Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

i only know what's been reported in the papers. st paul's has no lack of students, which may be part of the issue here. the couple attends a UU church but at least one of them was raised as a catholic. our town has excellent public schools and two other private elementary schools. i think that the couple was blindsided by the late reaction of the pastor. my heart goes out to them, but i come back to my question in the OP. why would you send your kid to a school that believes that you as a person are inherently beyond redemption due to your sexual orientation?

Catholic schools in the NE(except for the priest molestation unpleasantness)have reputations of being good schools academically. Perhaps that's what his parents were looking for. And I fail to see what his parents' orientation has to do with this boy....very sad.

i simply cannot believe that people still defend the catholic church with the many revelations that are pouring out about how they hid child abuse. this just proves that the catholic church is control by men for men. all one has to do to see that...is look at the difference in retirements for priests and nuns.

You bring up a good point. Perhaps they are clutching their rosaries over TWO female parents.

The RCC ain't gonna change for a few.
The RCC probably will never change for more than a few, either. I'm glad of it too. It hearkens the end of the RCC's control over it's adherents.

The world will be better off once this despotic and shady organization finally disintegrates.

When I was in Catholic elementary school two of my friends were part of single parent families. One from divorce and the other from mom never marrying.

I doubt there is any Church doctrine that forbids children of single parents and if there ever was it was probably before the 1900s.

I don't know about that, Ravi. I am personally related to a Catholic who didn't marry and their child was not accepted to attend our parochial school--the same school that parent attended as a child.

The reason given was the parents personal circumstances when the child was born did not meet the school's standard. That was back in early 2001, and the child is now heading to public high school, having missed out on a parochial education because her parents never married.
I don't doubt you because schools are allowed to set their own standards but this really makes no sense. My kids have several friends that attend Catholic schools...none of them are Catholic nor are their parents and they certainly weren't married in the Catholic church. Therefore, in the eyes of the church they aren't actually married. And yet they take their kids. :confused:
Perhaps they bought an extra large share of indulgences?

Surprisingly, and as a Catholic, I mainly agree with you. But let's not mix the two issues. This has nothing to do with pedophilia.... it is about a same sex couple. Two totally different issues.

However, personally, I would like to see the Church not punish a child for the 'sins' of the parents. Catholic Schools are a great education - at least mine was - so I would understand any parent wanting to send their kids there.... IF they are Catholic. For non-Catholics, I never understand why you'd want to send your kid to a Catholic School.

I was raised Catholic as well....and what this school has done, is wrong....

They accept the children of the divorced and remarried, which is the children of adulterers....why would they single out this child due to his parent's relationship?

It's utter bullcrap and I am CERTAIN to the bottom of my soul, that Jesus Christ would NEVER take this action against this child as this Church school has done.

And Christ spoke on this in the Bible....we have the example of the prostitute, that the pharisees commented to jesus on...saying if He knew what this woman was He would not welcome her in the manner he did.... and Jesus replied, this woman has wiped my feet with her hair and tears....she has anointed me with her special oil....

These pharisees and other holier than thous, were making fun of Jesus because he ACCEPTED THIS SINNER and showed her respect....

the Church is wrong.

It's probably because adultery is a sin and having same sex relations is an abominable sin.
I thought all sins were equal to Christians.

It's probably because adultery is a sin and having same sex relations is an abominable sin.

bullcrapola froggy....Christ TAUGHT that SIN IS SIN....a murderer equal to an adulterer....through Him, and His sacrafice, ALL our sins are forgiven.

read your Bible....KNOW the Word.

There is only ONE unforgivable sin, and that is to sin against the Holy Spirit, as the pharisees did when they accused jesus's miracles....as miracles from Beelzebub.....instead of acknowledging they were from the Holy Spirit.

Read Leviticus

I thought Christians don't reference the OT. But if they do....how come they don't follow ALL of Leviticus?

i simply cannot believe that people still defend the catholic church with the many revelations that are pouring out about how they hid child abuse. this just proves that the catholic church is control by men for men. all one has to do to see that...is look at the difference in retirements for priests and nuns.

monolithic religion was created by men, for men. In prehistoric times, women were also worshiped as goddesses, and human women had more agency. This did not sit well over time, and them men got together.

Go to any Magazine Stand, or Google "Goddess."

Women are still worshipped as goddesses.

And don't you forget it!!!!

Go to any Magazine Stand, or Google "Goddess."

Women are still worshipped as goddesses.

Yes, we are, and in the religious sense as well :lol:

But my point was that monolithic religion sought and in high percentages suppressed the idea of female divinity, and that they did so to suppress human female agency.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

But I doubt it was done so capriciously.

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

The whole concept of us bleeding without dying...giving birth...that whole thing scared the crap out of them.

Yes, we are, and in the religious sense as well :lol:

But my point was that monolithic religion sought and in high percentages suppressed the idea of female divinity, and that they did so to suppress human female agency.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

But I doubt it was done so capriciously.

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

Hear that sucking sound?
Everytime you post....yes.

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

Simple, they want an excuse to sue the school and get money. The lesbians are using their son and IMO that proves they aren't responsible enough to be parents. They could have taken him to any non-religious private school, but they took him where they knew they wouldn't be accepted and their child is the one that pays the price. I'm so sick of parents who don't put their kids first.

Proof please.

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

I know a single Mom whose child wasn't accepted to our Catholic school because the mother and father never married and the Church/School said that because this child was born out of wedlock, he/she could not attend the Catholic school because "acceptance of this child's circumstances was not in keeping with the Church's teaching nor the school's standards".

Period. NO discussion. No media blitz. Just outright rejection because they child's parents never married.

The child was a BAPTIZED CATHOLIC, and still, they held to "a standard".

Where's the outrage for that poor child? :eusa_think:

Yeah..... :rolleyes:

How did you hear about it? Sounds like someone complained about it.

Sure you can, but that doesn't mean the RCC has to bless or acknoiwledge a civil ceremony.

I didn't marry in the Church, I had a civil ceremony. The Church never acknowledged my marriage as being a marriage.

Consequently, when we divorced, the Church did not see me as divorced, since I was never married in their eyes. I am eligible to marry in the Church should I ever decide I want to remarry.

Had my first marriage taken place in a Catholic Church, I would now not be eligible to take part in Holy Communion or the Sacrament of Marriage. Since I had a civil marriage and a civil divorce, I am eligible for both.

I know the rules are difficult to grasp to non-Catholics, but we know what the rules are and we are free to follow them--or not. But if we don't, we don't have room to piss and moan. The rules are the rules and they've always been so. The RCC ain't gonna change for a few.

My wife is/was Catholic and we were married in the Catholic church.
As I stated earlier, I believe the church can do what they want.
Many churches act childish every day so another won't make a difference.
As a result of it the kikds once again suffer from the absurd actions of adults.
And you wonder why millions are running from that to open door non denominational churches.
Americans are finally getting it.

The Catholic Church does not force anyone to be or remain a Catholic. The Church isn't gonna change - it never has - because it does not follow trends, it leads by example. You know where you are with the Church. Like it or not - it is of no consequence.

So, services are still in Latin, women have to come to Mass covered, and there is no meat on Fridays?

My wife is/was Catholic and we were married in the Catholic church.
As I stated earlier, I believe the church can do what they want.
Many churches act childish every day so another won't make a difference.
As a result of it the kikds once again suffer from the absurd actions of adults.
And you wonder why millions are running from that to open door non denominational churches.
Americans are finally getting it.

The Catholic Church does not force anyone to be or remain a Catholic. The Church isn't gonna change - it never has - because it does not follow trends, it leads by example. You know where you are with the Church. Like it or not - it is of no consequence.

So, services are still in Latin, women have to come to Mass covered, and there is no meat on Fridays?

And how about the Nuns and their habits?

Not in the Catholic church they aren't.

they're just as married as i am, and the church would take my kids in school in a heartbeat. i just heard on the radio that the archdioces apologized and offered a place in another school for the kid.

You would think Christians would want to accept others to their schools and such to learn about the Lord, instead of turning them away, wouldn't you.

Glad at least the Archdioces have apologized and have offered those children another school to go to.

As for those wanting to punish a child from going to a church because of their parents life style choices, that's not very Christian like, is it?

No, I wouldn't think that. Accepting non-Christians and teaching them about the Lord is the job of churches, not church schools. Church schools are about furthering the faith-based education of the offspring of those who've already found the faith through the church.

I fail to see how being rejected by a private school for not meeting their criteria is "punishing" the child. Are you suggesting, then, that a child rejected for admission for not meeting the self-sufficiency requirement that's standard for kindergartens is ALSO "punishing" him? How about private schools that reject students because their families can't meet the tuition requirements? Should private schools be required to accept all comers, just so you can feel good about how no children are being "punished"?

I'm very, VERY tired of people trying to define "Christian" as "abandoning all standards of behavior and doctrine and refusing to act on our beliefs so that people think we're nice".

they're just as married as i am, and the church would take my kids in school in a heartbeat. i just heard on the radio that the archdioces apologized and offered a place in another school for the kid.

So they were married by a Catholic priest?

I highly doubt it.

Given the church's historical stance on queer marriage, I really don't think they are giving a nod and a wink and accepting anything the queer parties say as evidence there's a holy sacrament in place.

no, dipshit, they're legally married. try to keep up

The Catholic Church doesn't take its beliefs from the secular laws. Try to keep up.

Sometimes activism is synonymous with the best interests of the children.

Never when you put the child in the middle.
Then speak to the Catholic school. They are the ones who made an issue of the parent's gender.

And I disagree about "never". Whatever turmoil this kid may be going through, he will come out to a better world, having seen the school reverse it's stupid decision and for having had the example of brave and upright parents..

No, they didn't. They behaved exactly as what they presented themselves to be. It was the lesbian couple who made an issue of it by expecting the Catholic Church to be something other than what it has always been. What, was it some sort of surprise to them that the Church doesn't endorse homosexuality? Is this a newsflash, a bolt from on high? They just found this out, did they?

Yeah, it's always brave to start a media shitstorm in order to force your will, desires, and beliefs onto others. Really "upright" and laudable. Glad to know that leftists are consistent in their utter disregard for the rights of anyone other than themselves. It would definitely be a shock if any of them ever stopped being self-absorbed tweekos.

Only lesson this kid learned is if you whine enough, you can pretend the whole world revolves around you forever.

Forum List

Back