Catholicism & Christianity - The Shocking Difference

That path led to people getting married to multiple wives. For decades. That was expressly against what Jesus taught in the New Testament.

1. Jesus never, ever talked about polygamy…

Right. Jesus taught one man, one woman. And never anything different.

Where did he say that?

I already quoted it from Matthew 19. One man, one woman, one husband, one wife. I'm not going to do with you like the atheists attempt, play the duck and dive and "Oh let's pretend I didn't read that". Or "I don't understand these clearly outlined words in my native tongue." I'll speak honestly but I won't play games.

I already quoted it from Matthew 19. One man, one woman, one husband, one wife.

He was speaking of marriage as being between a man and a woman.

It was an accepted practice, in much of the Old Testament, for a man to be in more than one marriage. In fact, as in the example pf Levirate marriage, it was sometimes even commanded. Jesus wasn't saying anything, in Matthew 9, about that.

I'm not going to do with you like the atheists attempt, play the duck and dive and "Oh let's pretend I didn't read that". Or "I don't understand these clearly outlined words in my native tongue." I'll speak honestly but I won't play games.

You cannot even keep your lies straight.

That path led to people getting married to multiple wives. For decades. That was expressly against what Jesus taught in the New Testament.

I already quoted it from Matthew 19. One man, one woman, one husband, one wife.

He was speaking of marriage as being between a man and a woman.

It was an accepted practice, in much of the Old Testament, for a man to be in more than one marriage. In fact, as in the example pf Levirate marriage, it was sometimes even commanded. Jesus wasn't saying anything, in Matthew 9, about that.

I'm not going to do with you like the atheists attempt, play the duck and dive and "Oh let's pretend I didn't read that". Or "I don't understand these clearly outlined words in my native tongue." I'll speak honestly but I won't play games.

You cannot even keep your lies straight.

I think you understood that last part which you keep citing as a "lie". It's not a lie. Monogamy is taught from the Garden, Adam and Eve. People strayed from that plan and took multiple wives, and it appears that for a time God did not immediately punish this. However, Jesus never taught this.

So timeline:

Monogamy taught: Adam and Eve
OT: Israelites stray and permit polygamous marriage
NT: Jesus reaffirms marriage is one man, one woman

You cannot infer from those Levitical Law that polygamy was endorsed. It was regulated for a higher purpose--such as a woman would be left destitute and starving if SOMEone didn't marry her. The Levitical law also gives precepts for adulterous spouses and divorce as well, but you can't say the Bible endorses divorce.

Lastly, if polygamy is so wonderful and God-ordained why did the LDS turn away from it in the first place? Why not keep it intact in all the sects?

There are probably 100 ways to practice Christianity. And probably 1000 other religions. With all the potential benefit that could come from them, I don't have time to criticize yours.

there is only ONE WAY to Heaven, thru Jesus Christ. Repenting of your sins- trusting in his blood on the Cross to cleanse you of all your sins.
What happened to the people before Christ was born?

the law.
WHAT law? People were more primitive then than now.

ANOTHER GREAT VIDEO BY Ray. Street preaching/witnessing.

I am not watching a stupid video with that headline, Catholics are Christian's, so are Mormons ECT..ect...ignorance knows no bounds in this world.

Catholics, Protestants, Coptics, Mormons.... they are all xtian.

Not Mormons. They believe Jesus and Satan are brothers, God is married, and they will all go on to inhabit little planets with their wives and be their own sorta god when they die. Lots of freaky-deaky beliefs in there they try to hide more or less but not Christian.

No they don't..

There are probably 100 ways to practice Christianity. And probably 1000 other religions. With all the potential benefit that could come from them, I don't have time to criticize yours.

Indeed. But Mormonism tragically strays too far from Christian doctrine to be considered Christian

I say this with sorrow, and pray Mormons will come to Christ as revealed in the Scriptures and not their heretical books

Too funny you praying for Mormons. Talk about hypocrisy. You know when the two Mormons boys came to my door, and I told them I was a RC , they were polite as can be and didn't tell me I'm going to hell, unlike the Baptist who turned Evangelicals came with their children to my door and when I told them I was RC, they said I was "not saved". Yet, you are praying for Mormons.

I don't know when you last went to church Penny but you are the veriest Church Lady I have had the displeasure of knowing recently. You have no use for these people, those people, these people are "baskets of deplorables", you want to check those people's papers and deny them any gov't programs.

Get a grip on yourself. Can you? Is it too late?

Too late for me and Evangelicals, I just can't tell you how I despise them.

Good. It would horrible for them if your ilk liked them. It would be a sure sign they're wrong.

there is only ONE WAY to Heaven, thru Jesus Christ. ...

When you will meet Jesus in and on your way then best greetings. But I fear as long as you try to go thru him then he will perhaps turnaround.

footprint_in_the_sand.jpg

Source: Margaret Fishback Powers, "Footprints in the Sand"

Catholics, Protestants, Coptics, Mormons.... they are all xtian.

Not Mormons. They believe Jesus and Satan are brothers, God is married, and they will all go on to inhabit little planets with their wives and be their own sorta god when they die. Lots of freaky-deaky beliefs in there they try to hide more or less but not Christian.

No they don't..
I cannot tell you what Mormons believe as I'm not one. I can tell you that Christians believe that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are co-equal, co-eternal and never were born (they always have been). Together they are ONE GOD and created everything that existed, exists or will ever exist. They are the ONLY GOD to ever exist or ever will. I can tell you this because I am a Christian, and CHRIST is not a Created being. Satan was a created angel who thought far too much of himself... So no, Satan and Jesus could not ever be considered brothers in anyway shape or form. In this both Catholics and Protestants are in full agreement.

Last edited:

there is only ONE WAY to Heaven, thru Jesus Christ. Repenting of your sins- trusting in his blood on the Cross to cleanse you of all your sins.
What happened to the people before Christ was born?

In lots of cases they knew "the way", "the truth" and "the life" by their own heart, because god lived there - and when they turned a ring on the finger then he appeared ... or not ... depending on the will and wisdom of god.

I think you understood that last part which you keep citing as a "lie". It's not a lie. Monogamy is taught from the Garden, Adam and Eve. People strayed from that plan and took multiple wives, and it appears that for a time God did not immediately punish this. However, Jesus never taught this.

So timeline:

You cannot infer from those Levitical Law that polygamy was endorsed. It was regulated for a higher purpose--such as a woman would be left destitute and starving if SOMEone didn't marry her.

It was more than that.

It was considered very important, in those times, for a man to have a male heir. The tradition of Levirate marriage called for the firstborn son of that union to be designated as an heir to the deceased brother. Consider the fate of Onan, some generations earlier, who refused to thus provide an heir for his deceased brother. See Genesis 38:8-10.

The Levitical law also gives precepts for adulterous spouses and divorce as well, but you can't say the Bible endorses divorce.

Lastly, if polygamy is so wonderful and God-ordained why did the LDS turn away from it in the first place? Why not keep it intact in all the sects?

King David had many wives. Did God approve of this, or disapprove?

Look what God said to David, through the prophet Nathan, after David committed adultery with another man's wife, then murdered her husband to cover it up…

2 Samuel 12:8
And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

God gave these wives to David. It's made clear, here, that David did no wrong in having these wives. He only did wrong in taking another man's wife who was not his to take, and in his subsequent actions to cover up his adulterous affair, ultimately to the point of murdering that woman's husband.

So timeline:

You cannot infer from those Levitical Law that polygamy was endorsed. It was regulated for a higher purpose--such as a woman would be left destitute and starving if SOMEone didn't marry her.

It was more than that.

It was considered very important, in those times, for a man to have a male heir. The tradition of Levirate marriage called for the firstborn son of that union to be designated as an heir to the deceased brother. Consider the fate of Onan, some generations earlier, who refused to thus provide an heir for his deceased brother. See Genesis 38:8-10.

The Levitical law also gives precepts for adulterous spouses and divorce as well, but you can't say the Bible endorses divorce.

King David had many wives. Did God approve of this, or disapprove?

Look what God said to David, through the prophet Nathan, after David committed adultery with another man's wife, then murdered her husband to cover it up…

2 Samuel 12:8
And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

God gave these wives to David. It's made clear, here, that David did no wrong in having these wives. He only did wrong in taking another man's wife who was not his to take, and in his subsequent actions to cover up his adulterous affair, ultimately to the point of murdering that woman's husband.

The entire passage is dripping with irony. Nathan is describing David as being a rich man fat with wealth and being far from the Lord's plan--like polygamy. It's not meant to be a woodenly literal passage.

Which brings me back to my original question: if polygamy is so wonderful AND endorsed and promoted by Smith himself why aren't mainstream Mormons doing it today?

Forum List

Back