Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

Catholic schools have a reputation for a decent and disciplined education so I can understand why someone would send their kid there. Plus, even lesbians believe.

I think it's silly to not let the kid go...why is sex even a consideration?

Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

Why would the Lessie's want him in a catholic school, isn't the child already being abused enough.

• Banned
Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

i only know what's been reported in the papers. st paul's has no lack of students, which may be part of the issue here. the couple attends a UU church but at least one of them was raised as a catholic. our town has excellent public schools and two other private elementary schools. i think that the couple was blindsided by the late reaction of the pastor. my heart goes out to them, but i come back to my question in the OP. why would you send your kid to a school that believes that you as a person are inherently beyond redemption due to your sexual orientation?

of course the school, as a private school can deny who they wish....

but this is a very poor and unchristian like behavior....very hypocrital, and in opposite of Jesus Christ who came to earth, FOR SINNERS, not for the righteous...according to Him.

A church that has kept on their pedophile priests, in the name of ''forgiveness and compassion'' is being hypocritical....imo, and are outright wrong to hurt this child in this manner....

but this is a very poor and unchristian like behavior....very hypocrital, and in opposite of Jesus Christ who came to earth, FOR SINNERS, not for the righteous...according to Him.

A church that has kept on their pedophile priests, in the name of ''forgiveness and compassion'' is being hypocritical....imo, and are outright wrong to hurt this child in this manner....

Surprisingly, and as a Catholic, I mainly agree with you. But let's not mix the two issues. This has nothing to do with pedophilia.... it is about a same sex couple. Two totally different issues.

However, personally, I would like to see the Church not punish a child for the 'sins' of the parents. Catholic Schools are a great education - at least mine was - so I would understand any parent wanting to send their kids there.... IF they are Catholic. For non-Catholics, I never understand why you'd want to send your kid to a Catholic School.

Their relationship is 'in discord' with the Church's teachings. Seems clear enough to me.

i understand the church's position, although i disagree with it. that's one of the reasons i left it.

Being Catholic, and having gay friends, I can see both sides of it. Personally, I figure I'll let God judge it.

me too. this isn't my only area of disagreement with the church's teachings; in fact, it's pretty far down the list. birth control, abortion, and the divinity of christ come to mind. as you said, i'll let the creator judge it and me.

i understand the church's position, although i disagree with it. that's one of the reasons i left it.

Being Catholic, and having gay friends, I can see both sides of it. Personally, I figure I'll let God judge it.

me too. this isn't my only area of disagreement with the church's teachings; in fact, it's pretty far down the list. birth control, abortion, and the divinity of christ come to mind. as you said, i'll let the creator judge it and me.

Yep, there are areas of the Church's teachings that I don't necessarily agree with.... birth control is one.... Abortion, I have their back 100% - BUT - I am not inclined to tell others that they cannot have an abortion because it is against my beliefs. I won't support pro-choice but I'll live with it. My theory on shit like that, let God sort it out. Only He knows what is in someone's heart. I try not to sit in judgement of other people.

Yep, there are areas of the Church's teachings that I don't necessarily agree with.... birth control is one.... Abortion, I have their back 100% - BUT - I am not inclined to tell others that they cannot have an abortion because it is against my beliefs. I won't support pro-choice but I'll live with it. My theory on shit like that, let God sort it out. Only He knows what is in someone's heart. I try not to sit in judgement of other people.

Your a rail spliter, eh oh did i just judge you?

Your a rail spliter, eh oh did i just judge you?

judgment presumes intellect so, no, you didn't.

good effort though :thup:

Surprisingly, and as a Catholic, I mainly agree with you. But let's not mix the two issues. This has nothing to do with pedophilia.... it is about a same sex couple. Two totally different issues.

However, personally, I would like to see the Church not punish a child for the 'sins' of the parents. Catholic Schools are a great education - at least mine was - so I would understand any parent wanting to send their kids there.... IF they are Catholic. For non-Catholics, I never understand why you'd want to send your kid to a Catholic School.

I was raised Catholic as well....and what this school has done, is wrong....

They accept the children of the divorced and remarried, which is the children of adulterers....why would they single out this child due to his parent's relationship?

It's utter bullcrap and I am CERTAIN to the bottom of my soul, that Jesus Christ would NEVER take this action against this child as this Church school has done.

And Christ spoke on this in the Bible....we have the example of the prostitute, that the pharisees commented to jesus on...saying if He knew what this woman was He would not welcome her in the manner he did.... and Jesus replied, this woman has wiped my feet with her hair and tears....she has anointed me with her special oil....

These pharisees and other holier than thous, were making fun of Jesus because he ACCEPTED THIS SINNER and showed her respect....

the Church is wrong.

They accept the children of the divorced and remarried, which is the children of adulterers....why would they single out this child due to his parent's relationship?

It's utter bullcrap and I am CERTAIN to the bottom of my soul, that Jesus Christ would NEVER take this action against this child as this Church school has done.

And Christ spoke on this in the Bible....we have the example of the prostitute, that the pharisees commented to jesus on...saying if He knew what this woman was He would not welcome her in the manner he did.... and Jesus replied, this woman has wiped my feet with her hair and tears....she has anointed me with her special oil....

These pharisees and other holier than thous, were making fun of Jesus because he ACCEPTED THIS SINNER and showed her respect....

the Church is wrong.

I'm not gonna defend the School's position on it, because I also disagree with it. However, it's a Catholic School and, as such, they have the right to accept or reject as they see fit.

i simply cannot believe that people still defend the catholic church with the many revelations that are pouring out about how they hid child abuse. this just proves that the catholic church is control by men for men. all one has to do to see that...is look at the difference in retirements for priests and nuns.

but this is a very poor and unchristian like behavior....very hypocritical, and in opposite of Jesus Christ who came to earth, FOR SINNERS, not for the righteous...according to Him.

the Church is wrong.

It's probably because adultery is a sin and having same sex relations is an abominable sin.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back