Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by del, May 13, 2010.

1. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,747
    Catholic schools have a reputation for a decent and disciplined education so I can understand why someone would send their kid there. Plus, even lesbians believe.

I think it's silly to not let the kid go...why is sex even a consideration?

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

4. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Why would the Lessie's want him in a catholic school, isn't the child already being abused enough.

5. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i only know what's been reported in the papers. st paul's has no lack of students, which may be part of the issue here. the couple attends a UU church but at least one of them was raised as a catholic. our town has excellent public schools and two other private elementary schools. i think that the couple was blindsided by the late reaction of the pastor. my heart goes out to them, but i come back to my question in the OP. why would you send your kid to a school that believes that you as a person are inherently beyond redemption due to your sexual orientation?

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,022
    of course the school, as a private school can deny who they wish....

but this is a very poor and unchristian like behavior....very hypocrital, and in opposite of Jesus Christ who came to earth, FOR SINNERS, not for the righteous...according to Him.

A church that has kept on their pedophile priests, in the name of ''forgiveness and compassion'' is being hypocritical....imo, and are outright wrong to hurt this child in this manner....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Their relationship is 'in discord' with the Church's teachings. Seems clear enough to me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i understand the church's position, although i disagree with it. that's one of the reasons i left it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Surprisingly, and as a Catholic, I mainly agree with you. But let's not mix the two issues. This has nothing to do with pedophilia.... it is about a same sex couple. Two totally different issues.

However, personally, I would like to see the Church not punish a child for the 'sins' of the parents. Catholic Schools are a great education - at least mine was - so I would understand any parent wanting to send their kids there.... IF they are Catholic. For non-Catholics, I never understand why you'd want to send your kid to a Catholic School.

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    try not to be too ignorant, otay?