Could the climate be changing and the sea levels rising because of something other than CO2?

The fact is sea level has risen by 6.5 inches since 1950 nearly half of it (3 inches) has occurred in just the last 20 years. /#:~:text=Although%20the%20sea%20level%20has,flooding%20across%20the%20United%20States.[/URL]

I highly doubt that statistic and sealevelrise dot org doesn't really impress me.

But lets say those stats are true and accurate...What evidence is there that it is caused by man? It could be from a host of things...such as water displacement from meteors or under-sea volcanoes or land slides into the ocean.

Or maybe this woman was skinny dipping

couch1.png

I highly doubt that statistic and sealevelrise dot org doesn't really impress me.

But lets say those stats are true and accurate...What evidence is there that it is caused by man? It could be from a host of things...such as water displacement from meteors or under-sea volcanoes or land slides into the ocean.

Or maybe this woman was skinny dipping

View attachment 812203
The world's oceans have an area of 139 million square miles. A 6" rise would require:

139,000,000 x 5280 x 5280 x.5 cubic feet of meteors or land slides.

That comes to 1,937,548,800,000,000 (just shy of 2 quadrillion) cubic feet. As a sphere, that would be 97,416 feet in radius or roughly 37 miles in diameter (6 times the size of the Chicxulub impactor).

You'd think we might have noticed.

Last edited:
Porous is different than cracks in the rocks. Certainly could
Yes could happen if there were only a few feet but the strata forming the crust is tens of thousand of feet thick of non-porous rock formed under enormous pressure.

You grabbed at straws.

Perhaps I should introduce a little known fact about sea level rise ...

This is due to warming the water ... and thermal expansion ... not so much melting ice ...

As far as the OP ... ground water levels are at sea level ... Navier-Stokes Equations ... "water seeks it's own level" ... I don't know if this ends or if the water extends all the way down and out through the other side somewhere in China ... gravity keeps everything "spherical" ...

Melting ice is EXTREMELY energy intensive ... the energy to melt one gram of ice would heat a gram of air 300ºC !!! ... ask any chemist ... so we're talking about a single degree temperature increase, that doesn't melt enough ice ... nor enough heat to the oceans ... and 1/8 inch per year is almost nothing ...

Perhaps I should introduce a little known fact about sea level rise ...
Let us know if you find one.
This is due to warming the water ... and thermal expansion ... not so much melting ice ...
That it is due to both has been discussed here repeatedly.
As far as the OP ... ground water levels are at sea level ... Navier-Stokes Equations ... "water seeks it's own level" ... I don't know if this ends or if the water extends all the way down and out through the other side somewhere in China ... gravity keeps everything "spherical" ...
I see zero application of this comment to the OP.
Melting ice is EXTREMELY energy intensive ... the energy to melt one gram of ice would heat a gram of air 300ºC !!! ... ask any chemist ...
Yes
so we're talking about a single degree temperature increase, that doesn't melt enough ice ... nor enough heat to the oceans ... and 1/8 inch per year is almost nothing ...
I do not follow this last statement. What single degree increase, what "not enough ice"? And last time I checked 1/8th inch ISN'T "nothing"

Yes could happen if there were only a few feet but the strata forming the crust is tens of thousand of feet thick of non-porous rock formed under enormous pressure.

You grabbed at straws.
There’s more pressure pushing outward from the core. If there wasn’t, no active volcanos. Again, not through the rock but around the rocks in the cracks. Straw like cracks if you like.

There’s more pressure pushing outward from the core. If there wasn’t, no active volcanos. Again, not through the rock but around the rocks in the cracks. Straw like cracks if you like.

That pressure is already at equilibrium ... whatever water this pushes has been pushing water for billions of years ... and this rate is becoming less as time moves forward ... there's less volcanic activity today than ... say ... the beginning of the Permian Period, 250,000,000 years ago ...

If you want a number ... it would be 0.1 W/m^2 ... that would be part of the 1.8 W/m^2 climate forcing which in turn causes GW ... all ± 0.5 W/m^2 ... and all this is based on a shortage of empirical data ... we should all know what that does to the statistics ...

That pressure is already at equilibrium ... whatever water this pushes has been pushing water for billions of years ... and this rate is becoming less as time moves forward ... there's less volcanic activity today than ... say ... the beginning of the Permian Period, 250,000,000 years ago ...

If you want a number ... it would be 0.1 W/m^2 ... that would be part of the 1.8 W/m^2 climate forcing which in turn causes GW ... all ± 0.5 W/m^2 ... and all this is based on a shortage of empirical data ... we should all know what that does to the statistics ...
What is your point?

Equilibrium? If that were the case, there would be no more volcanic eruptions. But yes, water keeps coming up and maybe in more than one way. One thing we know for sure is science is never settled it seems.

Equilibrium? If that were the case, there would be no more volcanic eruptions. But yes, water keeps coming up and maybe in more than one way. One thing we know for sure is science is never settled it seems.

Volcanoes erupt lava ... the equilibrium is water pressure ... it's energy that flows from inside Earth out to space ... not water ...

Water IN lava is explosive ... like Krakatoa in November of 1883 ... but that was sea water seeping down to the lava chamber ... not water coming up from below ...

The OP is nonsense ... it's unnecessary to explain what we are observing ...
The whole thread, "Could the climate be changing and the sea levels rising because of something other than CO2" is simply a plea for any idea, no matter how foolish that just might explain the rise in sea levels other than global warning. No matter the evidence, nor the fact that every major science academy in the world has endorsed the theory of global warming, 97% of actively scientist agree that humans are causing global warming, and hundreds of billions of dollars a year is being spend by the major economic powers to mitigate global warming, some people simple can't accept the fact that man can make the planet unlivable. I think Gore probably said it best, that it's an inconvenient truth.

So far in this thread, we have had water seeping out of the ocean to go who knows where, increases volcanic activity, lava coming out of the ocean, God telling us in the Bible that the waters will rise, not sure what Noah's connection was, and of course lots of anecdotal evidence that I can't see that any water has risen or that it hasn't got any hotter.

Last edited:
The whole thread, "Could the climate be changing and the sea levels rising because of something other than CO2" is simply a plea for any idea, no matter how foolish that just might explain the rise in sea levels other than global warning. No matter the evidence, nor the fact that every major science academy in the world has endorsed the theory of global warming, 97% of actively scientist agree that humans are causing global warming, and hundreds of billions of dollars a year is being spend by the major economic powers to mitigate global warming, some people simple can't accept the fact that man can make the planet unlivable. I think Gore probably said it best, that it's an inconvenient truth.

So far in this thread, we have had water seeping out of the ocean to go who knows where, increases volcanic activity, lava coming out of the ocean, God telling us in the Bible that the waters will rise, not sure what Noah's connection was, and of course lots of anecdotal evidence that I can't see that any water has risen or that it hasn't got any hotter.

[shrugs shoulders] ... headlines and click-bait ...

1] I agree the Earth is warming ...
2] I agree man-kind has a roll in this effect ...
3] I disagree with the catastrophic predictions ...

Seas level rise is a good example ... the whole thread derails because AGW is all we need to explain what we see ... that's what science does, explains what we see ... and what we see is an 1/8th inch per year ... or more exactly (from this paper) 3.0 (±0.4) mm/yr with an acceleration of 0.084 (±0.025) mm/yr/yr ... which gives us less than two feet rise by Year 2100 ... BUT that's only using 25 years worth of data when we should be using a full 100 years ...

Los Angeles International is at 34 feet above sea level ... Miami International is 7 feet ... so both are safe for the foreseeable future ... and Houston seems to have already gone under ... ouch ... okay, one catastrophe, but just the one is all ...

I'm a carpenter ... homes built on sand won't last until Year 2100 ... especially coastlines subject to Category 5 Hurricanes ... like Houston and Miami ... it's weather that kills, not climate ...

I agree the Earth is warming ...

Earth has its own "thermometer" = ocean levels

Oceans rise - warming - less ice

Oceans drop - cooling - more ice

When you can show us a photo of a landmark sinking, let us know...

[shrugs shoulders] ... headlines and click-bait ...

1] I agree the Earth is warming ...
2] I agree man-kind has a roll in this effect ...
3] I disagree with the catastrophic predictions ...
Could you give us a clear definition of what YOU mean by "catastrophic"?
Seas level rise is a good example ... the whole thread derails because AGW is all we need to explain what we see ... that's what science does, explains what we see ... and what we see is an 1/8th inch per year ... or more exactly (from this paper) 3.0 (±0.4) mm/yr with an acceleration of 0.084 (±0.025) mm/yr/yr ... which gives us less than two feet rise by Year 2100 ... BUT that's only using 25 years worth of data when we should be using a full 100 years ...
The rate is accelerating. Why, then, would you want to pull old data into your projected rate?
Los Angeles International is at 34 feet above sea level ... Miami International is 7 feet ... so both are safe for the foreseeable future ... and Houston seems to have already gone under ... ouch ... okay, one catastrophe, but just the one is all ...
Could you give us a clear definition of what YOU mean by "foreseeable future"?
I'm a carpenter ... homes built on sand won't last until Year 2100 ... especially coastlines subject to Category 5 Hurricanes ... like Houston and Miami ... it's weather that kills, not climate ...
But climate steers weather. The climate in Siberia will not allow lethal heatwaves while the climate in Saudi Arabia will not allow freezing ice storms.

Forum List

Back