Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

When I was in Catholic elementary school two of my friends were part of single parent families. One from divorce and the other from mom never marrying.

I doubt there is any Church doctrine that forbids children of single parents and if there ever was it was probably before the 1900s.

except they're married...
No, they are not.

yes, they are.
they are legally as married as my wife and i am.

you can stomp your feet and bitch and moan about gay marriage, but it doesn't change the fact that they are indeed married in the eyes of the law.

Not in the Roman Catholic Church they are *not*.

The RCC does NOT accept or acknowledge gay civil marriages, or gay religious marriage ceremonies.

In the eyes of the Church, a Catholic is NOT married unless their union has been blessed by the Sacrament of Marriage adminstered by a Roman Catholic priest.

As a result, the Church often does not acknowledge the children of unions not meeting that standard---including gay life partners and heterosexual defacto spouses.

While I don't necessarily agree with the ruling of the school, the separation of Church and State should work both ways. If public prayers are so offensive, then the Government can fuck off and mind it's own business about who the Church's schools do or do not accept.

While I don't necessarily agree with the ruling of the school, the separation of Church and State should work both ways. If public prayers are so offensive, then the Government can fuck off and mind it's own business about who the Church's schools do or do not accept.
Del is the government? :eek:

When I was in Catholic elementary school two of my friends were part of single parent families. One from divorce and the other from mom never marrying.

I doubt there is any Church doctrine that forbids children of single parents and if there ever was it was probably before the 1900s.

I don't know about that, Ravi. I am personally related to a Catholic who didn't marry and their child was not accepted to attend our parochial school--the same school that parent attended as a child.

The reason given was the parents personal circumstances when the child was born did not meet the school's standard. That was back in early 2001, and the child is now heading to public high school, having missed out on a parochial education because her parents never married.

No, they are not.

yes, they are.

you can stomp your feet and bitch and moan about gay marriage, but it doesn't change the fact that they are indeed married in the eyes of the law.

And marriage is a legal contract where the Constitution does not state anything about the legalities of it.
You can get married anywhere with a judge.
The sooner we get religion out of marriage for those that do not want it the better.

Sure you can, but that doesn't mean the RCC has to bless or acknoiwledge a civil ceremony.

I didn't marry in the Church, I had a civil ceremony. The Church never acknowledged my marriage as being a marriage.

Consequently, when we divorced, the Church did not see me as divorced, since I was never married in their eyes. I am eligible to marry in the Church should I ever decide I want to remarry.

Had my first marriage taken place in a Catholic Church, I would now not be eligible to take part in Holy Communion or the Sacrament of Marriage. Since I had a civil marriage and a civil divorce, I am eligible for both.

I know the rules are difficult to grasp to non-Catholics, but we know what the rules are and we are free to follow them--or not. But if we don't, we don't have room to piss and moan. The rules are the rules and they've always been so. The RCC ain't gonna change for a few.

Given the church's historical stance on queer marriage, I really don't think they are giving a nod and a wink and accepting anything the queer parties say as evidence there's a holy sacrament in place.
Since when was the Church in the practice of rejecting children borne out of wedlock? Even if his biological mother is unmarried in the eyes of the Church, this has never been a problem before, as there are plenty of Catholic schoolchildren with divorced (or unknown) parents.

Disgusting.

Actually, E7, you're wrong. The Church did, until quite recently, often turn down the child of a single parent.

And, the parents 'legal' status is neither here nor there to the Church - unless they are married in the eyes of the Church (ie married in the Catholic Church), then the Church does not necessarily recognize their marriage. It is only in the past few decades that the Catholic Church recognized marriages from other Churches.
this is not accurate.

Since when was the Church in the practice of rejecting children borne out of wedlock? Even if his biological mother is unmarried in the eyes of the Church, this has never been a problem before, as there are plenty of Catholic schoolchildren with divorced (or unknown) parents.

Disgusting.

Actually, E7, you're wrong. The Church did, until quite recently, often turn down the child of a single parent.

And, the parents 'legal' status is neither here nor there to the Church - unless they are married in the eyes of the Church (ie married in the Catholic Church), then the Church does not necessarily recognize their marriage. It is only in the past few decades that the Catholic Church recognized marriages from other Churches.
this is not accurate.

Yes it is. I am personally related to a child whose parents never married. The RC school the child's parents attended rejected the child due to the parents circumstances.

This happened in early 2001 and my nephew is now heading to public high school, gypped out of a Catholic education because his parents never married.

Disgusting.

this is not accurate.

Yes it is. People often think that the Church operates under one overall policy on such matters. It does not. It is often left to the individual schools or diocese. Some Bishops are more flexible than others.... it has been this way for decades.

yes, they are.

And marriage is a legal contract where the Constitution does not state anything about the legalities of it.
The sooner we get religion out of marriage for those that do not want it the better.

Sure you can, but that doesn't mean the RCC has to bless or acknoiwledge a civil ceremony.

I didn't marry in the Church, I had a civil ceremony. The Church never acknowledged my marriage as being a marriage.

Consequently, when we divorced, the Church did not see me as divorced, since I was never married in their eyes. I am eligible to marry in the Church should I ever decide I want to remarry.

Had my first marriage taken place in a Catholic Church, I would now not be eligible to take part in Holy Communion or the Sacrament of Marriage. Since I had a civil marriage and a civil divorce, I am eligible for both.

I know the rules are difficult to grasp to non-Catholics, but we know what the rules are and we are free to follow them--or not. But if we don't, we don't have room to piss and moan. The rules are the rules and they've always been so. The RCC ain't gonna change for a few.

My wife is/was Catholic and we were married in the Catholic church.
As I stated earlier, I believe the church can do what they want.
Many churches act childish every day so another won't make a difference.
As a result of it the kikds once again suffer from the absurd actions of adults.
And you wonder why millions are running from that to open door non denominational churches.
Americans are finally getting it.

As a result of it the kikds once again suffer from the absurd actions of adults.
And you wonder why millions are running from that to open door non denominational churches.

The Catholic Church does not force anyone to be or remain a Catholic. The Church isn't gonna change - it never has - because it does not follow trends, it leads by example. You know where you are with the Church. Like it or not - it is of no consequence.

I don't know about that, Ravi. I am personally related to a Catholic who didn't marry and their child was not accepted to attend our parochial school--the same school that parent attended as a child.

The reason given was the parents personal circumstances when the child was born did not meet the school's standard. That was back in early 2001, and the child is now heading to public high school, having missed out on a parochial education because her parents never married.
I don't doubt you because schools are allowed to set their own standards but this really makes no sense. My kids have several friends that attend Catholic schools...none of them are Catholic nor are their parents and they certainly weren't married in the Catholic church. Therefore, in the eyes of the church they aren't actually married. And yet they take their kids. :confused:

this is not accurate.

Yes it is. People often think that the Church operates under one overall policy on such matters. It does not. It is often left to the individual schools or diocese. Some Bishops are more flexible than others.... it has been this way for decades.

That is absolutely correct in the American RCC. A little bit of autonomy is allowed and we saw it from the Atlanta diocese changing to the rural dioceses in Georgia.

Now, I'll be honest... I think these are bad parents. I think they've prioritized activism ahead of the best interests of their child,

Sometimes activism is synonymous with the best interests of the children.

Never when you put the child in the middle.
Then speak to the Catholic school. They are the ones who made an issue of the parent's gender.

And I disagree about "never". Whatever turmoil this kid may be going through, he will come out to a better world, having seen the school reverse it's stupid decision and for having had the example of brave and upright parents..

that's right, and i'm here to help.

:eusa_whistle:

this is not accurate.

:eusa_shhh: You're the one that said it was The Church. :lol:

that's right, and i'm here to help.

:eusa_whistle:
Uh...the driveway? How long is it going to take you for heaven's sake???

Since I didn't address the comment to anyone, exactly how did you make that connection?

On second thoughts, don't bother explaining it.... I doubt even you understand how your mind works.

The Catholic Church does not force anyone to be or remain a Catholic. The Church isn't gonna change - it never has - because it does not follow trends, it leads by example. You know where you are with the Church. Like it or not - it is of no consequence.

I agree.
In the Catholic church the church, not the congregation, run the show.

Forum List

Back