several kilometres to the south of Adelaide, there is a glaciated pavement with associated erratics. It, and the glacial or fluvioglacial strata that were exposed in the adjacent amphitheatre, were found by W. Howchin to be overlain by a thin fossiliferous layer of marine limestone from the Pliocene. The striated pavement was exhumed from beneath glaciogene (deposited by melting ice) and marine beds."
Australian Glaciation

"Excess" Heat, um it's like heat, but it's extra, yeah. It's the imaginary heat cause by the GHG's, right? and it's gets devoured by the oceans

Forum List

Back