Christian bakers: Wouldnt ANY wedding violate the deadly sin of gluttony?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
I find it fascinating that Christian bakers would say that catering a gay wedding would violate their rights because their religion doesn't support it.

Lets think about that for a moment. A Christian baker catering weddings. With huge cakes, lots and lots of food, usually an open bar, sweets, excess food and drink.

Wouldn't all that violate the Christian belief that gluttony, one of the 7 deadly sins, is wrong???

Defined: Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.

So, unless that Christian baker is baking a tiny, minimalist sized cake, and then spreading all the excess cake around to the needy, and demanding the excess food and drink be made available to the needy.......wouldn't they be violating the belief of their religion, since gluttony which occurs at EVERY wedding is occurring in the baker's presence?

Hmmm. This should be interesting.

What about a Wall Street or Hollywood couple's wedding, both of whom violate "Lust" and "Greed" as the desires for sex, money, fame or power, and their wedding surely would violate a lot of the 7 deadly sins?

Or "Sloth", laziness in physical or spiritual form, where a person who is lazy in their pursuit of God is a sinner. Would the Christian baker cater two straight people who are paying a lot of money for a wedding ceremony at their home......but they happen to be atheist?

Last edited:
Never ceases to amaze me how much non Christians know about Christianity. It would appear that it is rooted in a love and embrace of Christian values but the reality is, it is rooted in the love of holding your enemies against their own rules and morals.

This is a bit far fetched. The Bible lists the 10 commandments, not those 7 deadly sins. Those 7 deadly sins originated with the monk Evagrius Ponticus in the 4th Century, and have no specific mention in Biblical canon. The seven deadly sins we take after are listed in Proverbs, bucs. These are the seven things God hates and see as an abomination:

1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devises wicked plots
5. Feet that are swift to run into mischief
6. A deceitful witness that uttereth lies
7. Him that soweth discord among brethren

Likewise, another longer list, given this time by the Epistle to the Galatians (Galatians 5:19-21), includes more of the traditional seven sins: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, "and such like". Paul goes on to say that those of us who practice these sins will not inherit the kingdom of God, HOWEVER, we can seek forgiveness of these sins to avoid paying the price.

You mischaracterize Christianity, bucs and I resent that deeply.

Last edited:
This is a bit far fetched. The Bible lists the 10 commandments, not those 7 deadly sins. Those 7 deadly sins originated with the monk Evagrius Ponticus in the 4th Century, and have no specific mention in Biblical canon. The seven deadly sins we take after are listed in Proverbs, bucs. These are the seven things God hates and see as an abomination:

1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue

Likewise, another longer list, given this time by the Epistle to the Galatians (Galatians 5:19-21), includes more of the traditional seven sins: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, "and such like". Paul goes on to say that those of us who practice these sins will not inherit the kingdom of God, HOWEVER, we can seek forgiveness of these sins to avoid paying the price.

Well, there is also a lot of stuff in the Bible that we no longer believe is right.

But, as for your list, includes "drunkenness". So, should a Christian baker refuse to cater any wedding where alcoholic beverage will be served????

As for the first list, wouldn't the wedding dress and tux be a "proud look", or the excess taken in the decoration of God's house for this ceremony?

I find it funny how selective Christians are about what they feel violates their religious freedom...while being fine participating in things that obviously violate Christian beliefs.

I'm a Christian Buddhist. So, I have a different view.

A wha?

The definitive dividing line for Christianity and Buddhism is also set out in the “Sermon on the Mount.” While Buddhism is a faith of self-realization, Christianity is a faith of God’s revelation.

In order to be Christian, you must believe that there is a God and that Jesus was his only begotten son who came to Earth. (Well for most Christians).

But the Buddha purposefully did not speak of a creator God. He also lived 500 years before Jesus and would not have known him (although there is speculation that Jesus would have known Buddha’s teachings). Buddha not being a theist or atheist left alone the issue of God as irrelevant to his practice.

“I teach only the understanding of suffering,” said Buddha, “and the end of suffering.”

However, if Jesus is the way to salvation, can you believe in the practices of the Buddha and still be Christian? Isn’t Jesus the only way to the end of suffering?

For those who follow a Christian Buddhist path, Jesus himself could best present the answer. “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s,” said Jesus, “and unto God what is God’s.”

Buddhism is a faith in the practice of here and now. Christianity is a practice for the afterlife.

http://appliedbuddhism.com/2010/08/18/can-you-be-a-buddhist-christian/

Last edited:

1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue

Well, there is also a lot of stuff in the Bible that we no longer believe is right.

But, as for your list, includes "drunkenness". So, should a Christian baker refuse to cater any wedding where alcoholic beverage will be served????

As for the first list, wouldn't the wedding dress and tux be a "proud look", or the excess taken in the decoration of God's house for this ceremony?

I find it funny how selective Christians are about what they feel violates their religious freedom...while being fine participating in things that obviously violate Christian beliefs.

I simply don't care what you Christian Buddhists believe "isn't right" about the Bible. Drunkenness is drunkenness, and not gluttony. Two different things, and an attempt to make hollow correlations between the two.

I find it funny, that you have to taint the Christian faith with a cult's beliefs to make it more palatable for you. Disgusting.

A wha?

The definitive dividing line for Christianity and Buddhism is also set out in the “Sermon on the Mount.” While Buddhism is a faith of self-realization, Christianity is a faith of God’s revelation.

In order to be Christian, you must believe that there is a God and that Jesus was his only begotten son who came to Earth. (Well for most Christians).

But the Buddha purposefully did not speak of a creator God. He also lived 500 years before Jesus and would not have known him (although there is speculation that Jesus would have known Buddha’s teachings). Buddha not being a theist or atheist left alone the issue of God as irrelevant to his practice.

“I teach only the understanding of suffering,” said Buddha, “and the end of suffering.”

However, if Jesus is the way to salvation, can you believe in the practices of the Buddha and still be Christian? Isn’t Jesus the only way to the end of suffering?

For those who follow a Christian Buddhist path, Jesus himself could best present the answer. “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s,” said Jesus, “and unto God what is God’s.”

Buddhism is a faith in the practice of here and now. Christianity is a practice for the afterlife.

Can You Be A Buddhist Christian? | Applied Buddhism

Yes, a Christian Buddhist. I was only a Christian. But then began to discover Buddhism, and it filled in some gaps I had as man. I love and respect both religions, but, don't necessarily agree with all parts of them.

If a man said it, it must be possibly flawed, as all men are flawed. Everything that a man has told me about Christianity and Buddhism is possibly flawed, as men are flawed, so I must have an open mind to find the path I feel best about.

1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue

I simply don't care what you Christian Buddhists believe "isn't right" about the Bible. Drunkenness is drunkenness, and not gluttony. Two different things, and an attempt to make hollow correlations between the two.

I find it funny, that you have to taint the Christian faith with a cult's beliefs to make it more palatable for you. Disgusting.

So much for religious tolerance. The more Buddhism I read, the more accepting and open it is to it's followers to also be Christians. It actually encourages people to not resist their curiosities about other religions. Much more tolerant, it seems, than Christianity.

My Christian beliefs help me deal with my thoughts on the afterlife.
My Buddhist beliefs help me cope with the bullshit around me on this planet.
They complement each other to me.

I find it fascinating that Christian bakers would say that catering a gay wedding would violate their rights because their religion doesn't support it.

Lets think about that for a moment. A Christian baker catering weddings. With huge cakes, lots and lots of food, usually an open bar, sweets, excess food and drink.

Wouldn't all that violate the Christian belief that gluttony, one of the 7 deadly sins, is wrong???

Defined: Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.

So, unless that Christian baker is baking a tiny, minimalist sized cake, and then spreading all the excess cake around to the needy, and demanding the excess food and drink be made available to the needy.......wouldn't they be violating the belief of their religion, since gluttony which occurs at EVERY wedding is occurring in the baker's presence?

Hmmm. This should be interesting.

What debate? Whether you're younger then 12?

Last edited:

A wha?

Can You Be A Buddhist Christian? | Applied Buddhism

Yes, a Christian Buddhist. I was only a Christian. But then began to discover Buddhism, and it filled in some gaps I had as man. I love and respect both religions, but, don't necessarily agree with all parts of them.

If a man said it, it must be possibly flawed, as all men are flawed. Everything that a man has told me about Christianity and Buddhism is possibly flawed, as men are flawed, so I must have an open mind to find the path I feel best about.

Whaaaaat?!

:cuckoo:

So a fat wedding party shoving booze and fried, sugary, fatty foods down their throats, further expanding the bloated "holy temple" of a body they have.....is fine.

Just as long as two fags aint getting murried. Got it.

You see folks, it's ok to sit around and make fun and put down people who are Christians

Because they know they won't have their heads cut off for offending their religious beliefs or a book...

this is what we have gotten for turning the other cheek...Hate and ignorance such as this post and them thinking they have a right to FORCE themselves on us...

You think they'd dare make fun of Muslims or be up in arms if it was one who refused service over their beliefs...?

yet they were ok Obama blamed us for Benghazi because someone offended their religion...

they are big and bad when they know they can keep their heads...

Last edited:

Whaaaaat?!

:cuckoo:

My religious beliefs. That's all. You have yours. I'm very open minded and curious about religion. I've settled into having Christian and Buddhist beliefs. I believe what I believe.

Forum List

Back