Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

Actually, E7, you're wrong. The Church did, until quite recently, often turn down the child of a single parent.

And, the parents 'legal' status is neither here nor there to the Church - unless they are married in the eyes of the Church (ie married in the Catholic Church), then the Church does not necessarily recognize their marriage. It is only in the past few decades that the Catholic Church recognized marriages from other Churches.
this is not accurate.

Yes it is. People often think that the Church operates under one overall policy on such matters. It does not. It is often left to the individual schools or diocese. Some Bishops are more flexible than others.... it has been this way for decades.

perhaps that's my point: 'the church...' could be the prelude to an inherent fallacy, granted that a diocese or school principal has some latitude with their decisions.

i'm sure someone could drum up some hearsay or personal experience somewhere to support your contention that catholic schools discriminate against single parent families, but my personal experience is the direct opposite - that the catholic schools i went to supported my mom's efforts to educate my brother and i despite our father being MIA.

Actually, E7, you're wrong. The Church did, until quite recently, often turn down the child of a single parent.

And, the parents 'legal' status is neither here nor there to the Church - unless they are married in the eyes of the Church (ie married in the Catholic Church), then the Church does not necessarily recognize their marriage. It is only in the past few decades that the Catholic Church recognized marriages from other Churches.
this is not accurate.

Yes it is. I am personally related to a child whose parents never married. The RC school the child's parents attended rejected the child due to the parents circumstances.

This happened in early 2001 and my nephew is now heading to public high school, gypped out of a Catholic education because his parents never married.

see: an anecdote to demonstrate that there's a bit of autonomy between the pope and every individual school.

i would only note that unwed parents are not a single parent. :doubt:

Actually I am not sure lesbos would come under the sin against homosexuality.

This is the actual prohibition from Leviticus 18

22. You shall not lie down with a male, as with a woman: this is an abomination.

It comes under the heading "lewd" "lecherous" and "fornicating".

All frowned upon, as any sort of sex outside of marriage is.

Oh please. Did anyone here have any religous instruction other than doctrine?
Hebrew law at the time of Jesus required a man to marry his brother's widow.
Marriage has mostly been a family decision dealing with the division of property,property rights and the protection of bloodlines. Families arranged marriages and love was not part of it.
Obviously you have very little knowledge about judaism and jewish marriages.

All this comes from jewish scripture.

Marriage Tips and Quotes on Marriage

The source of intimacy is Knowledge.
The more we know about your companion,
the better we can help them be healed and whole
with our love and attention.

You cannot be empty
and expect your partner to fill up your emptiness.

No one can give us what we need to give ourselves.

Husband and wife are the center.

Raising successful children is:
50% Davening (Prayer)
50% Shalom Bais (Peace in the home)

The home revolves around the relationship
between husband and wife.
The security of this loving relationship
is the foundation of the home.

Give you marriage the attention it deserves.
If we don’t move forward in marriage,
the marriage moves backward.

Is marriage an affirmation of who I am?
We walk around with a bottomless pit
of hurt and doubt about our self-worth.
We bring these with us into marriage
and look to our partner to affirm that we are loveable.

You can change your marriage by changing only yourself.

You don’t have to agree; you just have to affirm.

Encouraging excellence in your beloved companion...
A friend leaves your freedom intact,
but because of how highly he thinks of you,
obliges you to become fully who you are.

The secret to loving is giving.
God is a giver.
He never takes.

You have to love and respect yourself first
before you can lvoe and respect another.

Comfort is not self-esteem.
What do you respect in others?
Develop that in yourself.

Draw up a marriage proposal.
Negotiate gradual change.
What is it you would like from me in our partnership?
What would I like from you?

Respect and affection are the main ingredients of love.
Respect and affection are a tapestry woven
through many hours and years of practice and shared affection.

Considering SSM is against Church teaching, I don't see any reason to accept their kid.

They should know that by now, why even try in the first place?

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

Perhaps they're thinking about all the other parents that send their kids to this school with the expectation that they won't be exposed to a lifestyle they find abhorrent.

Just a thought.

this is not accurate.

Yes it is. I am personally related to a child whose parents never married. The RC school the child's parents attended rejected the child due to the parents circumstances.

This happened in early 2001 and my nephew is now heading to public high school, gypped out of a Catholic education because his parents never married.

see: an anecdote to demonstrate that there's a bit of autonomy between the pope and every individual school.

Unwed parents who don't live together and aren't married to one another (or anyone else) most certainly ARE SINGLE PARENTS.

As is the case with my relative(s).

Doh! :eusa_doh:

Unwed parents who don't live together and aren't married to one another (or anyone else) most certainly ARE SINGLE PARENTS.

In the state of Massachusetts gay couples marry and would not be unwed parents. Frankly, I don't understand why healthy self-esteem non-catholic lesbian parents want their kid to go to a catholic school?

Last edited:
this is not accurate.

Yes it is. People often think that the Church operates under one overall policy on such matters. It does not. It is often left to the individual schools or diocese. Some Bishops are more flexible than others.... it has been this way for decades.

perhaps that's my point: 'the church...' could be the prelude to an inherent fallacy, granted that a diocese or school principal has some latitude with their decisions.

i'm sure someone could drum up some hearsay or personal experience somewhere to support your contention that catholic schools discriminate against single parent families, but my personal experience is the direct opposite - that the catholic schools i went to supported my mom's efforts to educate my brother and i despite our father being MIA.

Good for you! I'm actually glad to hear that!

Our family's personal experience has been the exact opposite. In spite of the fact my parents sent FOUR children through our parochial school from K-8 and spent tons of their time, talent and treasure on our education, when it came to this grandson whose parents never married, the school said "sorry, no room for a kid born out of wedlock".

:redface: what do i know?

that's a mess.

supply, demand and morality in flux, huh?

In the state of Massachusetts gay couples marry and would not be unwed parents. Frankly, I don't understand why healthy self-esteem non-catholic lesbian parents want their kid to go to a catholic school?

do you think the church is trying to recognize gay marriages? c'mon.

catholic schools are the most available, best bang-for-buck proven private education system in america. nothing comes even remotely close. perhaps that's why.

this is not accurate.

Having a father who is MIA may indicate a poor choice in the past...or may simply indicate the mother is a victim.

Living openly in a sexual relationship with a member of the same sex, while complaining about a parochial school denying your kid admission, is flipping a big old shitty bird to the church while mooning them.

Glad to know that leftists are consistent in their utter disregard for the rights of anyone other than themselves.

Are you blind or something? The very first fucking post said they have a right to refuse them.

But God forbid people complain about their decision, that would violate the school's non-existent right to be immune from criticism.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
While I don't necessarily agree with the ruling of the school, the separation of Church and State should work both ways. If public prayers are so offensive, then the Government can fuck off and mind it's own business about who the Church's schools do or do not accept.

For the 500th time prayers were not 'banned' because they were offensive they were 'banned' because a school or government led prayer is a state endorsing a religion which shouldn't happen under separation of church and state.

My wife is/was Catholic and we were married in the Catholic church.
As I stated earlier, I believe the church can do what they want.
Many churches act childish every day so another won't make a difference.
As a result of it the kikds once again suffer from the absurd actions of adults.
And you wonder why millions are running from that to open door non denominational churches.
Americans are finally getting it.

The Catholic Church does not force anyone to be or remain a Catholic. The Church isn't gonna change - it never has - because it does not follow trends, it leads by example. You know where you are with the Church. Like it or not - it is of no consequence.

So, services are still in Latin, women have to come to Mass covered, and there is no meat on Fridays?

None of the examples you site were ever Church doctrine.

:redface: what do i know?

that's a mess.

supply, demand and morality in flux, huh?

Congratulations! You're as shitty and judgemental as the ass who denied my nephew admission to the same school his parents attended as children.

What a fucking moron you are!

do you think the church is trying to recognize gay marriages? c'mon.

NO, and the Church isn't going to ever. The Church has taken a speific position on homosexuality and gay marriage. That position isn't going to change.

antagon said:
catholic schools are the most available, best bang-for-buck proven private education system in america. nothing comes even remotely close. perhaps that's why.

This is true, but he mission of a Catholic school is (basically) to produce new generations of Catholics--who adhere to Church Doctrine and the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church.

That would not include children being raised by parents who are of the same gender and "married". Their marriage (just like a civil heterosexual marriage) is NOT recognized by the Church as valid. Homosexual "Marriage" is in direct oppostion to the RCC teachings. Period.

Marriage in the Roman Catholic Church is a SACRAMENT (as in SACRED, root word ;) ), just the same as Baptism, Confession (ie, aka Reconciliation), Confirmation, and Extreme Unction/Last Rites.

In order to be recognized by the RCC, a marriage must be conducted and blessed by a PRIEST in a Matrimonial MASS extending the SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE to the couple.

A RCC Priest is officially barred from "blessing" or "marrying" two people of the same sex. And...if a heterosexual couple get married at the courthouse, but don't have their marriage blessed by a Priest, the RCC also does not recognize their vows/marriage as being valid. Basically they are treated the same as a homosexual "married' couple. As in, they are NOT married in the view of the Church.

The End.

i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

IMO, it sounds like the parents are looking to become martyrs for a cause that they really have no right to crusade on. Not only that, but they are involving an 8 year old who has no business being in the middle of it. Pretty despicable IMO.

Why don't they try to send the kid to the Westboro Baptist school while they are at it, and get their names in the paper when they don't accept him there either?

i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

IMO, it sounds like the parents are looking to become martyrs for a cause that they really have no right to crusade on. Not only that, but they are involving an 8 year old who has no business being in the middle of it. Pretty despicable IMO.

That's *exactly* what they're doing, and they're using their child as a weapon/tool to do it. VERY dispicable.

RadiomanATL said:
Why don't they try to send the kid to the Westboro Baptist school while they are at it, and get their names in the paper when they don't accept him there either?

Yep. But they won't. They want to take on the RCC and force the RCC to change after 2000 years. Pretty ambitious (and dispicable too) ;)

No shit!

And like I said earlier, what about the parents of other students who are paying for the expectation that their kids won't be learning about homosexuality in grade school.

Whether the decision is purely dogmatic or if it's about business, it is sound, no matter how many Catholic-hating douchers it pisses off.

Forum List

Back