Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought

Except that they aren't. You would think that in a relatively flat state like Florida, surrounded almost by the oceans, we would see rising water levels. Instead zip zilch nada.

I could take you out to cocoa beach and show you the water marks and erosion that has been there since I first visited there 48 years ago.

Meh, complete bull shit as usual.

Except that they aren't. You would think that in a relatively flat state like Florida, surrounded almost by the oceans, we would see rising water levels. Instead zip zilch nada.

I could take you out to cocoa beach and show you the water marks and erosion that has been there since I first visited there 48 years ago.

Different areas of the ocean rise differing amounts and shorelines are not stable - that land rises and falls. There is excellent information on global sea level rise and I'm afraid I'm not going to reject it because you've been to the beach.

sl_ns_global.png

Here is the first paragraph in section 3.1 of WGI (The Physical Science Basis) of the IPCC's AR5:
Chapter 3 - Observations: Ocean
3.1 Introduction
The ocean influences climate by storing and transporting large amounts of heat, freshwater, and carbon, and by exchanging these properties with the atmosphere. About 93% of the excess heat energy stored by the Earth over the last 50 years is found in the ocean (Church et al., 2011; Levitus et al., 2012). The ability of the ocean to store vast amounts of heat reflects the large mass and heat capacity of seawater relative to air and the fact that ocean circulation connects the surface and interior ocean. More than three quarters of the total exchange of water between the atmosphere and the Earth’s surface through evaporation and precipitation takes place over the oceans (Schmitt, 2008). The ocean contains 50 times more carbon than the atmosphere (Sabine et al., 2004) and is at present acting to slow the rate of climate change by absorbing about 30% of human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) from fossil fuel burning, cement production, deforestation and other land use change (Mikaloff-Fletcher et al., 2006; Le Quéré et al., 2010). Changes in the ocean may result in climate feedbacks that either increase or reduce the rate of climate change. Climate variability and change on time scales from seasons to millennia is therefore closely linked to the ocean and its interactions with the atmosphere and cryosphere. The large inertia of the oceans means that they naturally integrate over short-term variability and often provide a clearer signal of longer-term change than other components of the climate system. Observations of ocean change therefore provide a means to track the evolution of climate change, and a relevant benchmark for climate models

What's "excess heat"? It's an odd concept that serves as the basis of the levitus paper. Then, again, they're "making adjustments" to account for "instrumental bias".... The oceans absorb 93% of this imaginary " excess heat " but only 30% of the CO2.

Is there any end to manipulation of data and baseless assumptions and imaginary concepts?

What is "excess heat"

Different areas of the ocean rise differing amounts and shorelines are not stable - that land rises and falls. There is excellent information on global sea level rise and I'm afraid I'm not going to reject it because you've been to the beach.

sl_ns_global.png

In other words "cherry picking". Only the places that rise are counted.

Er, no. Only you're doing the cherrypicking. The grownups are using global averages.

However, at least you've developed the awareness that cherrypicking is bad. Now we just have to get you to realize that you're doing it, by only looking at Florida.

Sea level rise is not uniform. New York and Boston are hit hard. Florida isn't.

northeast-sea-level-ed.jpg

Er, no. Only you're doing the cherrypicking. The grownups are using global averages.

However, at least you've developed the awareness that cherrypicking is bad. Now we just have to get you to realize that you're doing it, by only looking at Florida.

Do you even realize how idiotic your argument is?

Then, again, they're "making adjustments" to account for "instrumental bias".... The oceans absorb 93% of this imaginary " excess heat " but only 30% of the CO2.

Frank, the oceans are not absorbing 93% of the excess heat because they contain carbon dioxide in solution.

Do you even realize how idiotic your argument is?

He doesn't because they aren't. But I don't know why you fail to realize how idiotic your arguments are.

Well, for the past few months, the beach I go to has had low tides that are not very low. Homes on the beach are shoring up because high tides are now eating where they never ate before and low tide is where high tide USED to hit.

Then, again, they're "making adjustments" to account for "instrumental bias".... The oceans absorb 93% of this imaginary " excess heat " but only 30% of the CO2.

Frank, the oceans are not absorbing 93% of the excess heat because they contain carbon dioxide in solution.

Crick you're not making any sense. Got any lab work simulating this imaginary system of yours

Right because there's a different sea between NY and Florida. The Atlantic is up in NY and in Florida it's the...hey wait a second. So the global rise is really a ruse, got it

No one will deny that it seems odd that different locations on the planet would see what seems like different behavior from their local oceans, but it's a fact.

I got an offer for you Frank. You keep asking question you know are dumb. That would be something like rhetorical questions but not quite. You ask us for information and then tell us that we couldn't be right. I've got a better idea, Frank. YOU go look up the information. You go find out what the world's experts (not right wing bloggers or TV weatherman, but the actual experts) think the world's oceans are doing. Okay? There's a boy. And you make sure you come back here and tell us who said what, ok? Ok.

No one will deny that it seems odd that different locations on the planet would see what seems like different behavior from their local oceans, but it's a fact.

I got an offer for you Frank. You keep asking question you know are dumb. That would be something like rhetorical questions but not quite. You ask us for information and then tell us that we couldn't be right. I've got a better idea, Frank. YOU go look up the information. You go find out what the world's experts (not right wing bloggers or TV weatherman, but the actual experts) think the world's oceans are doing. Okay? There's a boy. And you make sure you come back here and tell us who said what, ok? Ok.

Your experts are fakes, phonies and frauds. Your experts adjust data rather than adjusting their theory. I've seen and read what your experts have to say and you should pray that the real scientists stay docile, non confrontational and uninterested in your fraud. If the AGWCult were a private company, you'd have adjoining cells with Bernie Madoff who would be high-fiving you for stealing so much for so long.

I read the papers that made up AR5 and I haven't a shred of doubt your scam just got bolder and now is totally unwilling to subject itself to any testing or verification. 2 decades, no warming. So you went and added in the imaginary warming from the oceans

by Samantha Page Jul 20, 2015 4:47pm

Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought ThinkProgress
Limiting climate change to 2°C is not going to protect us from devastating sea level rise, a new report has found.

According to the research, freshwater from land-based ice sheets melting into the oceans is inducing feedback that is accelerating the melting of ice shelves — a loop that indicates sea level rise will continue and could be devastating at much lower temperature changes than previously thought.

The study, authored by well-known climate scientist James Hansen and 16 other researchers, will be published in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics this week. The research explains that there is an “amplifying feedback” as polar ice melts, because as more freshwater enters the ocean, it traps warmer sea water, which melts more ice. The effect is not included in the current Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) modeling but “extensive data indicate [it] is already occurring,” according to the report.

“We are underestimating the speed at which these things are beginning to happen,” Hansen, head of the Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions Program at Columbia University’s Earth Institute, said Monday on a call with reporters.

This feedback loop is separate from other accepted science, such as the ice-albedo feedback loop, in which dark-colored water and exposed ground absorb more heat than the white, reflective ice and snow they have replaced.

Imagine 21 feet of sea level change! Entire cities near the coast would be gone....Time to take this very seriously.,

Ignore the denier cultists, they are children with their blanky over their head.

Global Warming is real and getting worse. The science has been settled for 15 years among scientists around the world.

Soon enough the human race as a whole will have no choice but to make drastic changes or join in on the 6th mass extinction which has already started.

by Samantha Page Jul 20, 2015 4:47pm

Climate Scientist Warns Sea Levels Are Rising Faster Than We Thought ThinkProgress
Limiting climate change to 2°C is not going to protect us from devastating sea level rise, a new report has found.

According to the research, freshwater from land-based ice sheets melting into the oceans is inducing feedback that is accelerating the melting of ice shelves — a loop that indicates sea level rise will continue and could be devastating at much lower temperature changes than previously thought.

The study, authored by well-known climate scientist James Hansen and 16 other researchers, will be published in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics this week. The research explains that there is an “amplifying feedback” as polar ice melts, because as more freshwater enters the ocean, it traps warmer sea water, which melts more ice. The effect is not included in the current Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) modeling but “extensive data indicate [it] is already occurring,” according to the report.

“We are underestimating the speed at which these things are beginning to happen,” Hansen, head of the Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions Program at Columbia University’s Earth Institute, said Monday on a call with reporters.

This feedback loop is separate from other accepted science, such as the ice-albedo feedback loop, in which dark-colored water and exposed ground absorb more heat than the white, reflective ice and snow they have replaced.

Imagine 21 feet of sea level change! Entire cities near the coast would be gone....Time to take this very seriously.,

Ignore the denier cultists, they are children with their blanky over their head.

Global Warming is real and getting worse. The science has been settled for 15 years among scientists around the world.

Soon enough the human race as a whole will have no choice but to make drastic changes or join in on the 6th mass extinction which has already started.

Progressives have always hated the human race, that's why Progressives are always the most prolific mass murderers.

they don't think people live in these locations they post up. It's hilarious.

Salt water increasingly attacks Vietnam’s Mekong Delta

Tuoi Tre News

Updated : 07/29/2015 15:17 GMT + 7

The Mekong Delta, Vietnam’s biggest granary, home to a widespread network of rivers and canals, has been threatened by the rising level of salt water flowing into rice fields and farms.

There have been warnings about such a situation for years, but authorities in Vietnam have failed to work out measures to solve the issue.

Climate change has become more serious and its adverse impacts can be seen now in the region, not just in forecasts as before.

Many areas have no fresh water, and saline water has increased amid the rainy season. Other areas have experienced land subsidence along the banks of rivers.

http://tuoitrenews.v...ms-mekong-delta

actual experts? Who the hell does that reference? Like Judith Curry you mean?

Frank, Frank, cmon man. Quit attacking a religion, will you, seriously! Their experts and bible have been proven soooooooo wrong, and yet as true believers, they stay the course.

Dude, you can't SAVE them! They are to far gone. The only thing to do is insure nobody else gets sucked in to this pathetic excuse for science. Whenever you see one of their threads, just drop a post with a link to all their phoney baloney predictions that never happened, backed by their REAL experts. These guys are just the altar boys, not the high priests. They are just regurgitating what new talking points their fearless leaders came up with. They impress themselves with formulas that do not work, and try to impress everyone else with the same formulas; never telling anyone the outcome these formulas produced FAILED, lol.

And don't for get the "buzzwords," or "catchphrases;" like "science has been settled!" LOLOLOLOLOLOL, yeah, it was settled, it hasn't gotten any warmer in over 10 years, and the ice sheets have grown!

As I said before.............they better hope they get a dumb lib in office again, or their whole scheme is going to be shut down. These guys are the biggest joke around, so if I was you, just laugh when you make a post with the links to ALL their failed predictions; coming from all their failed formulas. They can't get anyone scared with their "Svengooli" theatre, if the ones they aim the scare tactics at are to busy laughing their asses off, because of your accurate links!

Don't worry enviros, I am just trying to heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppp you!

Forum List

Back